The Student Room Group

Integration with partial fractions...

I cant find a way to split this fraction into partial fractions in order for me to find the integral of it. The answer in the book says....

X2 - X + ln l X + 1 l + c

by the way I used the letter 'l' next to the expressions that the ln is being found of to indicate that its a modulus (I hope that make sense :tongue:)

if someone has any idea on how I can split this fraction? thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Maybe try dividing it using the grid method or long division, looks like if you do that you'll get your A and the remainder/(x+1), which you can then integrate.

I think that should open the question up for you! :smile:
Reply 2
Partial fractions aren't what you need here. Try polynomial division first.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You could use the substitution u = x + 1 and it will come out nicely. For future reference, there is a key on the bottom left of the keyboard | that does a good modulus.
Reply 4
Original post by morgan8002
You could use the substitution u = x + 1 and it will come out nicely. For future reference, there is a key on the bottom left of the keyboard | that does a good modulus.

Part of the question says to write it in the form A + B/(x+1) first :smile:
Original post by pryngles
Part of the question says to write it in the form A + B/(x+1) first :smile:

Substitution is the easiest way, but seeing as they asked, use their method.

If you haven't found it in this form, equate the two, multiply by the denominator and equate coefficients. Then integrate the new form normally.
Reply 6
Maybe try dividing it using the grid method or long division, looks like if you do that you'll get your A and the remainder/(x+1), which you can then integrate.

I think that should open the question up for you! :smile:

whats the grid method? ive never heard of it before.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MSB47
whats the grid method? ive never heard of it before.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you're doing C4, you should have been taught algebraic polynomial division, which is the easiest method I've come across of dividing polynomials.

In this question there is an easier way, let x(2x+1)x+1A+Bx+1\frac{x(2x+1)}{x+1} \equiv A + \frac{B}{x+1}, then multiply by x+1x+1 and equate coefficients.
Reply 8

I used that method and I would prefer using this method however, in my final answer I keep getting -2 in the expression unless that is the constan term c?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Krollo
Partial fractions aren't what you need here. Try polynomial division first.

Posted from TSR Mobile

havent done polynomial division I think :/
how would you do that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MSB47
I used that method and I would prefer using this method however, in my final answer I keep getting -2 in the expression unless that is the constan term c?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is correct. The -2 is absorbed into the constant of integration because it's an arbitrary constant. Thus the -2 disappears.
Reply 11
Original post by MSB47
how would you do that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should have covered polynomial division - it's just "long division for polynomials"!

Alternatively, note that you can rewrite the x on the numerator as x + 1 - 1 which gives you 2 fractions to work with. The (x + 1) bit can cancel with the x + 1 on the denominator so you can integrate the first 'fraction' straight away, and then you have another fraction left where you can do a similar trick to split it up and integrate it!
Original post by MSB47
how would you do that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You cover long division of polynomials in C1 I think. Then there is an algebraic method in C4. I've never heard of the grid method.

At this stage, the easiest method is the algebraic one, where you would have one polynomial P(x) and another of lower order Q(x) and you would find the other f(x) by setting P(x) = Q(x)f(x).

So for example if you had a polynomial x34x22x+3x^3-4x^2-2x+3 and wanted to divide by x+1, you would set x34x22x+3(x+1)(ax2+bx+c)x^3-4x^2-2x+3 \equiv (x+1)(ax^2+bx+c) and expand and equate coefficients to find the values of a, b, and c.
Reply 13
If you're doing C4, you should have been taught algebraic polynomial division, which is the easiest method I've come across of dividing polynomials.

In this question there is an easier way, let x(2x+1)x+1A+Bx+1\frac{x(2x+1)}{x+1} \equiv A + \frac{B}{x+1}, then multiply by x+1x+1 and equate coefficients.

Oh ive come across that before but why isn't the A a fraction?
Original post by MSB47

Because the top fraction is second degree and the bottom is first degree, you know that the top equation MUST divide into the bottom equation by a whole number, A, plus the remainder, B/(x+1).

Original post by MSB47

There is a slight mistake here, that should read:
Ax+B+Cx+1Ax+B+\dfrac{C}{x+1}
The AA is not a fraction because the order of the polynomial in the numerator exceeds that of the denominator.

There is a trick of inspection to these that I can show you if you're interested.

EDIT: I'll stick it in a spoiler below, cos I'm off to bed.

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
You cover long division of polynomials in C1 I think. Then there is an algebraic method in C4. I've never heard of the grid method.

At this stage, the easiest method is the algebraic one, where you would have one polynomial P(x) and another of lower order Q(x) and you would find the other f(x) by setting P(x) = Q(x)f(x).

So for example if you had a polynomial x34x22x+3x^3-4x^2-2x+3 and wanted to divide by x+1, you would set x34x22x+3(x+1)(ax2+bx+c)x^3-4x^2-2x+3 \equiv (x+1)(ax^2+bx+c) and expand and equate coefficients to find the values of a, b, and c.

The grid method is basically backwards grid multiplication.

Say x^2+x+4 / x+3

you would set x and 3 as the left column, then write powers of x to recreate the original equation.
i.e.

.....x
x x^2
3 3x

We put x at the top to begin with because there's an x^2 in the equation and we know obviously x times x is x^2. If 3x^2 was in the equation, we would've written 3x, not x, at the top.

Now, we have 3x from the grid, but in the original equation there is just x. So we put in -2 to reduce 3x to x, because -2 times x is -2x, and -2x + 3x is x.
hence:
....x....-2
x x^2 -2x
3 3x -6

Now, we can't manipulate the grid furtherly because to change the -6 we would need to go into the negative powers of x, which aren't present in the equation.

for the answer, we simply read the top line, so x-2, and for the remainder, its whatever we need to add to the grid, which is x^2+x-6, to get the original equation, x^2+x+4. Clearly, 4--6 = 10.

Hence, x^2+x+4 / x+3 = x-2 + 10/(x+3).

It's such a quick method to use when you're used to it! Hope I've explained it well!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by joostan
There is a slight mistake here, that should read:
Ax+B+Cx+1Ax+B+\dfrac{C}{x+1}
The AA is not a fraction because the order of the polynomial in the numerator exceeds that of the denominator.

There is a trick of inspection to these that I can show you if you're interested.

EDIT: I'll stick it in a spoiler below, cos I'm off to bed.

Spoiler

when you got to the point of X+1-1/X+1, why is there plus between X+1/X+1 + 1/X+1. Wouldn't it be a minus?
Reply 18
The grid method is basically backwards grid multiplication.

Say x^2+x+4 / x+3

you would set x and 3 as the left column, then write powers of x to recreate the original equation.
i.e.

.....x
x x^2
3 3x

We put x at the top to begin with because there's an x^2 in the equation and we know obviously x times x is x^2. If 3x^2 was in the equation, we would've written 3x, not x, at the top.

Now, we have 3x from the grid, but in the original equation there is just x. So we put in -2 to reduce 3x to x, because -2 times x is -2x, and -2x + 3x is x.
hence:
....x....-2
x x^2 -2x
3 3x -6

Now, we can't manipulate the grid furtherly because to change the -6 we would need to go into the negative powers of x, which aren't present in the equation.

for the answer, we simply read the top line, so x-2, and for the remainder, its whatever we need to add to the grid, which is x^2+x-6, to get the original equation, x^2+x+4. Clearly, 4--6 = 10.

Hence, x^2+x+4 / x+3 = x-2 + 10/(x+3).

It's such a quick method to use when you're used to it! Hope I've explained it well!

seems like a cool way might try that out, thanks for your help :smile:
Original post by MSB47
when you got to the point of X+1-1/X+1, why is there plus between X+1/X+1 + 1/X+1. Wouldn't it be a minus?

There's a double negative. . .

Quick Reply

Latest