The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
No. The test *is* the BMAT.

Thanks
Will we international applicants be taking the test?
Original post by Imperion
Will we international applicants be taking the test?

Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile

Daaaaaaamn so that means we'll have to travel to do them?
Reply 1184
So are they taking into account UMS anymore? @jneill / other peeps who are in the know

Please tell me they're not, because I'm stressing out that mechanics and one of my politics exams will bring the UMS average down :frown:

I think there are usually centres that do them, or maybe your school. I'm sure all will become clear when Cambridge launch the website.

You usually do them at your school
http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/find-a-centre/
Original post by jamestg
So are they taking into account UMS anymore? @jneill / other peeps who are in the know

Please tell me they're not, because I'm stressing out that mechanics and one of my politics exams will bring the UMS average down :frown:

AFAIK they will still use UMS where available because it has been shown to show correlation with tripo performance. Just because tests were introduced the correlation isn't suddenly going to disappear!
But hey even if these bring your average down it is just an average and they look at each module individually. Plus the test will give you an opportunity to 'compensate' for your weaker UMS

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have a question.
Let's say a student was entered for AS exams this year, and they do really badly. The student could still take those subjects for the next year and whatever grade they get wouldn't count for the overall a level,so,when filling out UCAS,couldn't they just lie and say that they weren't entered for any AS exams and convince their teachers to predict them high grades for year 13?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by teenhorrorstory
I have a question.
Let's say a student was entered for AS exams this year, and they do really badly. The student could still take those subjects for the next year and whatever grade they get wouldn't count for the overall a level,so,when filling out UCAS,couldn't they just lie and say that they weren't entered for any AS exams and convince their teachers to predict them high grades for year 13?

...I didn't really read your post properly once I saw "UCAS" and "lie" in the same sentence. Don't.
I have a question.

They could lie, of course, and if they did they would be committing fraud.

You have to declare all results.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
...I didn't really read your post properly once I saw "UCAS" and "lie" in the same sentence. Don't.

Lol I'm not planning to. Was just wondering about a possible flaw with the new AS system
Lol I'm not planning to. Was just wondering about a possible flaw with the new AS system

It's not really a flaw. They check with the exam boards (somewhere around results day in the year you attend), certainly not in all cases but enough for it to be a massive risk.

I could have lied about my STEP grade or you could lie about an AS grade that you weren't going to carry to A2 in the previous system.

Lying is a no-win situation.
Original post by Zacken

deep
Original post by Zacken
It's not really a flaw. They check with the exam boards (somewhere around results day in the year you attend), certainly not in all cases but enough for it to be a massive risk.

I could have lied about my STEP grade or you could lie about an AS grade that you weren't going to carry to A2 in the previous system.

That's true

Agreed
That's true

Agreed

I wouldn't worry about it too much though, I bombed my AS English the first time round (got a C in the coursework couldn't attend the exam and got a U overall in 2013) and I was really worried about declaring it...(particularly as I was applying for English)
Anyway I got an A in 2015 and it made no difference to my application!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know if its appropriate to email college admission tutors for questions
Original post by Astrtricks
Does anyone know if its appropriate to email college admission tutors for questions

Feel free to email the admissions department of your college, that's what they have their emails there for.
Original post by Astrtricks

yeah but its betta to PM the cat.
Original post by Duke Glacia
yeah but its betta to PM the cat.

The CAT won't know the intricacies of other colleges admissions systems and will probably end up telling you to email your relevant college anyway.

Latest

Trending

Trending