The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

K I've done some research in this topic so I have an answer or two.

a) You need to complete an undergraduate degree that is recognized by the North American university you want to study law at. There's a discrepancy between NA and the UK. An undergraduate degree here in North America is a stepping stone onto graduate school, which is what law school is considered over here. Law school here is an endpoint for a lot of people, not a stepping stone and definitely not something most people consider to do RIGHT out of high school. The age of a law school student will range from 21 (which is typically how old one would be following the completion of an undergraduate degree) to mid 50's - as long as you have an undergraduate degree, you're eligible to become a lawyer here in NA.

b) You need to write the LSAT. It's the "Law School Admissions Test" and most schools require it. It is made of 5 sections that test your ability to organize your logic and apply it to situations - you can't study for it, just like the LNAT, but you can sure as hell prepare for it. It's been around for decades, so there's a lot of prep courses on it.

c) Someone mentioned prior that you can just sit the bar and write it to become eligible to practice law, if you're applying with an English law degree. This is not quite the case, as certain admissions commitees will need to evaluate your undergrad degree and gauge your standing and knowledge in North American law. You MAY have to re-do all 3 years of the JD program here, or you may be able to take one or two courses, or you may be able to write the bar right away - it all depends on the committee and the school.
Good stuff, I am assuming that with a UK undergrad degree you would stand an equal shot at US law school to an American? Submect to reputation blah, esteemed degree etc.
Yeah although if you have an LLB I don't think you are allowed to do a JD, just an LLM or a JSD.
OK, I didn't actually mean with an LLB anyway. What does JD actually stand for actually, I genuinely have no idea... American Law and English Law are pretty similar in quite a number of respects (obviously there will be marked differences) and so re-studying for a JD would be pointless, and you kind of want to step up a level.

As for practicing solely with an LLM, I know some states let you qualify with an english LLB... will all states let you qualify with an LLM? I ask because in the UK you need the "7 foundations", and if you came from abroad and did an LLM you wouldn't have them and would still probably need to sit elements of the Common Professional Examination.
Reply 24
Okay, this is all really good stuff, but I don't particularly want to redo all three years and I don't particularly want to do a law degree in England at all really. What I'm asking is...!!..Can I do a degree in America.. So not Law School because I now realise that Law school is a complete different thing to University. For example leave Sixth Form at 18.. Go to university in America and get a law degree or something equal to that?? Surely they do an undergraduate course in America otherwise no one would be able to get in to law school??

So i need to..

a)

1. Finish A Levels
2. Undergraduate Course in America
3. LawSchool?

Do I have to go to Law School or can I just do an undergraduate course in America?

b)

1. Finish A Levels
2. Undergraduate course in ENGLAND
3. Redo course in America
4. LSATS
5. Law School

a) or b) or alternative?...

p.s. I went to Crown Court today with school and saw 3 trials it was so cool!!:rolleyes: felt like clapping after the barristers had given their speeches!
sarah-h1990
Okay, this is all really good stuff, but I don't particularly want to redo all three years and I don't particularly want to do a law degree in England at all really. What I'm asking is...!!..Can I do a degree in America.. So not Law School because I now realise that Law school is a complete different thing to University. For example leave Sixth Form at 18.. Go to university in America and get a law degree or something equal to that?? Surely they do an undergraduate course in America otherwise no one would be able to get in to law school??

So i need to..

a)

1. Finish A Levels
2. Undergraduate Course in America
3. LawSchool?

Do I have to go to Law School or can I just do an undergraduate course in America?

b)

1. Finish A Levels
2. Undergraduate course in ENGLAND
3. Redo course in America
4. LSATS
5. Law School

a) or b) or alternative?...

p.s. I went to Crown Court today with school and saw 3 trials it was so cool!!:rolleyes: felt like clapping after the barristers had given their speeches!

I don't really understand what you wrote here.

If you do an undergraduate law degree in England, you can apply to whatever school you want in America after and they'll tell you what you'll need to do to get an American equivalent. You MAY need to write the LSAT, you may not. You may have to repeat all three years, you may not - it depends on whatever law school you're at right now, and how you've performed.

If you want to write your A-levels and come to America right away to study, you'll be in the same pool as myself and every other kid that has graduated high school - you would need to do an undergraduate degree and THEN write your LSAT and go to law school.

Lewisy, JD stands for Juris Doctor. It's the equivalent of the LLB. Just a fancier, more pretentious name.
You can technically sit the Bar Exam with an LLB in a few states, but do not expect to get a job at a top law firm, even if you pass. The top law firms are so competitive that even a Harvard, Yale, or Stanford JD graduate is not guaranteed a place. So a British LLB, even from Oxbridge, will not stand a good chance. The applicant will not have studied American law in a degree and probably being significantly younger.

If you want to work in a New York commercial law firm, get an LLM in the US because otherwise you won't be a competitive applicant. This is straight from the mouth of a good friend who works at one of the top 5 law firms in New York.
BTW a JD is not just an LLB with a fancier name. Although they are both 3 year law degrees, a JD is for people who already have a bachelor's degree. They do not need to be eased into university study in the same way that an A-Level student does in their first degree. I imagine that the level of intensity in the first year is higher. Although the content may be similar, more is expected of the students as they already have a degree and are used to university-level work.
Yeah I can imagine that about the standard, as for what you said about the top schools students... I would hope they are not"guaranteed" a place and that it is similar to the UK in that you would need to show something other than geeking it up to get a job.

Thanks.
shady lane
BTW a JD is not just an LLB with a fancier name. Although they are both 3 year law degrees, a JD is for people who already have a bachelor's degree. They do not need to be eased into university study in the same way that an A-Level student does in their first degree. I imagine that the level of intensity in the first year is higher. Although the content may be similar, more is expected of the students as they already have a degree and are used to university-level work.

I just heard that JD = LLB from a student who is doing his LLB at UBC, Vancouver. There was a referendum a few months ago that was in regards to whether UBC should change their LLB to a JD. This will not change the policy that you can enter after minimum 3 years completion (out of 4, so 90 credits min) of your Bachelor's. UofT grants a JD, and one can enter with 3 years (90 creds) given they're exceptional.
There isa disucssion about whether canada are going to rename their law degrees to match JDs, I was talkking to a Canadian law student. Apparently US firms just don't respect LLBs, seemingly with no basis whatsoever!
Reply 31
Interestingly enough many US Law Schools used to award LL.B.'s (as a graduate entry programme) rather than J.D.'s. This is why you will note that on many Law School websites the more established Faculty members may have an LL.B rather than a J.D. The change in nomenclature was not concurrent with a change in course design. It may be the same process whereby LPC's and BVCs in England have now mutated into Post Graduate Diplomas.
Reply 32
PDJM
Interestingly enough many US Law Schools used to award LL.B.'s (as a graduate entry programme) rather than J.D.'s. This is why you will note that on many Law School websites the more established Faculty members may have an LL.B rather than a J.D. The change in nomenclature was not concurrent with a change in course design. It may be the same process whereby LPC's and BVCs in England have now mutated into Post Graduate Diplomas.

LLB used to be a graduate degree at Cambridge too until it was re-named LLM. The graduate degree in law at Oxford is the BCL which is technical an bachelors degree.
Reply 33
moosaman
I don't really understand what you wrote here.

If you do an undergraduate law degree in England, you can apply to whatever school you want in America after and they'll tell you what you'll need to do to get an American equivalent. You MAY need to write the LSAT, you may not. You may have to repeat all three years, you may not - it depends on whatever law school you're at right now, and how you've performed.

If you want to write your A-levels and come to America right away to study, you'll be in the same pool as myself and every other kid that has graduated high school - you would need to do an undergraduate degree and THEN write your LSAT and go to law school.

So I can finish my A-levels, then go to America and do an Undergraduate degree?.. I'm guessing I have to go to Law School then to become a lawyer? That's really what I was getting at in the first place!! Got there in the end :p:
I like the way the american degree has the word "doctor" in it, despite the fact it;s not a doctoral degree...

As for the BCL, it's a bachelors degree by name alone. You can call ur postgrad course anything.
Reply 35
Ooh another question.. Like to keep you all on your toes :smile: What grades do I need to get in to an American Uni? Is it the same as an England Uni where you need 3 A's or whatever?
I know that 5 A's from England wasn't enough to get someone into a top German law school (native speaker of German btw)... maybe it's the same in the States, but I would have thought AAA would be fine... try emailing specific unis you would like to attend as an undergrad, bear in mind the sheer cost. You would probably be better off with an English bachelors and then doing an American JD, rather than spending ur entire uni education in the US system.
Reply 37
Okay, I really feel if I take an undergraduate course in England it would be hard to find work in America.

I've been looking at some American Unis in New York but I can't really seem to find one that does Law?

They're all specific Law schools that you already need an Undergraduate degree to get in to.

Little more help maybe?:rolleyes:
You need an undergrad degree to get into any law school in the USA, it's an anomaly there. Hence why I suggested that you do the undergrad here, then law school in the USA.
It's not an anomaly. It's the same in Canada...combined populations of 330 million!

Latest

Trending

Trending