The Student Room Group
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

Adult Nursing- University of Derby Selection Day

Hey! So, I have been invited for a selection day on the 23rd of February for Adult Nursing at the Kedleston campus and I am so nervous :eek:. I was hoping I would find more people that would be there on this date? I'm from Northern Ireland so I'm really worried about going to a different country and everything haha. Also anyone who has been for an interview, can you give advice on the group activity or one to one interview? It would be so helpful x

Thanks!
Hi - I had my interview for Derby through clearing which consisted of a basic maths (in a nursing context) and English test - very easy and you can use a calculator for the maths so take one with you.

We didn't have to do a group interview because the day I went there was only 11 of us (we rang on the morning of clearing and asked for interview the same afternoon or the next day - there was 60 applicants the next day so guess I was lucky).

However people from my college course who went to the "proper selection days" said the group activity consisted of you having a map of an area and you had to place a prison, hospital, school etc on the map and explain why! It sounds worse than it is but honestly you'll be fine on that! They seem very laid back at the uni.

In the interview I was asked to give them an example of when I showed compassion, and give an example of when I had to be strong (emotionally) and then explain why I want to attend Derby Uni (I live in Derby so geographical location for me) and what qualities I would have to be a good nurse.

That was all really - lasted about hour and half in total and was very enjoyable (as interviews go). The uni is very nice too and everyone was so helpful I felt very relaxed there.

I start my nursing degree in March and I cannot wait!! Good Luck - you'll have to let us know how you get on! :smile:
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website
Reply 2
Thank you so much for this! You've calmed me down a lot about everything haha, my email said that I hadn't to bring a calculator but I'll bring one just incase, was the one to one interview quite short? And did you get a presentation about nursing too? I will let you know, thanks so much again :smile:
Its no problem at all :smile:

we could use our mobile phone calculators if we hadn't taken one. But to be honest you won't need a calculator the sums were easy and I'm by no means a maths geek! :smile:

We had a brief powerpoint presentation about the uni, what the course covers, how the years are broken down and how many credits the modules were we were shown a map of where our placements could be (this was probably the longest part of the whole process).

My one to one interview consisted of about 3/4 questions as above I was in the lecture hall doing the tests longer than the interview - It only took about 15 mins for the interview, but I was one of the first to go in so no hanging around for me - straight in straight out.

I've got everything crossed for you - wishing you all the best. :smile:
Hi! I had my interview selection day for adult nursing in December and we wasn't allowed a calculator or phones x
Reply 5
Original post by Jordenamber
Hi! I had my interview selection day for adult nursing in December and we wasn't allowed a calculator or phones x

Hey! Was it really complicated or okay? How was the group activity? x
Original post by It'sBecky
Hey! Was it really complicated or okay? How was the group activity? x
I thought the maths was ok but only because I revised, I'm awful at maths so I probably would have failed if I didn't revise lol! Only 2 people out of about 60-70 failed the tests so I don't think you've got anything to worry about. The English is straight forward and so are the value tests. The group activity was fine, I was worried about it but it was nothing to worry about it was just like a debate/chat between you and about 5 other candidates being watched by a lecturer and current student and had another part of it where we watched a short clip. Don't worry about it you'll be fine! X
Reply 7
Original post by Jordenamber
I thought the maths was ok but only because I revised, I'm awful at maths so I probably would have failed if I didn't revise lol! Only 2 people out of about 60-70 failed the tests so I don't think you've got anything to worry about. The English is straight forward and so are the value tests. The group activity was fine, I was worried about it but it was nothing to worry about it was just like a debate/chat between you and about 5 other candidates being watched by a lecturer and current student and had another part of it where we watched a short clip. Don't worry about it you'll be fine! X

ahahah I am terrible at maths so I will make sure I revise, what kind of things did you revise like measurements and conversions? and awh okay doesn't sound too bad haha thanks so much! :smile:
Hey! So, I have been invited for a selection day on the 23rd of February for Adult Nursing at the Kedleston campus and I am so nervous :eek:. I was hoping I would find more people that would be there on this date? I'm from Northern Ireland so I'm really worried about going to a different country and everything haha. Also anyone who has been for an interview, can you give advice on the group activity or one to one interview? It would be so helpful x

Thanks!

My interview is on the 23rd too! how are you getting to the campus?x
Reply 9
I've got mine on the 23rd as well! same place! i'm so scared! Just started revising.... eughh.....
Reply 10
Original post by RubyBrightmore
My interview is on the 23rd too! how are you getting to the campus?x

Yay!! I found someone else going on the same date! I'm so scared! I'm just walking over because we are staying close to the campus, you? x
Reply 11
Original post by AsianPhil
I've got mine on the 23rd as well! same place! i'm so scared! Just started revising.... eughh.....

omg I'm so glad that I have found people that are there on this date, same here every time I think about it I get butterflies, but in a way I'm looking forward to it haha, from other people it sounds like a relaxed day as far as interviews go, good luck anyway! :smile:
I have an interview at Derby on the 23rd too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
omg I'm so glad that I have found people that are there on this date, same here every time I think about it I get butterflies, but in a way I'm looking forward to it haha, from other people it sounds like a relaxed day as far as interviews go, good luck anyway! :smile:

That's what I've heard as well but i'm still quite anxious and scared! Good luck to you too!! :smile:
Reply 14
Anyone noticed that Derby have increased UCAS points required to 280, do you think that would be for 2016 entry? Anyone who has received an offer for this year, was it still 240?
Reply 15
hey guys!
I'm new to this but its just I have got an interview in the morning at 9 at the chesterfield campus and I have been doing some research for it but I am still really really nervous so I was just wanting to ask if anyone had any advice? :smile: thank you
Reply 16
Hi guys good luck to you all! Let me know how you get on.
I have been accepted to start the Adult Nursing course September this year!
Reply 17
Original post by rxoxsxe
hey guys!
I'm new to this but its just I have got an interview in the morning at 9 at the chesterfield campus and I have been doing some research for it but I am still really really nervous so I was just wanting to ask if anyone had any advice? :smile: thank you

How did it go?? I'm going on Thursday 9am and absolutely terrified! Is there another maths/ English test? How long is it for? Thanks!!
Reply 18
I am going on Thursday to Chesterfield campus! How was interview I am so nervous! Do you have to do another test? Maths and English?
Hi have an interview on the 17th feb, any idea of how it is going to be??thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending