The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
No, this isn't right. [...]

Thanks for clearing it up.
Original post by Zacken
Yeah, but it's Oxford and they aren't usually very clever people.

Saying Oxford applucants "not very clever" is not very kind,lol:biggrin:
Original post by Zacken
Thanks for clearing it up.

No problem! I'll be doing a thread after the assessments to quell nerves and answer questions before the interviews.
Original post by nemanuel96
Hey guys,

As I've stated that I'm living with my parents, aside from the rental agreement, what other document can be used as supporting evidence?

Would housing benefits be of any use? Can't use child benefits as I'm 20.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Any household bills.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No problem! I'll be doing a thread after the assessments to quell nerves and answer questions before the interviews.

Thanks for the info. These questions are probably quite hard to answer prescriptively, and are likely to differ from college to college, but it's worth a shot:
Will section 1 of the AA count in the final selection process, or is its weight mostly given to selecting for interview?
Also, will section 2 be taken into account more than submitted work, or just another equal input into the holistic decision-making process?
Original post by jneill
Any household bills.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Brilliant, thanks jneill!

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, this isn't right. The assessments in pre-interview subjects will be *part* of the decision whether to call people to interview. A few colleges (Pembroke and Churchill for sure) won't be using Section 2 for deselection (but will use them in selection for offers) but everyone will be using Section 1 and the vast majority Section 2 as well.

For quite a lot of people the assessment won't make much difference either way as it will confirm what the rest of the paperwork suggests. Remember also that c.75% of people will get an interview.

Thanks for correcting me, edited my earlier post to avoid misinformation.
Original post by PariahEmir
To add to the debate regarding LNAT multiple choic and humanities section 1, I think the LNAT is harder because, in most questions, all the possible answers sound plausible. Then in the specimen AA for humanities, most of the time you could immediately see that like 2 of the answers were wrong.

That's true! Through a process of deduction, though, I found the LNAT quite straight forward as for the most part if you think carefully, two questions seem glaringly wrong and then with closer thought the right answer revealed itself. Some of the questions I couldn't make much sense of but I did okay so.
No, this isn't right. The assessments in pre-interview subjects will be *part* of the decision whether to call people to interview. A few colleges (Pembroke and Churchill for sure) won't be using Section 2 for deselection (but will use them in selection for offers) but everyone will be using Section 1 and the vast majority Section 2 as well.

For quite a lot of people the assessment won't make much difference either way as it will confirm what the rest of the paperwork suggests. Remember also that c.75% of people will get an interview.

Are candidates who have 3 UMS subjects and 93%+ average still guaranteed interviews? In this case does that mean ATs might be reluctant to deselect people with good grade profiles (for reformed subjects) on the basis of a poor admissions assessment performance?
Original post by SteamboatMickey
When the rejections roll around, can we form a TSR Oxbridge reject squad 2016 (or would it be 2017 because we're applying for 2017 entry)? :biggrin:

Although I bet I'll be one of the only ones with a rejection, you guys are gonna smash it

I would say think positive, you never know you might go in...but can you put me down for the reject list already??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone link the AT saying that they luck people to interview before AA? It seems pointless to have an AA if so

Never mind it's been answered above
Original post by PariahEmir
Thanks for the info. These questions are probably quite hard to answer prescriptively, and are likely to differ from college to college, but it's worth a shot:
Will section 1 of the AA count in the final selection process, or is its weight mostly given to selecting for interview?
Also, will section 2 be taken into account more than submitted work, or just another equal input into the holistic decision-making process?

Yes, I think that Section 1 will generally come into decision making for offers.

There's no clear answer about whether submitted work or section 2 will be more important, I expect it will differ from subject to subject, college to college and, indeed, from candidate to candidate. It's all part of the holistic decision.
Original post by domaths
Are candidates who have 3 UMS subjects and 93%+ average still guaranteed interviews? In this case does that mean ATs might be reluctant to deselect people with good grade profiles (for reformed subjects) on the basis of a poor admissions assessment performance?

Anyone eligible for compulsory pooling must be offered an interview.

I think it's fair to say that colleges are going to want to see strong paper candidates even if their assessment performance is sub-optimal.
Just an odd question but are we allowed to use a pencil and paper in the interview to help with 'thinking out loud' for the questions as such? I feel that it would help me with developing my answers and keep track of my thoughts when explaining. It is fine otherwise, and I might just have to improve on explaining things verbally to an interviewer.
Original post by Soulgeass
Just an odd question but are we allowed to use a pencil and paper in the interview to help with 'thinking out loud' for the questions as such? I feel that it would help me with developing my answers and keep track of my thoughts when explaining. It is fine otherwise, and I might just have to improve on explaining things verbally to an interviewer.

What subject?
I am quite sure it is the case for Maths.
Original post by Melanie Leconte
What subject?
I am quite sure it is the case for Maths.

For economics. But I'm pretty sure they will ask some maths questions which should count as well?
For the fee status, where it says to complete the rows in reverse order for the full three-year period, what do I put down? Lived in the UK all my life and I don't know if I'm meant to put my residence in the last three or so years (e.g. 2014, 2015, 2016) or just the years on the household bills that are supplied (2012 and 2016)

EDIT: wow I really need to start reading things properly.
(edited 7 years ago)
Queens' applicants!!
Do we need to submit the Fee Status Application Questionnaire? It wasn't asked for in the email the college sent me but I have seen others mentioning it over the last few days.
Original post by jennym1957
Queens' applicants!!
Do we need to submit the Fee Status Application Questionnaire? It wasn't asked for in the email the college sent me but I have seen others mentioning it over the last few days.

You only need to complete anything when your college asks you to. Different colleges do things differently. If you haven't been sent it yet it will come in due course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending