The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by elliekmorgan62
Yeah I'll be dropping Geog this summer, so next year we'll be studying the same subjects! What kind of super-curricular stuff are you doing?

(I'm new to TSR so forgive me if I'm not replying properly, haven't got the grips of it yet!)

I'm doing some extra reading and hopefully a couple work experience placements (I couldn't find any local labs/hospital won't let me shadow, so related stuff like independent breweries checking content etc!) along with C3L6! :smile: I also went to the Chemistry Masterclass there in April! How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Paralove
Hey everyone - the new Alternative Prospectus is live! Written by the students, there are pages for all colleges and courses as well as other little bits, we hope you can get a better feel for the place with it!

www.applytocambridge.com

:biggrin:

PRSOM!

:bumps:
Original post by M14B
Looking good!

Thank you! That was some much needed reassurance haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Paralove
It was rather dire and ridiculously out of date. We had a lot of fun making it though - especially collating the photos (I personally love the group one for Newn, was so happy with how it turned out!).

I first saw the old one when my daughter was in the process of applying, which was in 2010/2011 and it was outdated already then. God knows how long it had been left like that.....

She was involved in updating her college's alternative prospectus by their JCR, so I know how much work (and fun) it involves. It started inher second year and didn't get completed until her third year.

Spoiler

I was wondering if anyone here had an offer to study maths at cambridge? If so, what sort of ums did you achieve?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by phoebeisgreat
I was wondering if anyone here had an offer to study maths at cambridge? If so, what sort of ums did you achieve?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Here's a chart showing the wide range of UMS that can get an offer. UMS averages are not that important...

Maths UMS - number of applicants.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi even i am applying for maths. Have you decided a college?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've got an offer to study maths at King's College Cambridge. I applied before sitting my AS's and didn't have any UMS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Applied twice got offers both times missed the offer once awaiting exams then results.
I got in AS 96% M+FM(6 modules overall) Physics 76% and Chemistry 51%.
Second time Maths and FM 12 modules(91% had an E in S2 otherwise widve been 95+) Physics 71% step:1,1,3 n aea: distinction.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anujsr
Hi even i am applying for maths. Have you decided a college?

Hi, I'm still doing my ASs so I don't even know whether I will apply to cambridge, but I was just wondering what sort of ums you would need to achieve to have a good chance of getting in. Have you decided your college?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
I've got an offer to study maths at King's College Cambridge. I applied before sitting my AS's and didn't have any UMS.

Wow. Well done

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Applied twice got offers both times missed the offer once awaiting exams then results.
I got in AS 96% M+FM(6 modules overall) Physics 76% and Chemistry 51%.
Second time Maths and FM 12 modules(91% had an E in S2 otherwise widve been 95+) Physics 71% step:1,1,3 n aea: distinction.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooh good luck. I hope you meet your offer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I'm still doing my ASs so I don't even know whether I will apply to cambridge, but I was just wondering what sort of ums you would need to achieve to have a good chance of getting in. Have you decided your college?

Posted from TSR Mobile

All I know is that UMS are just a part of the application process. They don't govern whether you get in or not. It's how you perform in the interview and any other tests that colleges give you and a lot of other things e.g personal statement that determines whether they give you an offer. As you can see UMS is just a part of the application process. Most probably you should have more than an 85% aggregate at AS. But still if that doesn't happen, still do apply you never no you may be made an offer. Good luck for the remaining AS exams. I have decided for trinity college.
@Zacken congratulations on your offer. I just wanted to know do King's make you do an admission test and if so, how is it compared to normal exams (AS and A level)
Original post by anujsr
@Zacken congratulations on your offer. I just wanted to know do King's make you do an admission test and if so, how is it compared to normal exams (AS and A level)

Yeah, you sit a test before your interview at King's. It's a very secretive test so I'm not going to say much about it, but I'd say some of the questions are STEP I level-ish and the others are slightly more standard but unstructured.
Original post by Zacken
Yeah, you sit a test before your interview at King's. It's a very secretive test so I'm not going to say much about it, but I'd say some of the questions are STEP I level-ish and the others are slightly more standard but unstructured.

Thank you
Original post by anujsr
... It's how you perform in the interview and any other tests that colleges give you and a lot of other things e.g personal statement that determines whether they give you an offer....

Just a small point, but the PS really doesn't matter that much, especially not for Maths :wink:
Original post by jneill
Just a small point, but the PS really doesn't matter that much, especially not for Maths :wink:

How much would you say the PS matters for, say, law? :biggrin:
Original post by Florescence
How much would you say the PS matters for, say, law? :biggrin:

A bit more than for maths, but honestly it's really all about your academic performance (including the Law Test, etc).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
A bit more than for maths, but honestly it's really all about your academic performance (including the Law Test, etc).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah ok, thanks! I was a bit worried because I haven't done as many super-curriculars as some people (especially people on TSR)... But I guess I should just focus on the interview and Law Test, as you said :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending