The Student Room Group

I cannot write fast enough!

A history 12 mark essay should take 15 minutes maximum, mine took approximately 19 minutes, including a few minutes thinking time before I started writing it down. I cannot physically make my argument, write it down in 15 minutes :frown: what do I do???

I am now left is disappointment and a cramp in my hand.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
A history 12 mark essay should take 15 minutes maximum, mine took approximately 19 minutes, including a few minutes thinking time before I started writing it down. I cannot physically make my argument, write it down in 15 minutes :frown: what do I do???

I am now left is disappointment and a cramp in my hand.

Is this GCSE? Oh, the horror.
I actually missed out a question (only 6 marks though, I don't recommend doing this as it was a few years ago now) because I honestly couldn't be bothered and my hand was starting to kill me.

My teacher always tried to convince us that the more we wrote, the more used to it our hands/arms would get so that's just what I did. I wrote everything as fast as possible - became crap handwriting, mind - so got done in time.

If you can't improve your speed, improve your revision so at least you can think of points quicker.
Original post by jenigma
Is this GCSE? Oh, the horror.
I actually missed out a question (only 6 marks though, I don't recommend doing this as it was a few years ago now) because I honestly couldn't be bothered and my hand was starting to kill me.

My teacher always tried to convince us that the more we wrote, the more used to it our hands/arms would get so that's just what I did. I wrote everything as fast as possible - became crap handwriting, mind - so got done in time.

If you can't improve your speed, improve your revision so at least you can think of points quicker.

Sadly and very unfortunately it is AS which makes it a million times worse! Oh the hand cramps:frown: Yes I agree improvement in revision and immediate point developing definitely does help but my stupid hand can't write as fast as my brain is thinking, so sometimes by the end on my sentence I forget my next sentence. Oh I could cry right now!!
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Sadly and very unfortunately it is AS which makes it a million times worse! Oh the hand cramps:frown: Yes I agree improvement in revision and immediate point developing definitely does help but my stupid hand can't write as fast as my brain is thinking, so sometimes by the end on my sentence I forget my next sentence. Oh I could cry right now!!

Oh God AS, sounds like torture.

Just practise then, can't think of anything else you could do :tongue:
Original post by jenigma
Oh God AS, sounds like torture.

Just practise then, can't think of anything else you could do :tongue:

Yes it is very much torture! I think I needed to let it out, and whats a better place then tar? :smile:
You could try and ask your school to book you more time in exams if your writing speed is judged to be slower than the average. It's worth just getting tested, it could help you get a higher grade.
Reply 6
The more you know the content inside out the quicker you are able to make your arguments. Trust me it took me like 30 mins to get those 12 mark essays done, but by the time Exam time came, i knew the content inside out and it was a matter of just writing down the relevant bits where and when needed. Got my time down to 12 mins aprox...min per mark.

Be prepared for 2 45 markers during A2 :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest