The Student Room Group

TSR Member you'd most like a coffee with and why

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Retired_Messiah
The smell puts me off more than anything tbh

Fair nuff
:lol:
Original post by Princess31
Lmfao :rofl: i read that in such a ghetto accent :rofl: sorry..
But black forrest is where it was at! :cool: ugh so sexy! Reminded me of thjs really hot guy in my course :ninja::rofl:

it's only because I'm tired and I actually can't be arsed to type in a way which some people, predominantly middle class and predominantly of the top universities, or in the process of travelling to such a place, and generally receiving or have receieved a cushy lifestyle, consider intelligent.
Original post by TorpidPhil
Seems terribly time-inefficient if you ask me.

Would only go there with someone else and really not more than one person either. Too much company is very overbearing.

you are all you need. if you haven't got you then coffee shop-ing is a difficult task.
Ooh I don't know. I most enjoy talking to a group of people who sometimes take over the "does God exist thread" to talk about the ontological argument in great detail. Of those people, perhaps Jammyduel.
Original post by The Good Egg
you are all you need. if you haven't got you then coffee shop-ing is a difficult task.

But why? What is even there? Are the interiors especially aesthetically amazing? I don't even like the scent of coffee. I can't imagine why I would ever want to go into such a place alone.
Original post by KingStannis
Ooh I don't know. I most enjoy talking to a group of people who sometimes take over the "does God exist thread" to talk about the ontological argument in great detail. Of those people, perhaps Jammyduel.

It would be nice to finish our discussion on that other thread IRL as it's far less work then. Like, far, far, far, less work. And I agree that disengaging from those topics even when you have far better ways to spend your time is very difficult.

I'm still back on TSR now ffs.
it's only because I'm tired and I actually can't be arsed to type in a way which some people, predominantly middle class and predominantly of the top universities, or in the process of travelling to such a place, and generally receiving or have receieved a cushy lifestyle, consider intelligent.

Its okay lol, i understood that reply more than i ubderstood this replt abyway :rofl:

Excuse spekking mistakes so tiesd thanks
But why? What is even there? Are the interiors especially aesthetically amazing? I don't even like the scent of coffee. I can't imagine why I would ever want to go into such a place alone.

they make working fun fun fun.

Its okay lol, i understood that reply more than i ubderstood this replt abyway :rofl:

Excuse spekking mistakes so tiesd thanks

yeah same night nice typing to you maybe see you in a coffee shop probably never but anyway night!

On that note I remember a time when I was talking to some southerner online who went to one of the best private high schools in The Country and he asked me where I was actually from after telling him I attend the University of Leeds. I told him I was actually born and still living in Leeds. This was much to his dismay. He responded with "But... You talk so well".

I was born in a really ****ty part of Leeds too which makes it all the better. Definitely didn't go to anything like a good high school mwahaha.

Stereotypes can be quite painful at times...
It would be nice to finish our discussion on that other thread IRL as it's far less work then. Like, far, far, far, less work. And I agree that disengaging from those topics even when you have far better ways to spend your time is very difficult.

I'm still back on TSR now ffs.

I agree, although I find it much easier to muster my thoughts when writing.

You should join us when we get talking about the ontological argument if you want tbh, since you study philosophy. All the others study maths and i enjoy philosophy but don't study it.
I agree, although I find it much easier to muster my thoughts when writing.

You should join us when we get talking about the ontological argument if you want tbh, since you study philosophy. All the others study maths and i enjoy philosophy but don't study it.

The ontological argument is silly. I doubt the mathematicians would like my mathematical non-descriptivism tbh.

I studied ceaseless philosophy of religion in my own time during high school/college and I really find it redundant now in hindsight. It's so meh.

Like, I still don't see why you would ever care about making a theologically logical conception of God if you don't actually intend to then look at that through the lens of science in order to view its viability with regards to explaining reality.
The ontological argument is silly. I doubt the mathematicians would like my mathematical non-descriptivism tbh.

I studied ceaseless philosophy of religion in my own time during high school/college and I really find it redundant now in hindsight. It's so meh.

Like, I still don't see why you would ever care about making a theologically logical conception of God if you don't actually intend to then look at that through the lens of science in order to view its viability with regards to explaining reality.

I don't think the ontological argument is silly. I think it's extremely cool. The reasons why it doesn't conclude that there is a God I find very interesting to discuss. Especially the modern ones. And it generally ends up in discussions of possible worlds, the difference between maths and logic, the Kripke semantics and such. The best thing is that these discussions piss off all the people there who want to debate really mundane things like scripture and talk about evolution

The mathematicians would be open to being persuaded by a position in the phil of maths if it were proven to them I think.

I personally think the philosophy of religion is highly important. Atheism has an intellectual high ground in today's society but at a popular level atheist arguments are so poor (thanks Dawkins) and that irks me.
(edited 9 years ago)
ExWunderkind if I've spelled his name correctly because he's so charming :daydreaming:
I don't think the ontological argument is silly. I think it's extremely cool. The reasons why it doesn't conclude that there is a God I find very interesting to discuss. Especially the modern ones. And it generally ends up in discussions of possible worlds, the difference between maths and logic, the Kripke semantics and such. The best thing is that these discussions piss off all the people there who want to debate really mundane things like scripture and talk about evolution.

I personally think the philosophy of religion is highly important. Atheism has an intellectual high ground in today's society but at a popular level atheist arguments are so poor (thanks Dawkins) and that irks me.

Yeah. New atheists are a blight. Nearly as bad as the modern moral nihilists :biggrin:

Possible worlds are a nonsense though and they're the direct result of terrible meta-physics which came about because Wittgenstein was ignored...

How old are you? What are you studying/studied?
Yeah. New atheists are a blight. Nearly as bad as the modern moral nihilists :biggrin:

Possible worlds are a nonsense though and they're the direct result of terrible meta-physics which came about because Wittgenstein was ignored...

How old are you? What are you studying/studied?

Elaborate on why possible worlds are a nonsense. Verification was surely rendered useless by Godel? They seem to be the perfect formalisation of modal reasoning, at an intuitive level at least.

I'm 17. I'm studying philosophy (well, the cop out version of it you get at A level anyway), history and ENglish lit, with the intention of studying history at university. However, recently I've started to get back into philosophy. And also, politics is starting to interest me. I flip flop so much with what I want to study it's embarrassing.
(edited 9 years ago)
Probably Rakas. Want to see the evil genius behind the mask.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Like this?? :curious: not even sure if I'm quoting properly.

If it does work, you.

Ohhh what's this :colondollar: :biggrin:
Reply 57
Oh.Ma.Days.

How?! :eek:

I think coffee is just one of those love-hate things. I don't like it either. I don't really like hot chocolate either. BUT I LOVE REAL CHOCOLATE.
Elaborate on why possible worlds are a nonsense. Verification was surely rendered useless by Godel? They seem to be the perfect formalisation of model reasoning, at an intuitive level at least.

I'm 17. I'm studying philosophy (well, the cop out version of it you get at A level anyway), history and ENglish lit, with the intention of studying history at university. However, recently I've started to get back into philosophy. And also, politics is starting to interest me. I flip flop so much with what I want to study it's embarrassing.

The **** do you know about Kripke already? Damn... You're gonna go far in life man.

Verification is dead, yeah, but Wittgenstein said so much more than that, he honestly was for the most part ignored though in his discussion about non-descriptivism.

Anyways, I'm gonna PM you what I think about this topic. It's not finalised and I concede that I'm not an expert at phil of maths, but this seems the most intuitive way to go for me as of yet.
Something Dutchman, or something like that I forget.

I think he very funny, witty and straight to the point. Seems like a laugh anyway.

Also chaotic butterfly he's a genuinely good person. Would be good friend.

Also I'd get an iced coffee chocolate drink :3 because yummm

Quick Reply

Latest