The Student Room Group

Just reading facebook makes people unhappy... is it the same for TSR?

Poll

How does TSR make you feel?

http://metro.co.uk/2015/02/25/people-who-just-read-facebook-and-dont-post-become-unhappy-5079420/

Just been reading about a study which showed that people who passively browse facebook and looking at people's profiles feel unhappier than those who actively engage on the site.

I suppose it makes sense as I guess instead of talking to friends you might be feeling jealous of someone's great day or photos of travelling but it got me thinking... is it the same with TSR?

Do you feel happier when you are talking on the site or just reading?

Vote in the poll to see how the rest of the community feels!

Scroll to see replies

The way the study was phrased is common sense though, anyone is generally happier to feel that they have the choice at least to actively engage and contribute in society, those merely observing on the side-lines are usually doing so from a place of insecurity and/or oppression
Big difference between Facebook and TSR, though. Mainly to do with the photos
Reply 3
It's easier to make people giggle on Facebook.

I don't post any pictures on TSR.
No
For one of my research projects I looked at how social media affects self-esteem. The result found that those who were heavily engaged in many platforms of social media (Facebook being the main one) had lower self-esteem than those who used other websites and had limited use and access to social media.

IMO, it could be. I mean, look at the university section. Many people post about their offers - not with the intention of bragging, just to say how their interview went and the results from this. I don't know about anyone else, but for me I'd feel pretty hurt and discouraged to see someone post about getting an offer from my top university choice for the same course, whilst I was rejected. In actual fact, reading peoples GCSE grades has made me feel crap before on this site, and I sat my GCSE's 4 years ago, but it still hurts comparing grades to my own, especially of those who ate applying for my uni choices. Always makes me question myself and ask "what's the point of applying if these people with better grades are, too?"
facebook definitely makes me happier. I feel closer to all my friends :smile:

If facebook or phones didn't exist I'd hardly be in contact with them.
Looking through Facebook posts makes you think other people's lives are better than yours.

TSR has the opposite effect.
Original post by TurboCretin
Looking through Facebook posts makes you think other people's lives are better than yours.

Depends - most of the people I went to school with have awful lives now. It's great.

Neither TSR nor FB make me particularly happy or unhappy. Both just...help pass the time.
Original post by Precious Illusions
Depends - most of the people I went to school with have awful lives now. It's great.

Neither TSR nor FB make me particularly happy or unhappy. Both just...help pass the time.

All my old friends have children at 23. I get giddy with schadenfreude every time I go on Facebook.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AntisthenesDogger
All my old friends have children at 23. I get giddy with schadenfreude every time I go on Facebook.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Two girls I went to school with have 3 kids now, a lot of others have at least 1 or 2 now. Some aren't even 21 yet. :indiff:
Reply 11
TSR doesn't do anything for me, it's nothing more than a substitute for a social life and it sucks at that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Two girls I went to school with have 3 kids now, a lot of others have at least 1 or 2 now. Some aren't even 21 yet. :indiff:

How the...

Posted from TSR Mobile
TSR is a bit too tame and/or irritating at times and Facebook is just a breeding ground for insecurities and mental illness to be honest.

A bit like people use Facebook then come on TSR relationships section to resolve the insecurities they picked up whilst browsing Facebook.

:rofl:

The 'cool' kids in my school who bullied people and were considered to be the popular now seem like complete wasters (something my mum always told me would happen but I didn't believe her!)

Nothing makes you feel old when people younger than you have children -.-
Original post by AntisthenesDogger

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had to go and google what 'schadenfreude' meant just now :biggrin: Good word.
Original post by Queen Cersei
:rofl:

The 'cool' kids in my school who bullied people and were considered to be the popular now seem like complete wasters (something my mum always told me would happen but I didn't believe her!)

:five: Same here. The prom queen at my school who was just awful has a kid now, has gained about 5 stone and still works at the local Peacocks. It's bad to gloat about but she was such a bitch at school :laugh:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Nothing makes you feel old when people younger than you have children -.-

Don't feel old, to have 3 kids at 21 is...a bit much IMO. I don't know how they cope.
:five: Same here. The prom queen at my school who was just awful has a kid now, has gained about 5 stone and still works at the local Peacocks. It's bad to gloat about but she was such a bitch at school :laugh:

what were they thinking PI ? you should have been Carrie the prom Queen :mob:

Quick Reply

Latest