The Student Room Group

AS WJEC Computing 1101/01 CG1 - 1st June AM 2015 [EXAM DISCUSSION THREAD]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 2014_GCSE
What are the database management systems?

They normally ask questions about the database management systems around the middle of the paper and it's usually about problems with paper based systems and how computerized databases will overcome these problems. They've not really gone into what a database management system includes. These are things like data storage/retrieval and updating data, defining data structures, setting primary keys. Performing searches using a language provided by the DBMS e.g. SQL, Organizing the data (sorting, filtering), maintaining the database integrity by validating fields and checking for data stored more than once, preventing two people editing a shared database at once by locking cells currently being edited. Backup and recovery facilities and database security.

I could be completely wrong though as DBMS is only in section CG1.2, the rest of the essay questions have come from later sections.
Original post by FreeRoam
This is quite a general question but did anyone else find learning this course extremely boring?

Yup, revision and coursework especially was pretty dry, but we did have a cool teacher so lessons were fun (despite being completely off topic most of the time :h:).

So it's likely that processing types will come up? What is that? I feel like I should know considering the exam's tomorrow.

Spoiler

That pretty much describes my experience learning the course. Bad teaching made the course even less enjoyable than it already was.
What college/school do you study at?

Oldham Sith Form College, I'm a resit student so I've had 2 years with a terrible teacher and have had to teach myself most of the course. We haven't learned the last quarter of CG3 as he said we used that theory time for a coursework extension. That was the couple of weeks before easter. On the schedule of work the stuff we didn't learn was supposed to be covered after easter, mainly the 4 weeks before we broke up. What he did instead of teaching us in those last 4 weeks was make us revise CG3.1,3.2,3.3. The stuff we did in September and had already committed to memory while he sat on his arse at his computer doing absolutely nothing.

He's been a terrible teacher and quite a number of us tried to get him fired, he wasn't because apparently the college is struggling for money and there's absolutely nobody that could teach computing around.

I wish I hadn't picked it. I would have got better grades in a different subject and would have had a much easier time getting into university.
Original post by Deathinmycoffee

So it's likely that processing types will come up? What is that? I feel like I should know considering the exam's tomorrow.

That's real time control systems, real time booking systems, and batch processing systems.

If you have to talk about anything involving real time, slip the word immediately in there a bunch of times, they like that word.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by CoreyD97
Oldham Sith Form College, I'm a resit student so I've had 2 years with a terrible teacher and have had to teach myself most of the course. We haven't learned the last quarter of CG3 as he said we used that theory time for a coursework extension. That was the couple of weeks before easter. On the schedule of work the stuff we didn't learn was supposed to be covered after easter, mainly the 4 weeks before we broke up. What he did instead of teaching us in those last 4 weeks was make us revise CG3.1,3.2,3.3. The stuff we did in September and had already committed to memory while he sat on his arse at his computer doing absolutely nothing.

He's been a terrible teacher and quite a number of us tried to get him fired, he wasn't because apparently the college is struggling for money and there's absolutely nobody that could teach computing around.

I wish I hadn't picked it. I would have got better grades in a different subject and would have had a much easier time getting into university.

Is your teacher called Richard by any chance?
Original post by JT4NG56
Is your teacher called Richard by any chance?

Exactly, I take it you're OSFC too :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 46
Exactly, I take it you're OSFC too :smile:

Haha, nope. I have a friend who is doing AS Computing in OSFC and he always goes on about how bad he is and how he relies on you to learn everything yourself. Feels for you XD.
Original post by JT4NG56
Haha, nope. I have a friend who is doing AS Computing in OSFC and he always goes on about how bad he is and how he relies on you to learn everything yourself. Feels for you XD.

Haha, I'm not surprised you've heard about him then! I had so many problems with him last year, I walked out of the class on more than one occasion. He looks down on us and he's always right even though he knows nothing about computing really. He can not program, at all. He just stands and reads off the 'TheTeacher' website.

We're set no work for outside of class, he doesn't provide any actual tasks for us to do, our task whenever we did have one was to save the teacher notes from the website to our user area and print them off in our next free period. I think he set us homework once this year, that was over Christmas and he never mentioned that homework again, he didn't even check if we did it.

I'm glad I'm rid of him now and I feel for your friend who has to endure another year of him.

Sorry for derailing the thread guys
Reply 48
Haha, I'm not surprised you've heard about him then! I had so many problems with him last year, I walked out of the class on more than one occasion. He looks down on us and he's always right even though he knows nothing about computing really. He can not program, at all. He just stands and reads off the 'TheTeacher' website.

We're set no work for outside of class, he doesn't provide any actual tasks for us to do, our task whenever we did have one was to save the teacher notes from the website to our user area and print them off in our next free period. I think he set us homework once this year, that was over Christmas and he never mentioned that homework again, he didn't even check if we did it.

I'm glad I'm rid of him now and I feel for your friend who has to endure another year of him.

Sorry for derailing the thread guys

Sounds exactly like what my friend says about him :biggrin::biggrin:. I live like 15 minutes away from OSFC but I'm kinda glad I didn't go there for computing. What are you planning on taking in uni? and good luck for the exam tomorrow.
Original post by JT4NG56
Sounds exactly like what my friend says about him :biggrin::biggrin:. I live like 15 minutes away from OSFC but I'm kinda glad I didn't go there for computing. What are you planning on taking in uni? and good luck for the exam tomorrow.

Thanks + I'll PM you.
Original post by 8472
We could potentially have one on operating systems. Say what is the role, what does it provides though i'm not quite sure if that would be worth all the marks the essay one usually is. Since this is more or less the last time I bet they'll give us 2 sightly lower mark essay questions on topics not previously chosen. Just hope not.

I reckon the final essay will be on methods of changeover, as this hasnt popped up in a while too...
Original post by Killerpenguin15
I reckon the final essay will be on methods of changeover, as this hasnt popped up in a while too...

Yeah, this or processing types. Processing types last came up in winter 2013 and changeover summer 2012. I've done the change over question though and a lot of their points on the mark scheme were just repeated with a lot of important points not on the mark scheme at all so I really hope we get processing types instead.

Edit: Maintenance is another that hasn't popped up in a while, make sure you guys revise that too.
here's a sort of cheat sheet to the questions they usually ask. Its not that good but hope it helps.
Reply 53
Original post by OldMcMorgan
here's a sort of cheat sheet to the questions they usually ask. Its not that good but hope it helps.

Quite a useful summary, nice contribution. Gonna revise that tomorrow morning pre-exam
What are the specific things which you should know in the area of documentation?
Reply 55
What are the specific things which you should know in the area of documentation?

User Documentation - Manual for the user on how to work the system and how to use it.

Technical Manual - Used by the programmers, contains the annotated listings of the program and data dictionaries etc so that other programmers can maintain the system if required.
Does anyone know all the definitions for the processing types?
Okay, I'm off to bed now guys! Good luck tomorrow and for any future exams!
Original post by Killerpenguin15
Does anyone know all the definitions for the processing types?

I posted an image earlier but it musn't have submitted properly. You don't really need to know definitions for processing types but here's what they look for in answers.

I posted an image earlier but it musn't have submitted properly. You don't really need to know definitions for processing types but here's what they look for in answers.

So you could just memorise all that and just talk about it in the exam?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending