The Student Room Group

OUDCE

Hi this is my first post here.

I'm a mature student and I'm going to apply to the OUDCE to study art history part time. The course is made up of modules which give you CATS points which count towards your degree.I'll be studying online and at the OUSSA for the first year.The second year I'll be moving to Oxford to study part time face to face and the third year at OU. I have to admit it I'm pretty terrified at the thought of going back into education and was wondering whether anyone else on here has been through the same process.
Has anybody gone through the same route?
:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Paladian
Hi this is my first post here.

I'm a mature student and I'm going to apply to the OUDCE to study art history part time. ...and was wondering whether anyone else on here has been through the same process. Has anybody gone through the same route? :smile:

I studied History part-time at the OUDCE as a mature student, though the format was different. It was a two year course with no online component and was equivalent to the first year of a degree (120 CATS points). So I would be happy to answer any general questions but wouldn't be any use to you regarding the specific subject/course :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by shoshin
I studied History part-time at the OUDCE as a mature student, though the format was different. It was a two year course with no online component and was equivalent to the first year of a degree (120 CATS points). So I would be happy to answer any general questions but wouldn't be any use to you regarding the specific subject/course :smile:

Did you find the teaching was as good as on an oxford uni course proper?
Reply 3
Did you find the teaching was as good as on an oxford uni course proper?

The short answer is yes. My tutors were mostly Fellows and the Course Director was/is arguably the best authority on his period in the country. However, it's difficult to compare directly because the weekly tutorial is central to the full time degree. In a tutorial you are either alone with your tutor, or with either one or two fellow students. This is a different experience to the OUDCE because much of my course there was delivered in lectures.

The OUDCE Art History Course Director is still Dr. Janina Ramirez isn't it? Have you seen her on telly? She's excellent and an Oxford alumna herself. Have you thought of attending the Art History Diploma Open Evening on 4th of March? I know that's not the course you have in mind but they wouldn't need to know that. You could meet Dr.Ramirez and get a feel for the OUDCE and Art History there. The details are here just in case you haven't come across them:

https://www.conted.ox.ac.uk/courses/details.php?id=23
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by shoshin
The short answer is yes. My tutors were mostly Fellows and the Course Director was/is arguably the best authority on his period in the country. However, it's difficult to compare directly because the weekly tutorial is central to the full time degree. In a tutorial you are either alone with your tutor, or with either one or two fellow students. This is a different experience to the OUDCE because much of my course there was delivered in lectures.

The OUDCE Art History Course Director is still Dr. Janina Ramirez isn't it? Have you seen her on telly? She's excellent and an Oxford alumna herself. Have you thought of attending the Art History Diploma Open Evening on 4th of March? I know that's not the course you have in mind but they wouldn't need to know that. You could meet Dr.Ramirez and get a feel for the OUDCE and Art History there. The details are here just in case you haven't come across them:

https://www.conted.ox.ac.uk/courses/details.php?id=23

I didn't realise that was the course director WoW I have watched some of her programmes and would have loved to meet her, unfortunately I've already booked to go to the open evening on the 10th March. Also I'm moving house so I couldn't really anyway which is a shame.

I hope to do the diploma after I've finished the certificate. I'm really looking forward to studying. I didn't realise the tutors would be so high profile.

Is the competition strong to get on the courses? I've been to university but left due to illness which I still have but am recovering from - slowly.
Reply 5
...Is the competition strong to get on the courses? I've been to university but left due to illness which I still have but am recovering from - slowly.

For my course there was a Personal Statement and an interview, but the objective seemed to be to make sure that I would benefit from the course and was capable of passing it. I didn't get the feeling that I was in competition; my main aim was to demonstrate commitment and enthusiasm and that I had a coherent reason for wishing to study.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by shoshin
For my course there was a Personal Statement and an interview, but the objective seemed to be to make sure that I would benefit from the course and was capable of passing it. I didn't get the feeling that I was in competition; my main aim was to demonstrate commitment and enthusiasm and that I had a coherent reason for wishing to study.

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending