The Student Room Group

Would you ditch UK unis for a £4k uni education in the Netherlands?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Juichiro
Nope. The loan is for those who study here. The point is investing in the British uni system. So it would be pointless to pay for those who leave.

Post 6 says they can get a loan
Original post by She-Ra
10k sounds like a lot, but then I have no idea how much accommodation is abroad in comparison to how much it goes at the average UK uni.

This point is made in the Telegraph:

EDIT: UK students can apply for a tuition loan from the Dutch government.

You still need to pay for living expenses + accommodation. It won't be cheap.
Original post by TenOfThem
Post 6 says they can get a loan

That's a tuition fee loan. You don't get a loan to cover your living expenses and accommodation none of which is cheap.
Original post by She-Ra
What subject are you considering? If this had been an option for me I think I would have considered it too.

I actually wanted to do English but I looked at Amsterdam Uni and I've picked European studies :smile:
Reply 24
I really did not enjoy uni in UK and actively encourage people to avoid it. I was absolutely disgusted with the fees, cuts and the rotten debt system so I did ditch it to study abroad. Best decision of my life. I would advise as many British students to do the same thing and gladly help any that need help in doing so. I also do not miss rip-off rent prices, accomodation frenzies as early as January and feeling like I got less than half a years worth of education. Another thing that ticked me off was people who just bend over and take this crap and make excuses for the government and stand up for the fees.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Trip506
I really did not enjoy uni in UK and actively encourage people to avoid it. I was absolutely disgusted with the fees, cuts and the rotten debt system so I did ditch it to study abroad. Best decision of my life. I would advise as many British students to do the same thing and gladly help any that need help in doing so. Another thing that ticked me off was people who just bend over and take this crap and make excuses for the government and stand up for the fees.

Could I borrow some money for living costs? Say £3k/year?
Reply 26
Original post by Quady
Could I borrow some money for living costs? Say £3k/year?

If I was a millionare then yeah, gladly.
Really glad to see this. I've applied to The University of Amsterdam to study BSc PPLE (Politics, Psychology, Law & Economics). I dropped out of uni twice here (I was young lol) so my tuition fees are messed up with student finance, Amsterdam seemed like a good choice for the low fees and my course being taught in English. So far the application process has been pleasant if not somewhat challenging. I was worried about learning Dutch, which I'm taking classes for, and the possibility of experiencing racism over there, but I'm still going to go for it. The only difficulty is bringing my girlfriend over who's finishing uni this year but doesn't want to pursue a masters over there, and she doesn't speak Dutch so obtaining a grad/decent job may prove hard. We shall see though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's a tuition fee loan. You don't get a loan to cover your living expenses and accommodation none of which is cheap.

That was my point
For a second I was considering it.

But then I thought about it again. Along with change comes having to conform to those changes:

1. Learning the language. It is easy to get by in the UK because it's so multicultural and there'll always be someone to understand you. Without speaking Dutch/Finnish/Swedish it'll be very difficult living there - not a good option if you're not a fast learner (such as myself)

2. The racism. I've been to Amsterdam in the past and I've split thoughts on it, there were some children that would actually stare at me and then they'd speak in their language and smirk :s-smilie: but then there were some reeeally lovely people who made my stay bearable and were so fascinated by me, thank god.

3. The loans. I'm sort of confused. Do we or do we not get a student loan? Paying £1,500 or whatever the tuition fees are is still quite pricey if you consider things like living expenses and money to get your resources and such.

4. The unfamiliarity of a country. I like travelling (sorta!), but being thrown into a country on my own and having to find my way around with a few other Britons sounds nerve-wrecking and doesn't tickle my fancy at all.

But I don't know, maybe I'll warm up to the idea sometime.
Original post by TenOfThem
That was my point

But you still need money to live. We are talking about £5K per year if not more. And it has to come from your own pocket. While in the British system you can study without forking a single penny. The key question is how much you can fork?
But you still need money to live. We are talking about £5K per year if not more. And it has to come from your own pocket. While in the British system you can study without forking a single penny. The key question is how much you can fork?

You seem to have confused me with someone else

A quick look at post 5 might help you to understand my views on this
Reply 32
Original post by She-Ra
10k sounds like a lot, but then I have no idea how much accommodation is abroad in comparison to how much it goes at the average UK uni.

Nothing is more expensive than the UK - except Switzerland.

I've looked at Dutch unis for my PhD, but funding there is very strange.
Reply 33
Wait we can apply to EU unis via UCAS??? How? Also I was considering it but it seems like too big a move to make until after my BA, and if the UK leaves the EU...
No thanks. This country has too many top institutions to give it all up.
For its size its doing extremely well holding up its own against the likes of Harvard and MIT.
Original post by Aph
Wait we can apply to EU unis via UCAS??? How? Also I was considering it but it seems like too big a move to make until after my BA, and if the UK leaves the EU...

In exactly the same way we apply to UK uni's - the European unis that have been approved by UCAS and paid their fee to join will have their own code and course codes in the same way UK unis do.
Reply 36
Original post by She-Ra
In exactly the same way we apply to UK uni's - the European unis that have been approved by UCAS and paid their fee to join will have their own code and course codes in the same way UK unis do.

:eek:can you search them too? And do they count towards your 5 applications?
Original post by Aph
:eek:can you search them too? And do they count towards your 5 applications?

Yes, from September according to the news reports.
Reply 38
Original post by She-Ra
Yes, from September according to the news reports.

That doesn't give me enough time to scout them all out:frown:
I would do this. I wonder if you'd learn more if, instead of spending 9 grand a year on tuition plus however much more on accommodation, you instead spent it on a personal tutor. I reckon you'd be taught significantly better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending