The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I was wondering if Cambridge allowed deferred entry? I'm considering doing a gap year scheme at Pinsent Masons(law firm) and starting uni in 2018. Also does anyone know if other unis like KCL,LSE etc.. allow deferred entry?
Reply 1381
Original post by teenhorrorstory
I was wondering if Cambridge allowed deferred entry? I'm considering doing a gap year scheme at Pinsent Masons(law firm) and starting uni in 2018. Also does anyone know if other unis like KCL,LSE etc.. allow deferred entry?

I think most unis allow deferred entry, and they're okay with it if you're doing something related to the subject.

Although IMO it's best to get through uni before it becomes even more expensive! At Cambridge terms are eight weeks long, so you have plenty of time to get internships during the holidays.
Original post by teenhorrorstory

Yes Cambridge does. It's not a problem (except potentially for Maths). I'd expect the others to be fine also.
Anyone considering Cambridge medicine? :smile:
Original post by rosemondtan
Anyone considering Cambridge medicine? :smile:

I am! :smile: Hopefully these exams go well so I can make a strong application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WhyAlwaysMe?!
I am! :smile: Hopefully these exams go well so I can make a strong application.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello! Are you sitting the AS exams this summer? :smile:
Hello! Are you sitting the AS exams this summer? :smile:

Ah yes, just revising for the next few weeks. I take it you're doing them too?
Ah yes, just revising for the next few weeks. I take it you're doing them too?

Yup! How's your revision going? Oh and I'm sitting for the Biology, Chemistry, Economics and Maths papers :smile: How about you?
Yup! How's your revision going? Oh and I'm sitting for the Biology, Chemistry, Economics and Maths papers :smile: How about you?

It's going well so far (bar a few procrastination days :/). I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths. And how's your revision going so far? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's going well so far (bar a few procrastination days :/). I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths. And how's your revision going so far? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh it's good! Trying to make notes and do past papers at the same time but it's quite taxing hahaha which exam boards are you under for each subjects? I'm doing edexcel Maths and economics and AQA biology and chemistry :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh it's good! Trying to make notes and do past papers at the same time but it's quite taxing hahaha which exam boards are you under for each subjects? I'm doing edexcel Maths and economics and AQA biology and chemistry :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

How are you finding the AQA biology past papers? I know the content really well for biology but the past paper questions are killing me- getting an A seems very distant for me right now!
Original post by Emilypickett
How are you finding the AQA biology past papers? I know the content really well for biology but the past paper questions are killing me- getting an A seems very distant for me right now!

What past papers are you working on? I think they're pretty tough too, and I've been struggling to get an A as well. :frown: I think the grade boundaries will be adjusted in the actual exam, so no worries :smile: What is your predicted grade?
What past papers are you working on? I think they're pretty tough too, and I've been struggling to get an A as well. :frown: I think the grade boundaries will be adjusted in the actual exam, so no worries :smile: What is your predicted grade?

I have just been picking random papers from the AQA website- hopefully I will have done them all before the exam! The school set my target grade as an A but we haven't been given a predicted grade. Yeah I hope the grade boundaries aren't too high- good luck in your exams :smile:
Hypothetical situation:

2 candidates:
Both 100% UMS in 3 Maths AS
Both got an A in a 3rd AS subject (ums not given due to going linear)
All other parts of application the same (for maths)

Only difference, Candidate 2 got a B in a non related AS subject

What would happen? Which one would they choose? Both?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Themathgeek
Hypothetical situation:

2 candidates:
Both 100% UMS in 3 Maths AS
Both got an A in a 3rd AS subject (ums not given due to going linear)
All other parts of application the same (for maths)

Only difference, Candidate 2 got a B in a non related AS subject

What would happen? Which one would they choose? Both?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doesn't happen and if it did there's still the interview to add information to their respective applications.

But, bottomline, the 4th (and potentially the 3rd) AS really is unimportant, especially for Maths.
Surely it could considering your interview score and ps score etc all come down to a number from 1 to 10?

Ahh thafd good, assurance needed asbI am almost failing one of my subjects xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Surely it could considering your interview score and ps score etc all come down to a number from 1 to 10?

Ahh thafd good, assurance needed asbI am almost failing one of my subjects xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

They don't score your PS and the interview score is not an integer.

They consider your (and everyone else's) overall application holistically. It's not down to a single UMS average, or a single interview score, or a single bit of super-curricular achievement. It's everything.

And weaknesses in irrelevant subjects are, as the description suggests, irrelevant. For maths all they are interested in is your academic ability to do good maths.

Good luck! :smile:
Original post by jneill
They don't score your PS and the interview score is not an integer.

They consider your (and everyone else's) overall application holistically. It's not down to a single UMS average, or a single interview score, or a single bit of super-curricular achievement. It's everything.

And weaknesses in irrelevant subjects are, as the description suggests, irrelevant. For maths all they are interested in is your academic ability to do good maths.

Good luck! :smile:

Cheers :biggrin:

In that case I am still undecided whether I am good enough and will enjoy a pure maths degree and has what it takes for STEP..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cheers :biggrin:

In that case I am still undecided whether I am good enough and will enjoy a pure maths degree and has what it takes for STEP..

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a whole different set of questions :wink:

You are unlikely to have what it takes for STEP now... but you may well do by this time next year :smile:

Don't worry about STEP for the moment. But do consider if Maths is the course for you, especially once your upcoming exams are out of the way. Many people, "even" at this stage change their minds multiple times about which course they want to do. And many will return to their original preference!

Do some masterclasses/tasters. Go to open days. Ask questions... :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
For Medicine (im sitting AS and will receive ums) what UMS marks should I be hoping for across Biology, Chemistry and Maths?
What does the average applicant have and what about those offered an interview/place?

Latest

Trending

Trending