The Student Room Group

Vector calculus

YEAR 1 IN UNI

Hey guys, was wondering if anyone could help me with some mathematics problems

e.g. Represent the line segment from (2,-1, 3) to (-1,5,4) parametrically.

^^^ HAVE NO IDEA:angry:

I have so many other problems and dont know how to solve them, any solutions or websites that anyone knows that would help me would be greatly appreciated!!!!! :confused:
Original post by Lauren_ellams
YEAR 1 IN UNI

I have so many other problems and dont know how to solve them, any solutions or websites that anyone knows that would help me would be greatly appreciated!!!!! :confused:

Parametrically basically means having it as a function of time. If it's literally just a straight line then you should be able to work out the Cartesian equation for it, then just google 'how to convert Cartesian to parametric' and something will probably come up which answers it.

Or you could think of it like this: at t=0 coordinates are (2,-1, 3) and at t=1 it's (-1,5,4) so r=(-3, 6, -1)(x, y, z) is the gradient. I dunno I haven't thought about this in ages, I'm probs talking **** haha, but yeah try googling what I said
The parametric equation of a line passing through points a and b is:

L=a+t(b-a)

Where t is the parameter.
(Note I have made some things in bold because they are vectors!)

I think you do this in C4, so you might be able to look through your notes for that?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by rayquaza17
The parametric equation of a line passing through points a and b is:

L=a+t(b-a)

Where t is the parameter.
(Note I have made some things in bold because they are vectors!)

I think you do this in C4, so you might be able to look through your notes for that?

Lol I remember this now, I'm getting flashbacks from my Geometry and Motion module where had to design a rollercoaster with spirals and helixes and loops and stuff from parametric equations for our first assignment :biggrin:
Original post by Wahrheit
Lol I remember this now, I'm getting flashbacks from my Geometry and Motion module where had to design a rollercoaster with spirals and helixes and loops and stuff from parametric equations for our first assignment :biggrin:

That sounds very exciting! I'd personally play rollercoaster tycoon for inspiration if I got to do anything like that!
Original post by rayquaza17
That sounds very exciting! I'd personally play rollercoaster tycoon for inspiration if I got to do anything like that!

Haha yes, I totally should have done that!!
Reply 6
Original post by Lauren_ellams
YEAR 1 IN UNI

As suggested above this should be C4 revision for you :smile:

The parametric form of a line is r = p + tq where p is the position vector of any point on the line and q is the direction vector of the line. Does this ring any bells?

Quick Reply

Latest