The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dorababy1995
So, who else is applying for English? :smile:

Me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Hey guys! I've always wanted to go to Cambridge to study maths and today I received my GCSEs.

I got 2A* 6As 1B and a C

However, I got 7A*s and 3Bs for my mocks and of course these results came as a shock to myself and my teachers.

I looked on the unofficial mark scheme for maths (which everyone said in my school was super accurate and they got the same marks as they predicted after seeing the unofficial mark scheme) and I hit around the A* boundary which was 170/200 and apparently I got 152(my teacher said that). However, I definitely think I can go up by at least 15 marks but is it possible that they could be soo off from the boundary?

Im also buying some of the copies for some unit papers because all of my grades were off tbh. I think I did much better but I don't know whether it's likely for examiners to mark so wrongly in more than 8 papers!

I don't know what to do because it costs so much money but I think it's my only option.

I hope after the remark I get 5A*s 2As and 2Bs! Would either of these results be good for Cambridge?

I really need advice because this is honestly my dream uni and I just don't know what happened! :frown: please help someone. I know this is a freshers thread but ur all going to Cambridge so should have an understanding. Lol sorry if it's long!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm probably not too qualified to answer this but from what I've seen on here it seems that AS/A level grades are a more accurate indicator of success. You could probably get the ones which you think were close remarked, but idk if it's worth all that money getting so many papers remarked (but by all means do if you feel it will be). Focus on getting good AS grades/A level predictions

EDIT: just seen youve already been replied to in another thread lol ok ignore me sorry
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
You don't send anything until Cambridge request it, and it is after you have sent your UCAS application.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for your response !
I didn't register with UCAS because it's required to choose the College before (or it's what I understand). But I just want to know what we have to send, like our A levels results or previous university results (I need a University transcript, right ?), our letters of recommendation, any official document required. I have to prepare this from now on.
I'm sorry to ask a lot of questions ... thank you sincerely.
Original post by Herenis
Thank you so much for your response !
I didn't register with UCAS because it's required to choose the College before (or it's what I understand). But I just want to know what we have to send, like our A levels results or previous university results (I need a University transcript, right ?), our letters of recommendation, any official document required. I have to prepare this from now on.
I'm sorry to ask a lot of questions ... thank you sincerely.

You can choose a college when you apply, or go for an Open application where Cambridge automatically allocates you to a college.

It's all on the link I provided - read everything carefully :smile:

Also read the UCAS info here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UCAS
and https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/filling-your-ucas-undergraduate-application
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
You don't send anything until Cambridge request it, and it is after you have sent your UCAS application.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying

Posted from TSR Mobile

jneill I need your help! Or anyone else who knows the answer.

I'm applying for chemical engineering via natural sciences, but my personal statement is basically entirely focused on chemical engineering as opposed to science as a whole. Will Cambridge expect this?
Original post by richpanda

I'm applying for chemical engineering via natural sciences, but my personal statement is basically entirely focused on chemical engineering as opposed to science as a whole. Will Cambridge expect this?

Yes I think so, they'd prefer you tailor your personal statement to an area of science that interests you. For example, many NatSci applicants would tailor their personal statement to either Physics or Chemistry.
Original post by richpanda

Yes that's absolutely fine. But you could use the (optional) PS in the SAQ to talk about applying via NatSci instead of Engineering if you wanted to.

Cambridge knows the UCAS PS isn't just for them.
Heyo, just a question:

Is anyone gonna make a stalking thread for all of the Camb applicants this year? Seemed to work pretty well for last year's batch ...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LeFeuilly
Heyo, just a question:

Is anyone gonna make a stalking thread for all of the Camb applicants this year? Seemed to work pretty well for last year's batch ...

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is it. As far as I know there won't be any stalking threads since you have university connect at TSR
Original post by BioOx
This is it. As far as I know there won't be any stalking threads since you have university connect at TSR

Ah gotcha. Thanks :smile:
Reply 2510
is maths ums key for econ
Original post by stuan
is maths ums key for econ

Yes it is, but as long as you have 90/95 UMS average then you should be fine to apply. I'm applying for economics too :biggrin:
Original post by NeverLucky
Yep, going to be applying to Chemical Engineering via NatSci as a post A-Level applicant. Have you looked into which college you might want to apply to?

Prpbably pembroke if i apply for cambridge
Hey, so this maybe a longshot with my GCSE's, but I would have wanted to do economics at Cambridge! Unfortunately, GCSE results were very disappointing, but I think I may still have a chance. However, I am thinking that if it is a very slim chance then there is no point applying, and I may aswell save the slot for a more realistic university. What do you guys think? I got 8 a's (including maths and english) and 3 B's and 2 C's. I know this is well below average, but can a stellar AS level performance make up for it? Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2514
Original post by Iceman88
Hey, so this maybe a longshot with my GCSE's, but I would have wanted to do economics at Cambridge! Unfortunately, GCSE results were very disappointing, but I think I may still have a chance. However, I am thinking that if it is a very slim chance then there is no point applying, and I may aswell save the slot for a more realistic university. What do you guys think?

You may have to actually tell people your GCSEs to get a decent opinion...
Original post by alow
You may have to actually tell people your GCSEs to get a decent opinion...

Just edited it, sorry
Reply 2516
Just edited it, sorry

Not impossible but you're going to have to work ****ing hard at A Level.
Hey, so this maybe a longshot with my GCSE's, but I would have wanted to do economics at Cambridge! Unfortunately, GCSE results were very disappointing, but I think I may still have a chance. However, I am thinking that if it is a very slim chance then there is no point applying, and I may aswell save the slot for a more realistic university. What do you guys think? I got 8 a's (including maths and english) and 3 B's and 2 C's. I know this is well below average, but can a stellar AS level performance make up for it? Thanks.

I'm applying for Economics too! Also, while those GCSEs aren't the strongest, the application is holistic so high performance elsewhere (e.g. high 90s maths/further maths UMS average in AS) can make up for that. If there was one area that matters least though, it would probably be the GCSEs, since they aren't the most recent exams taken. :smile:
Original post by alow
Not impossible but you're going to have to work ****ing hard at A Level.

True, will do
Original post by matt.thorne10
I'm applying for Economics too! Also, while those GCSEs aren't the strongest, the application is holistic so high performance elsewhere (e.g. high 90s maths/further maths UMS average in AS) can make up for that. If there was one area that matters least though, it would probably be the GCSEs, since they aren't the most recent exams taken. :smile:

Hopefully so, I understand that 90-95 UMS is probably necessary. and I will have to get that,hopefully I can.Good luck to you!
Would Cambridge really care if you did DofE and CCF? And which one would look more impressive?
Also, ive been told you cannot do both. Any truth to that?

Latest

Trending

Trending