The Student Room Group

Overthinking personal statement

I’ve got 5 days left to submit my application. Genuinely I can’t think or have the energy. I’ve got onto like draft 15, which is completed, but I’m redoing it because it’s bad. Teachers think it’s fine but I don’t think so. It’s for illustration, animation and games art. Should I just bang whatever together and submit it?
Original post by Bolognacoffee
I’ve got 5 days left to submit my application. Genuinely I can’t think or have the energy. I’ve got onto like draft 15, which is completed, but I’m redoing it because it’s bad. Teachers think it’s fine but I don’t think so. It’s for illustration, animation and games art. Should I just bang whatever together and submit it?

Hi @Bolognacoffee

If you're finding yourself stuck rewriting the same sort of thing over and over, and keep making new drafts but are still feeling that it's not quite right, I'd suggest going back to basics.

Make a quick list of everything you've done so far in education, work, work experience, volunteering, extra curricular, etc., to see if you've included your best work so far. This may feel like you're going back to the beginning, but I find checking off what I included made me feel more reassured with my statement.

Have you included a bit about why you want to study your desired course? Maybe include a bit about what you're most interested in, what you'd like to develop at university. Maybe add in why studying your desired subject at uni is important to you. Anything that shows your interest in your subject, and if you have enough line space, add in what you'd like to develop further at degree level.

Your teacher reading it is great, and I'm sure their feedback is reliable, so you're more than likely ready to send it off. But, maybe get a friend or family member to give it a read over. They might not be able to offer you an educational perspective, but they can probably tell you whether your writing is a true reflection of your own voice, or if you're sounding like a stranger. Sounds a bit weird, but my first draft included writer's and artists I didn't really know, and it didn't seem like my genuine voice. Your statement needs to be formally written, but remember to keep it genuine and realistic to you, so the universities can get a better insight into you.

Hope this helps! And best of luck getting it sent off!
Emily
Student Rep at BCU 🙂
Reply 2
if your teachers are saying it's fine then i do believe it is too 🙂 for arts and design courses what really matters most is about you in the interview and your portfolio. dont stress about it, it's gonna be all fine ❤️ just submit

Quick Reply

Latest