The Student Room Group

Don’t want to go to uni but still want the social aspect

Decided to take a gap year this year as I don’t have a strong desire to go to uni. I still want to get a degree but wish to achieve it remotely - probably though open university. However, I still want to experience the social aspect of uni. I’m hoping to do a business degree as they r quite versatile. I’m currently working as a PA/admin assistant which I could pursue further if I want but I’m not sure.My ideal situation would be going abroad for a bit - preferably the Netherlands to do a more creative shorter course. I was thinking graphic design to tie into the marketing aspect of business. However, the UK leaving the EU makes this a lot harder so I’m worried about the price and if it is worth it as I’m Scottish so get free tuitions fees.Or I wouldn’t mind going to do volunteer work/work abroad in somewhere like Australia whilst doing my degree remotely. Idk I just want to achieve my degree without going to uni but still have the same social opportunities. Has anyone got any advice?
Glib, but I'd just go to uni, is there some burning reason why you wont? You pretty much simply won't get the same social or networking opportunities remotely.
Original post by Jdjdndmeockfm
Decided to take a gap year this year as I don’t have a strong desire to go to uni. I still want to get a degree but wish to achieve it remotely - probably though open university. However, I still want to experience the social aspect of uni. I’m hoping to do a business degree as they r quite versatile. I’m currently working as a PA/admin assistant which I could pursue further if I want but I’m not sure.My ideal situation would be going abroad for a bit - preferably the Netherlands to do a more creative shorter course. I was thinking graphic design to tie into the marketing aspect of business. However, the UK leaving the EU makes this a lot harder so I’m worried about the price and if it is worth it as I’m Scottish so get free tuitions fees.Or I wouldn’t mind going to do volunteer work/work abroad in somewhere like Australia whilst doing my degree remotely. Idk I just want to achieve my degree without going to uni but still have the same social opportunities. Has anyone got any advice?

Hello!
This is a brilliant question which I know a lot of people struggle with. The decision to go to university is a big one, if you want a degree and enjoy the social aspect then I would recommend going to university as it also gives you that experience of living independently whilst still having support around you. I have also found that because the summers are so long at university (at Lancaster it is 3 months, as well as a month off at Christmas and Easter) there is plenty of time to go travelling. For example, in my first year I made friends at university and over the summer we went inter railing around Europe and had the best time. I know a lot of people also choose to go travelling after they graduate from University which is another option too.

Taking a gap year is also a good decision as it gives you the time to think and doing your job will give you experience that people at university may not have and also means you are going to university with some money already which will help you if you want to travel in the holidays!

Hope this helps and feel free to ask if you have anymore questions,
Lucy (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Original post by Jdjdndmeockfm

Hi there,

Deciding whether to go to uni or not is a big decision so it's good that you are taking the time to think about it. Having a gap year can really clarify things for a lot of people so it may make you realise that you don't want to go to uni or maybe that you do. When I took a gap year, having the break from education made me realise that I actually did want to go to uni and it made me want to study as I think after A levels I was so burnt out that I didn't want to. So having a gap year may help you to make the decision.

If you are able to get free tuition in Scotland, it sounds like this may be a good idea. This way, you still get the degree and social life but you aren't paying for it so if it's not what you imagined it would be you aren't left with lots of debt to sort out.
I would say that the university experience is very unique and hard to replicate if you do not go to uni so if you want the social aspect, it may be best to look into universities in Scotland.

You could also try and look into degree apprenticeship schemes. This way you are getting a degree but also getting paid to do it and if you go into uni once a week you are still getting a little bit of the social aspect too.

Or, you could do your degree remotely and try and visit friends who are at uni to try and get a bit of that social aspect and maybe make friends with their friends too.

I hope some of this helps,
Lucy -SHU student ambassador .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending