The Student Room Group

Does failing a year effect student finance?

I already have a place secured at a different university for this September but I'm currently in my first year at a different university/subject. Does failing this year or being expected to retake effect if I'll receive my student finance? Or my offers at other universities next year?
Original post by Planetrench
I already have a place secured at a different university for this September but I'm currently in my first year at a different university/subject. Does failing this year or being expected to retake effect if I'll receive my student finance? Or my offers at other universities next year?

Is your offer at your new uni conditional on passing this year at your current uni?
Reply 2
Original post by normaw
Is your offer at your new uni conditional on passing this year at your current uni?
No, it's an unconditional offer based off of previous qualifications.
Original post by Planetrench
No, it's an unconditional offer based off of previous qualifications.

Then you won't need to retake if you fail. There won't be any impact on your student finance.
Reply 4
Original post by normaw
Then you won't need to retake if you fail. There won't be any impact on your student finance.
Thanks
Well, it will have an impact on your student finance in the sense that you will have used one of your years of funding - you get funding equal to "length of degree + 1 year (gift year) - number of years of prior study at university level". So this failing year at another university would use up your "gift year" so you will have exactly enough funding left to complete the new course - but if you need to repeat a year on the new course, or change course again, you won't have full funding left.

So as long as in the new course you don't need to repeat (and you don't change course again) it won't have any direct impact on you. But it's good to be aware that this may cause issues later if you do need to repeat a year or change your mind again - so be very sure the course you are going into is for you and that you can succeed in it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending