The Student Room Group

Government and politics a level?

How hard is this a level in comparison to your others
is it interesting
is it easy

should i pick it as im interested in it but idk much about it
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get more responses. :redface: Hopefully someone will be able to get back to you :h:
Reply 2
Original post by youreanutter
How hard is this a level in comparison to your others
is it interesting
is it easy

should i pick it as im interested in it but idk much about it

Politics is my favourite A Level. Although it is like a completely different language at times, if you're interested in Politics then definitely go for it.

It's not easy, theres a lot of new content to learn and it is essay based to bare that in mind
Original post by Cal-lum
Politics is my favourite A Level. Although it is like a completely different language at times, if you're interested in Politics then definitely go for it.

It's not easy, theres a lot of new content to learn and it is essay based to bare that in mind

do i need to be good at english to do well and is it hard compared to ur other subjects
Reply 4
do i need to be good at english to do well and is it hard compared to ur other subjects

I did it for AS and enjoyed it, the questions tend to follow a fairly logical structure, and didn't come any longer than 2 marks
The papers are divided into 4 distinct sections so you can leave out two areas and focus hard on two you enjoy if you wish
English would help a lot, they are all essay based questions
Many people see Politics as a "soft" subject but this is NOT true...my other subjects are History and Chemistry...obviously it is not as difficult as Chemistry but I'd say its just as difficult as History (and English etc)

I do Edexcel Politics and the first year can be quite slow but (my current) second year is really interesting, studying one unit on current political policy (such as health, education) and another on the EU...

if you have the interest, go for it and good luck! :cool:
Reply 6

A basic level of English is needed, you need to be able to articulate yourself well to get good marks as the 40 mark essays are partially judged on your use of English.
It's about remembering vocabulary and definitely about the structure of your essays - you need to have an interest in Politics as well. I'm only doing AS at the moment but I definitely endorse it for people who are interested in it - you become very well informed about how the country is ran and it's a step in the right direction for being a well informed individual as long as you can critically think about what you're told - though if you have a good teacher they will keep it entirely impartial. Nah - Politics is really fun but you have to know the subject to be able to speak about it right. And the mantra of any Politics student is definitely examples, examples, examples. You cannot get the mark if you don't use examples and the right vocab; it's the Biology of the Humanities world. q:
Original post by Cal-lum
A basic level of English is needed, you need to be able to articulate yourself well to get good marks as the 40 mark essays are partially judged on your use of English.

Hahaaa see Citizenship A level I did literally wuth my eyes shut and got 382/400.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by fudgecake22
Hahaaa see Citizenship A level I did literally wuth my eyes shut and got 382/400.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dont understand what this has to do with Gov't/Pol A level...but thanks for your input I guess??...
Original post by Cal-lum
I dont understand what this has to do with Gov't/Pol A level...but thanks for your input I guess??...

I also did politics and fell in love completely with the subject. My point citizenship is basically As politics as an wholr A level

Posted from TSR Mobile
I also did politics and fell in love completely with the subject. My point citizenship is basically As politics as an wholr A level

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh right, cool! Citizenship isn't offered at my sixth form.

Posted from TSR Mobile

how much work do you have to put in for citizenship, I'm thinking of doing it whilst at uni, just so i can increase my overall ucas points for grad schemes, but don't want to do something which going to take a lot of time away from my actual degree lol
Original post by soliloquyy
It's about remembering vocabulary and definitely about the structure of your essays - you need to have an interest in Politics as well. I'm only doing AS at the moment but I definitely endorse it for people who are interested in it - you become very well informed about how the country is ran and it's a step in the right direction for being a well informed individual as long as you can critically think about what you're told - though if you have a good teacher they will keep it entirely impartial. Nah - Politics is really fun but you have to know the subject to be able to speak about it right. And the mantra of any Politics student is definitely examples, examples, examples. You cannot get the mark if you don't use examples and the right vocab; it's the Biology of the Humanities world. q:

Posted from TSR Mobile

could you share any resources that shows how to answer different marker questions? some people here have gone and on and on about PEEL but they have failed to explain or illustrate it with proper examples. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest