The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Qualifying mark questions, any help?!

No one at uni here has given me a straight answer for this but I just hope to god someone can on here or soon.

I understand the qualifying mark for modules is 25% here. Firstly if you where to get that or above ( if your mark is still below 40%) it says on the guidelines that you will receive a pass by compensation, provided you pass all your core modules. Firstly, would you still be awarded the full credit for the module if this is the case?

Secondly, 40% of one of my modules is an exam. 60% is coursework. If I were to do very badly in that coursework and get about a mark of 48 in total, and fail on my exam and get nothing for it, when I work it to a calculator, ( 48 x 0.60) it gives me a number of 28.8

So surely that would mean my module mark is 28, which by the looks of things is above the qualifying mark, and I can still pass the module, even if I get nothing on the exam? (and providing I pass all my compulsory modules)

Thanks
Original post by Cameron10
No one at uni here has given me a straight answer for this but I just hope to god someone can on here or soon.

I understand the qualifying mark for modules is 25% here. Firstly if you where to get that or above ( if your mark is still below 40%) it says on the guidelines that you will receive a pass by compensation, provided you pass all your core modules. Firstly, would you still be awarded the full credit for the module if this is the case?

Secondly, 40% of one of my modules is an exam. 60% is coursework. If I were to do very badly in that coursework and get about a mark of 48 in total, and fail on my exam and get nothing for it, when I work it to a calculator, ( 48 x 0.60) it gives me a number of 28.8

So surely that would mean my module mark is 28, which by the looks of things is above the qualifying mark, and I can still pass the module, even if I get nothing on the exam? (and providing I pass all my compulsory modules)

Thanks

Hi Cameron,

You can discuss this with your personal academic tutor, who is there to advise you on academic matters. What faculty are you in? If you let us know, we can put you in touch with the student office who can also help answer your questions.

We hope this helps.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending