The Student Room Group

My parents don't want me to do BTEC but its what I feel I need

My parents are devout believers of exams and the importance of hard books and always complain when I use my laptop for homework ( my school posts my homework on there) and no matter hard much I argue, they never waver away from it. Anyway, the topic of BTEC or A-levels arose in the car and I told my dad that I wish to do BTEC because I've got a clear image of what I want to do but instead I got firmly screamed at and told that I won't achieve anything in life ( I don't know how that makes sense) and how I won't get the most money out of anything I do ( again still doesn't make sense -_-) and that A -levels are what is needed to thrive in this society or whatever. I then told him that colleges and universities allow BTEC as well as A- levels but he told me that "he didn't what this conversation to come up AGAIN. After that I just kept my mouth shut and just stayed quiet thinking about what happened. I had my heart set on doing BTEC but it was shot down so easily.. I-I didn't know what to do. Do you think my dad was right and I should be doing A-levels? Does anyone have any advice? Also can I do BTEC nonetheless and can my parents stop me or not?

Scroll to see replies

my 1st Q would be why is your heart set on a BTEC, is there a specific vocational course they offer that A level doesn't?

I'm a mature student but my BTEC/C&G (L2 dip) did everything I needed, it let me jump to Higher National qualifications (uni yr 1 & 2 equiv), and from there to a full BSc program yr 3, same timeframe as highers. no regrets at all now about not having them now

My dad is pretty old fashioned and just doesn't really get that there's a lot more crossover now from 'Uni' and 'College' in terms of qualifications and what he grew up with.
Original post by nre5n346n34
My parents are devout believers of exams and the importance of hard books and always complain when I use my laptop for homework ( my school posts my homework on there) and no matter hard much I argue, they never waver away from it. Anyway, the topic of BTEC or A-levels arose in the car and I told my dad that I wish to do BTEC because I've got a clear image of what I want to do but instead I got firmly screamed at and told that I won't achieve anything in life ( I don't know how that makes sense) and how I won't get the most money out of anything I do ( again still doesn't make sense -_-) and that A -levels are what is needed to thrive in this society or whatever. I then told him that colleges and universities allow BTEC as well as A- levels but he told me that "he didn't what this conversation to come up AGAIN. After that I just kept my mouth shut and just stayed quiet thinking about what happened. I had my heart set on doing BTEC but it was shot down so easily.. I-I didn't know what to do. Do you think my dad was right and I should be doing A-levels? Does anyone have any advice? Also can I do BTEC nonetheless and can my parents stop me or not?

I suppose y.our parents do legally have control until you are 18 and it will be very difficult to live with them.

The issues you have not said here is which BTEC you want to take and why and what you intend doing post 18.

There are a few universities who dont accept BTECs but these tend to be the very top. BTECs are not accepted for some courses such as medicine.

You are right that BTECs are accepted for most universities but often only in certain subjects. Also you can sometimes find that an A level such as Maths or Chemistry is also required on top.

You need to fully research your future plans to make sure that your plans are correct.

As far as who wins your argument it seems your father is a very dominant parent and probably thinks like many others that A levels are the only route. They are out of touch with reality but make sure you cover your boxes.
Reply 3
Thanks! I probably should've done that. I've researched what I want to do. I intend to take a course in Game Design. I've seen that my Uni of choice does take BTEC 'University of Hertfordshire' and I believe that BTEC is probably the better option for this.
Please excuse my lack of knowledge. Please correct me if I am wrong..
Reply 4
What are your expected GCSE grades, in particular maths?
(Original post by nre5n346n34)Thanks! I probably should've done that. I've researched what I want to do. I intend to take a course in Game Design. I've seen that my Uni of choice does take BTEC 'University of Hertfordshire' and I believe that BTEC is probably the better option for this.

What are your expected GCSE grades and in what subjects. Which BTEC do you intend taking,
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 6
Maths -7
English -8
Chem -6
Phys -7
Bio - 6

GCSE Subjects I am taking
Drama -8
Ancient History -5
French -6
Engineering -6
Reply 7
Original post by ajj2000
What are your expected GCSE grades, in particular maths?

Sent my grades further down
Maths -7
English -8
Chem -6
Phys -7
Bio - 6

GCSE Subjects I am taking
Drama -8
Ancient History -5
French -6
Engineering -6

Looking at these grades I can understand your fathers concerns. You are definitely A level material and are capable of getting into better universities than Hertfordshire. These grades should get you into very good universities for many subjects. The problem is that students at 16 very often change their minds career wise and ou are putting yourself in a very narrow career and will quite possibly change your mind by the time it comes to go to university. You only have to look at the threads on here to see this.

You dont state which BTEC you are looking at but I suspect it is the IT BTEC. It will limit your options should you decide on a different career and most Maths/Engineering/Computing degrees will require A level Maths.

Having read your posts I agree with your father that you need a wider choice rather than a narrow BTEC. If you do decide to down the BTEC route consider taking A level Maths as well to open your option. I personally think Maths and Physics or CS A levels would be a better option than a BTEC in your circumstances. You might well consider Drama as well if you enjoy it
At the prestigious Lancaster University, the Engineering and Computer Science courses have an option to only take BTEC, but the Mathematics course requires the Mathematics and Further Mathematics A-levels in addition.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
Thanks! I probably should've done that. I've researched what I want to do. I intend to take a course in Game Design. I've seen that my Uni of choice does take BTEC 'University of Hertfordshire' and I believe that BTEC is probably the better option for this.

Hey! Just popping in to say if you do go down the BTEC route, we offer a Games Design course and accept BTEC.

Personally, I studied BTEC and it hasn't ever been an issue and I have my masters now too.

If we can help with anything at all, regardless of University choice, you just need too ask! :smile:

- LT
Reply 11
Original post by swanseajack1
Looking at these grades I can understand your fathers concerns. You are definitely A level material and are capable of getting into better universities than Hertfordshire. These grades should get you into very good universities for many subjects. The problem is that students at 16 very often change their minds career wise and ou are putting yourself in a very narrow career and will quite possibly change your mind by the time it comes to go to university. You only have to look at the threads on here to see this.

You dont state which BTEC you are looking at but I suspect it is the IT BTEC. It will limit your options should you decide on a different career and most Maths/Engineering/Computing degrees will require A level Maths.

Having read your posts I agree with your father that you need a wider choice rather than a narrow BTEC. If you do decide to down the BTEC route consider taking A level Maths as well to open your option. I personally think Maths and Physics or CS A levels would be a better option than a BTEC in your circumstances. You might well consider Drama as well if you enjoy it

I suppose you're right looking at my grades but I still feel its not right for me. It might be a waste as you say but Ig i'm those people who hate exams but somehow get okay-ish grades. All A- levels are mainly (from what I hear) are just exams and have minimal to no coursework whereas I'm great at coursework and suck at exams. Idk mainly because I don't like them..
Maybe a BTEC Game Design Course or something..
(edited 9 months ago)
I suppose you're right looking at my grades but I still feel its not right for me. It might be a waste as you say but Ig i'm those people who hate exams but somehow get okay-ish grades. All A- levels are mainly (from what I hear) are just exams and have minimal to no coursework whereas I'm great at coursework and suck at exams. Idk mainly because I don't like them..

I would say do what you enjoy personally.
Reply 13
Original post by Talkative Toad
I would say do what you enjoy personally.

Yeah but my parents tho...

Yeah that's a problem

Would they listen to your teachers?
Maybe a BTEC Game Design Course or something..

As far as I can see there is no such course and the places who offer BTECs offer very few of them. Typically they are in business, applied science, ict, public services, travel and tourism etc. Have a look at your local college or school to see which courses they are offering.

You have a fixation of games design but as I said previously students change their minds often. You only need to look on here to see students who are looking to change their courses in clearing as they have changed their minds.

The problem with BTECs is they tend to limit your options in the way a mix of A levels dont. Often universities require specific subject BTECs for subjects. As far as game design you would probably need to take the btec in computing or ict if your school or college offers them.

I note your concern over exams but you are likely to have exams when you take a course at university.

You come over as very immature and I can understand your father's concern that you could be selling yourself short. If you do decide to take a BTEC in Computing then think on taking an A level in Maths alongside it to keep your options open as many computer science courses require it.
Reply 17
Original post by swanseajack1
As far as I can see there is no such course and the places who offer BTECs offer very few of them. Typically they are in business, applied science, ict, public services, travel and tourism etc. Have a look at your local college or school to see which courses they are offering.

You have a fixation of games design but as I said previously students change their minds often. You only need to look on here to see students who are looking to change their courses in clearing as they have changed their minds.

The problem with BTECs is they tend to limit your options in the way a mix of A levels dont. Often universities require specific subject BTECs for subjects. As far as game design you would probably need to take the btec in computing or ict if your school or college offers them.

I note your concern over exams but you are likely to have exams when you take a course at university.

You come over as very immature and I can understand your father's concern that you could be selling yourself short. If you do decide to take a BTEC in Computing then think on taking an A level in Maths alongside it to keep your options open as many computer science courses require it.

Yeah you're right. I'll do A -levels.Thanks. :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Muttley79
Would they listen to your teachers?

Probably not.
Reply 19
You sound healthily reflective and self-aware to me, especially if you're under pressure to take a particular route. There are BTec routes in Games Design. My son - who like yourself has great GCSEs - has just dropped out of A levels as they weren't for him, and will be doing a BTec in Photography. My sister took a similar path and ended up with a BA (2:1) and a BSc (1st). She wasn't tied to a particular career by her BTec. I also did not show my potential in exams, ended up retaking an A level to improve my grade, and went to a degree that was mainly coursework (I did my research). There's a lot of mythology about academic achievement. I speak as someone who works in Higher Education and now has several degrees but I did them because I was passionate about my subject and loved doing them. Generally people achieve 'siuccess' in what they are good at and enjoy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending