The Student Room Group

The Official 2017 Cambridge Applicants Thread

Welcome to the 2017 Cambridge Applicants Thread Mk. 1!

With AS exams just around the corner and lower sixth coming to an end (yes it's April but we all know how quickly these few months will go), now is a good time to be looking at universities. This thread is for those who are aspiring to apply to Cambridge for 2017 entry!

I'll be posting as much information as possible to answer any queries, and I'm sure the fabulous Cambridge college admissions accounts will be on hand to answer more specific questions.

SUBMIT INTERVIEW DECISIONS HERE -> https://goo.gl/forms/7mi8hE4WL71dfuvJ3
VIEW EVERYONE'S RESPONSES -> HERE!

CAMBRIDGE ADMISSIONS ASSESSMENT HELP -> http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4381288

FAQs

Spoiler

OP still in progress!

Other useful links:
Cambridge 2016 thread IV
University of Cambridge website
Life of a compsci
Unistats

Ports of call:
@Peterhouse Admissions
@Christ's Admissions
@LucyCavendish
@Corpus Admissions
@Murray Edwards Admissions
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hello :smile:

Gcse predictions: 5 A*s 2As
Last years results: 2A*s 1A

Haven't got mock results yet

A level choices: maths, further maths, physics and music

Course: hoping to do maths

Extracurricular: lots of music, further maths classes

Responsibilities (if this is relevant?) : senior prefect, prom committee, form captain, anti bullying ambassador, peer mentor

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Really glad I've found this :smile:

GCSE Predictions: 7A*s and 3As :smile:

GCSE Mocks: 6A*s and 4As

A-level Choices: Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Geography.

Courses Interested in: Geography or Economics :smile:

Extra Curriculum stuff: Setting up my own business, trading on the stock market and work experience with Oil company :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by SSpringer20
Really glad I've found this :smile:

GCSE Predictions: 7A*s and 3As :smile:

GCSE Mocks: 6A*s and 4As

A-level Choices: Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Geography.

Courses Interested in: Geography or Economics :smile:

Extra Curriculum stuff: Setting up my own business, trading on the stock market and work experience with Oil company :smile:

wow, some great extracurricular stuff!
Reply 4
Original post by misscrouton
Hello :smile:

Gcse predictions: 5 A*s 2As
Last years results: 2A*s 1A

Haven't got mock results yet

A level choices: maths, further maths, physics and music

Course: hoping to do maths

Extracurricular: lots of music, further maths classes

Responsibilities (if this is relevant?) : senior prefect, prom committee, form captain, anti bullying ambassador, peer mentor

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess responsibilities are important :smile:
Original post by jamestg
wow, some great extracurricular stuff!

Thanks man :smile:

What course(s) are you interested in??
Reply 6
GCSE Predictions: 6A*s 4As 1B

GCSE Mocks: 4A*s 1A 2Bs (haven't got all results yet)

A-level Choices: Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics.

Will also be trying out the EPQ course

Course: NatSci - Chemical Engineering. (This is what happens when your mum is a chemist and your dad is a civil engineer.)

Extra Curricular stuff: Work experience at a water company, head college boy and also setting up business (not much but whatever).
Hello I'm not as academically gifted as people who have previously posted but still hopeful!

GCSE predictions: All Bs (I know I'll get better)
Last years results: 3 As (nearly A*s)
GCSE mocks: haven't got any results yet but I'll post them when I receive them:smile:
A level choices: English literature, History, Geography and Politics. (For now still not 100% sure)

I definitely want to do the extended project qualification.

Course interested in: Law (right now it's law but I'm also interested in politics).

Extra curricular stuff: prom committee, basketball team and every single revision session available 😂. Volunteer at the local library. Work experience as a TA.

Responsibilities: senior prefect, head girl, peer mentor, reading mentor, anti bullying ambassador, captain of the girls basketball team, sports leader and prom committee.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've also done some work experience and plan to do the epq :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by SSpringer20
Thanks man :smile:

What course(s) are you interested in??

No problem!

Some of them are not at Cambridge but some are. Business Administration, Management, Economics, Biology, Biomedical Sciences, Anatomical Science, Computer Science and Politics.
Reply 10
Original post by jamestg
I guess responsibilities are important :smile:

They really aren't.

This thread's VERY early, best of luck to all of you, long way yet.
I'm aware universities do not care whether I got nearly an A* in my results; I mentioned that in my previous post just as an indication that they were high As and that I could have achieved an A*. I do know universities look at if your A is a high A or a low A so I thought it was relevant. 😊😊😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TVIO
They really aren't.

This thread's VERY early, best of luck to all of you, long way yet.

From my perspective responsibilities really are important as they show many qualities which will set you aside from people. For example, being head girl/boy implies you are responsible, reliable and a good leader to name a few.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Theawesomejem
From my perspective responsibilities really are important as they show many qualities which will set you aside from people. For example, being head girl/boy implies you are responsible, reliable and a good leader to name a few.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been through the process and I've come out with an offer, and they've said time and time again they don't care much. They care if it's somewhat related to your subject, but otherwise they really don't. They don't care if you're responsible,reliable and a good leader, they want people who are going to get firsts and II.1s regardless of everything else.
Well done for getting an offer that's amazing! :smile: What for? Of course they want people who are going to excel that's why the entry requirements are high. No disrespect but I doubt Cambridge "really don't care" about responsibilities because it's not all about grades I think you have to show the kind of person you are, a great way to do this I think is through gaining responsibilities at school; showing initiative. Also, thousands of students apply to Cambridge with excellent grades and some don't get in we can all make assumptions as to why but one of the reasons I wouldn't be surprised with is because in school all they focused on was their grades and did nothing else. You need to do other things besides succeed in exams e.g. being a role model through responsibilities in school and in turn helping others. I'm not saying grades aren't important they really are but responsibilities have some importance too. I've went on a lot but my point is even if responsibilities aren't "really important" they are still important. I don't see how Cambridge could really not care about responsibilities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Well done for getting an offer that's amazing! :smile: What for? Of course they want people who are going to excel that's why the entry requirements are high. No disrespect but I doubt Cambridge "really don't care" about responsibilities because it's not all about grades I think you have to show the kind of person you are, a great way to do this I think is through gaining responsibilities at school; showing initiative. Also, thousands of students apply to Cambridge with excellent grades and some don't get in we can all make assumptions as to why but one of the reasons I wouldn't be surprised with is because in school all they focused on was their grades and did nothing else. You need to do other things besides succeed in exams e.g. being a role model through responsibilities in school and in turn helping others. I'm not saying grades aren't important they really are but responsibilities have some importance too. I've went on a lot but my point is even if responsibilities aren't "really important" they are still important. I don't see how Cambridge could really not care about responsibilities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll echo TVIO, they really do not care about "responsibilities" or extracurricular activities at all. They do care about your academic performance, and, somewhat, Supercurriculars (ie related to the degree you are interested in).

But that's not to say you shouldn't be proud of showing responsibilities. Of course they are good for your personal development and other unis do put more emphasis on it. Just not Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16

Posted from TSR Mobile

Trust me, I'm dull as bricks but got an offer for computer science with maths this year. It's not high on their priorities at all!

Taken from their website:
"Will my application be helped by extra-curricular activities?

All admissions decisions are based on academic criteria, and excellence in an extra-curricular activity will never compensate for lower academic potential. That said, extra-curricular activities are looked at, as they can be helpful in showing how an applicant balances their academic and personal commitments, demonstrating time management skills. It does not matter how these are developed: we do not value some activities over others. To us, achieving well at school while holding down a part-time job stacking shelves at your local supermarket is no less impressive than achieving well at school while representing your county at hockey."

Source:http://www.applytocambridge.com/applying/faqs/ (alternative Cambridge prospectus, it's official and made by Cambridge).

It's mildly interesting if you have it as it could be revealing that you have potential to spare, but honestly that's what the interview is for, and they're going to trust that strongly.
Original post by TVIO
Trust me, I'm dull as bricks but got an offer for computer science with maths this year.

You have an offer from Cambridge to do computer Science and maths you're far from dull as bricks! I still think to a certain extent responsibilities are important but above all else the interview is an indication of qualities anyway. What sort of questions did you get asked?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
You have an offer from Cambridge to do computer Science and maths you're far from dull as bricks! I still think to a certain extent responsibilities are important but above all else the interview is an indication of qualities anyway. What sort of questions did you get asked?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Questions vary greatly between subjects. You'll have 1-3 interviews and they're either subject or general. Mine were both subject so I was asked mostly maths with a few logic questions. Personal statement/any discussion about me was not present, just maths for me. If you have a general interview then it will be about you, your PS and it'll be the most likely place for the most famous "cambridge questions" that sound horrendous out of context.
I'm looking to do maths and I honestly can't wait for a levels because there is so much more of it in my subjects :ahee:

I'm scared that I'll do really badly in interviews if I get them though :sigh: :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest