The Student Room Group

Why did I get Rejected From Oxford?

Hi!

I got rejected pre-interview from oxford in my application to study history and politics. Recently, I received a very confusing feedback email. I am hope you can help me understand it.

It claims that while they read and ‘used’ my written work, they did not mark it and could not provide any feedback. Additionally, they attached a document to their email- which claimed that history written work was only used post-interview, and that their shortilisting criteria was 50% based on gcses and 50% based on the hat score.

I was unable to sit the HAT- my school was forced to close due to a red weather warning (threat to life) and I myself had no power and was unable to travel as all buses were cancelled. Therefore, I had no HAT score as I was unable to do it. My school informed the college, and I also informed the college asking if i could supply any supplemetary material. There reply was no.

In terms of my contextualised GCSE’s, I am a Scottish student. This means rather than GCSE’s, I sat Nat5s and Highers. I have 8 Nat 5s at an A (8/9 equivalent), and 5 highers at an A. This is the maximum my school could facilitate, and is above the average. This means my contextualised GCSE score should be good, or at least not a negative on my application.

However, this does not answer my question; Why was I rejected?

Edit; They also adressed my email wrong?!
(edited 2 months ago)
They probably rejected you as you were unable to do the HAT
Reply 2
Original post by flowersinmyhair
They probably rejected you as you were unable to do the HAT

Hi! This still does not make sense to me as it was considered a “special circumstance”, and therefore (according to the college) had no bearing on my application? Thanks for the reply 🙂
Original post by Okayrue

Hi! This still does not make sense to me as it was considered a “special circumstance”, and therefore (according to the college) had no bearing on my application? Thanks for the reply 🙂

You weren’t good enough relative to other candidates then, the admissions process is competitive so not all qualified candidates can be admitted

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending