The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by peachykeen
so basically do I try and make it sound more like my relation to the subject and make it more about me or...
thank you for the help!

Peterhouse AT (and others) describe it as a love letter for your subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TiernanW

Also, module weighting, like say in Physics the 2 paper exams are worth 37% each I think, so that means the practical is worth 26%. So are the percentages weighted like that so the practical has less effect?

Yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by popeye123
I wasn't suggesting playing the stats game - I was using the stats to try to establish what makes a strong pooled applicant and the AO responded.:smile: Either way, i see you wont play the humility game :wink:

Here is the Guardian article.

So who is good enough to get into Cambridge?

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2012/jan/10/how-cambridge-admissions-really-work?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Posted from TSR Mobile
Christ's is hosting one of their regular Ask An Admissions Tutor threads.

Ask away here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4238242
Would you please specify the things we need to take care while applying for Oxbridge ?
Original post by krvsnicket
Would you please specify the things we need to take care while applying for Oxbridge ?

I don't know exactly what you mean but obviously things like PS and stuff don't matter alot for most subjects but still don't make punctuation errors and grammar etc.
The main thing to do is just say why you love your subject truthfully and it will come across.
You need to be able to think that is the main thing, practice all sorts of challenges Olympiads(if sciences) and the equivalent of arts(idk whhat they are sorry lol) as these are things that help you think. Do the hardest type of questions you can get at your A levels standard and just practice.
Don't practice answers to questions as they will notice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by krvsnicket

In a conversation with an ex-Admission Tutor from one of the colleges, he said "When a candidate tries hard to impress us in the interview, we are often not impressed. Impress without trying to impress." It stuck with me, even though this was after I received my offer (well I wasn't paying too much attention because it was post-offer and this was the most catchy thing he said, so that's probably why it stuck with me lol)
I think he meant to be yourself, and if you're genuinely a student they're looking for they will want you. Trying too hard to impress will come across fake.
Hey guys. I am an overseas student and finished school this year. I would like to apply to Cambridge for 2017, but I do not think I will be able to afford the tuition fees. So, does anybody know if there is a chance that they will cover your tuition fees in the first year of study? Thank you very much.
Original post by Tamuna10
Hey guys. I am an overseas student and finished school this year. I would like to apply to Cambridge for 2017, but I do not think I will be able to afford the tuition fees. So, does anybody know if there is a chance that they will cover your tuition fees in the first year of study? Thank you very much.

I feel bad for you guys. It isn't fair you pay so much to study the exact same thing. Anyway here is a page on financial support for international students: http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/international-students/financial-support
Thank you. :smile:
Hello all!
I'm hoping to apply to do law, I was thinking at Christs but might end up making an open application because I'm not too fussed.
My other choices are LSE, King's, UCL and Kent (I was thinking as an insurance choice due to the lower entry requirements)

the only things is I'm pretty sure I've completely messed up my AS exams. I'm expecting BCD- the B could be an A and the C could be a B but the D is pretty much set in stone. Coming from 10A*s and 1A at GCSE, I had planned to work really really hard (not underestimating the jump between the two) and come out with 4 As but as you can see that hasn't happened 😂, I didn't even end up taking exams for 4 subjects! (although I will be taking the A2 exams in a subject I didn't do the AS ones in so it does even out), but the point is, it all went wrong.

I think if I work really hard next year I can meet the standard Cambridge offer but will I even get a chance to do that? my teachers have faith in me and will probably predict me ABB+ but that's quite far from the A*AA that they want. I've done legal work experience, my super-curriculas are good and my personal statement will be strong but without the AS grades and predicted grades to back me up is there even any chance I'll get an interview?

Even though I'm confident I can get the A2 grades, they're not gonna see that before making a decision. I'm freaking out here, do I need to aim lower?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Starting to feel less and less confident about results day as it creeps closer, especially in relation to applying to Cambridge! Despite being top in my cohort all year, I just... I don't think I'm going to pull it off :frown:

Good luck next week everyone!!
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Starting to feel less and less confident about results day as it creeps closer, especially in relation to applying to Cambridge! Despite being top in my cohort all year, I just... I don't think I'm going to pull it off :frown:

Good luck next week everyone!!

I'm feeling the same. My tracking reports were top of the year. First report was 4A*s and the second one was 3A*s and an A (1 B pulled it down woops xD).

Take heart though, if you're aiming for Cambridge and you do slip up, you've probably still got the grades to apply to other top universities. I remember though when I did my GCSE Maths I was sure I had gotten a C, like I felt like I "knew" I screwed up, and I came out top of the year, as the only person to get grade A in the first sitting (we sat the exams after 1 year of teaching). So you see, worrying doesn't do us much good. Just don't waste your time worrying about it. Whatever happens will happen.
Original post by hillarykeyamo99
Hello all!
I'm hoping to apply to do law, I was thinking at Christs but might end up making an open application because I'm not too fussed.
My other choices are LSE, King's, UCL and Kent (I was thinking as an insurance choice due to the lower entry requirements)

the only things is I'm pretty sure I've completely messed up my AS exams. I'm expecting BCD- the B could be an A and the C could be a B but the D is pretty much set in stone. Coming from 10A*s and 1A at GCSE, I had planned to work really really hard (not underestimating the jump between the two) and come out with 4 As but as you can see that hasn't happened 😂, I didn't even end up taking exams for 4 subjects! (although I will be taking the A2 exams in a subject I didn't do the AS ones in so it does even out), but the point is, it all went wrong.

I think if I work really hard next year I can meet the standard Cambridge offer but will I even get a chance to do that? my teachers have faith in me and will probably predict me ABB+ but that's quite far from the A*AA that they want. I've done legal work experience, my super-curriculas are good and my personal statement will be strong but without the AS grades and predicted grades to back me up is there even any chance I'll get an interview?

Even though I'm confident I can get the A2 grades, they're not gonna see that before making a decision. I'm freaking out here, do I need to aim lower?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't want to act like an admission's tutor because I am not one. Though if they see ABB as the predicted grades, and they're looking A*AA, then I don't see why they would call you for interview. Like I said, I'm not an admission's tutor. If I was you I would go and ask in this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4238242 . Its an official admissions tutor; I'm sure he/she will be honest with you.
GCSE Results 8A*, 2 Distinctions
A Levels taken : Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology

Course i'm interested in: Natural Sciences (Biological)

Extra Curriculars : head girl, cultural event committee, president of glee club, volunteering at a charity shop.
Work experience at lab at chemical plant and in pathology department at Sarawark General Hospital, Malaysia.

I feel like my qualifications won't make me stand out though. Any advice to stand out?
I'm feeling the same. My tracking reports were top of the year. First report was 4A*s and the second one was 3A*s and an A (1 B pulled it down woops xD).

Take heart though, if you're aiming for Cambridge and you do slip up, you've probably still got the grades to apply to other top universities. I remember though when I did my GCSE Maths I was sure I had gotten a C, like I felt like I "knew" I screwed up, and I came out top of the year, as the only person to get grade A in the first sitting (we sat the exams after 1 year of teaching). So you see, worrying doesn't do us much good. Just don't waste your time worrying about it. Whatever happens will happen.

Wise words! Thanks so much :smile: The thing which attracts me to Cambridge isn't the fact it's top, I mean it's definitely a contributing factor, but it's because my passion is history and it's such a historic place, with amazing resources for my field of academics, so if I don't have a shot of getting in, something about that likelihood makes me apprehensive and sad. I'm just preparing for the inevitable, although I'm debating on whether or not to apply post-A2 if I don't perform well this year.

It just sucks so much doesn't it :frown: I hate how my future depends on strangers who, for all I know, could have marked my papers on a particularly bad day.
I don't want to act like an admission's tutor because I am not one. Though if they see ABB as the predicted grades, and they're looking A*AA, then I don't see why they would call you for interview. Like I said, I'm not an admission's tutor. If I was you I would go and ask in this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4238242 . Its an official admissions tutor; I'm sure he/she will be honest with you.

you're probably right. I guess I could apply for 2018 entry after already having my A2 results ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EmDavies19
GCSE Results 8A*, 2 Distinctions
A Levels taken : Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology

Course i'm interested in: Natural Sciences (Biological)

Extra Curriculars : head girl, cultural event committee, president of glee club, volunteering at a charity shop.
Work experience at lab at chemical plant and in pathology department at Sarawark General Hospital, Malaysia.

I feel like my qualifications won't make me stand out though. Any advice to stand out?

An amazing personal statement. :smile: Also, if you do AS-Levels, your UMS averages.

Original post by SteamboatMickey
Wise words! Thanks so much :smile: The thing which attracts me to Cambridge isn't the fact it's top, I mean it's definitely a contributing factor, but it's because my passion is history and it's such a historic place, with amazing resources for my field of academics, so if I don't have a shot of getting in, something about that likelihood makes me apprehensive and sad. I'm just preparing for the inevitable, although I'm debating on whether or not to apply post-A2 if I don't perform well this year.

It just sucks so much doesn't it :frown: I hate how my future depends on strangers who, for all I know, could have marked my papers on a particularly bad day.

I get you. I'm basically the same except for Computer Science. The level of research that goes on there, and the cutting-edge technology just makes me beyond excited! :biggrin:

We've only like 9/10 days to go until results, so they'll be here soon. Try to do something you enjoy. :smile:
Reply 1998
Original post by tiernanw
an amazing personal statement.

bahahahahahahahaha
Original post by alow
bahahahahahahahaha

They do read them you know. They have so many people applying with the same qualifications they need to differentiate, and they use them in interviews for discussion.

Latest

Trending

Trending