The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Steliata
Is Christ's super competitive? It seems like everyone has applied there lol :s-smilie:

Because of the AT on TSR :wink:

Apply to Newnham!
Just wanting to say hello and also share my experience, which may be helpful for some of you.

My experience is the opposite of typical. Against all odds... I received an offer to read Law?! I still don't really believe it.

I am a resit student, having started Year 12 again after not doing as well as I should have first time round (due to reasons stated in my ECF). Teachers suggested I not 'waste a space' with Cambridge, and use my fifth option for a 'safer' university - as Law is already competitive as it is. I applied to Girton, with 2A*5As2Bs2Cs at GCSE and AAAB at AS (a 90.5% ums average). I found the interviews and CLT incredibly difficult.

However, I was placed into the Winter Pool and received an offer from Homerton! I thought I would never be pooled because of my academic record and dire interview, and if I was to be pooled no one would 'fish' me for the exact same reason. It all feels a bit surreal tbh

I think it's incredibly important to go for things you want as if you never try, you'll never get.
Original post by Themathgeek
What did you apply for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Engineering at St. John's

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Steliata
Is Christ's super competitive? It seems like everyone has applied there lol :s-smilie:

Well it seems everyone has applied there on TSR because the AT is a really nice person and really helpful on TSR. But it might be also popular for non-TSR members because of location. I also met someone at my interview who applied there because it was the first one in the alphabetical order...:lol:

It is competitive, but it almost doesn't affect your chance of getting into Cambridge itself (refer to section about the winter pool in my OP in applicants thread MK IV, if you haven't), so if you like a college just go ahead and do it!
Original post by C0balt
Well it seems everyone has applied there on TSR because the AT is a really nice person and really helpful on TSR. But it might be also popular for non-TSR members because of location. I also met someone at my interview who applied there because it was the first one in the alphabetical order...:lol:

It is competitive, but it almost doesn't affect your chance of getting into Cambridge itself (refer to section about the winter pool in my OP in applicants thread MK IV, if you haven't), so if you like a college just go ahead and do it!

That's a genuinely common reason!
Original post by Mikasa_ackerman
Just wanting to say hello and also share my experience, which may be helpful for some of you.

My experience is the opposite of typical. Against all odds... I received an offer to read Law?! I still don't really believe it.

I am a resit student, having started Year 12 again after not doing as well as I should have first time round (due to reasons stated in my ECF). Teachers suggested I not 'waste a space' with Cambridge, and use my fifth option for a 'safer' university - as Law is already competitive as it is. I applied to Girton, with 2A*5As2Bs2Cs at GCSE and AAAB at AS (a 90.5% ums average). I found the interviews and CLT incredibly difficult.

However, I was placed into the Winter Pool and received an offer from Homerton! I thought I would never be pooled because of my academic record and dire interview, and if I was to be pooled no one would 'fish' me for the exact same reason. It all feels a bit surreal tbh

I think it's incredibly important to go for things you want as if you never try, you'll never get.

I second this!
Reply 986
How competitive is Peterhouse for economics? And what is the state school/private school ratio like there?
Reply 987
OVER 1000 REPLIES

yay!
Original post by jamestg
OVER 1000 REPLIES

yay!

Thread starter goals:tongue:
Original post by jamestg
How competitive is Peterhouse for economics? And what is the state school/private school ratio like there?

In 2012 - 57.1% of acceptances went to applicants from maintained schools (pg 19).
In 2014 - 61.9% of offers went to applicants from maintained schools (pg 24).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by C0pper

In 2012 - 57.1% of acceptances went to applicants from maintained schools (pg 19).

My work here is done :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jamestg
OVER 1000 REPLIES

yay!

The number of replies will blow up within the next few months :tongue:
And we might be getting an official applicants thread pretty soon :biggrin:
Original post by jneill
My work here is done :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You taught me well :tongue: I do love the admissions stats graphs though, they're very pretty.
Reply 993
Original post by C0pper

In 2014 - 61.9% of offers went to applicants from maintained schools (pg 24).

Thank you! If I get the results my teachers were saying at parents evening today, I'll definitely consider it! Peterhouse looks like a great college.
Reply 994
Original post by StrawbAri
The number of replies will blow up within the next few months :tongue:
And we might be getting an official applicants thread pretty soon :biggrin:

When would the time be to start it?

Results day? June?
Original post by jamestg
Thank you! If I get the results my teachers were saying at parents evening today, I'll definitely consider it! Peterhouse looks like a great college.

No problem, and good luck with the grades/exams this year :smile: bit too small for my liking but it seems like a nice college for sure!
Reply 996
Original post by C0pper
No problem, and good luck with the grades/exams this year :smile: bit too small for my liking but it seems like a nice college for sure!

Thank you! I presume you're in Y13 so good luck with yours too!
Original post by jamestg

Results day? June?

I can't really remember when the last one started. :redface: @enaayrah do you?

I'm guessing results day would be best becasue by then everyone would know if they were definitely going apply or not
Excuse my ignorance, what's a maintained school?
Original post by jamestg

Results day? June?

This one is fine. It can be renamed as the Official 2017 thread.

Tagging @Puddles the Monkey
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending