The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Exeter vs. St. Andrew's for Economics

I am trying to decide between Exeter and St. Andrews for Economics (L100). Please tell me all the factors you can think of! Help!
That's an interesting comparison. Both great universities but neither of their Economics departments are significantly better.

St. Andrews as an overall brand is a little stronger and has higher research in Economics according to the 2014 REF but it's 4 years long and a very boring place to be.

Exeter is more exciting and many of the buildings are new and lovely. The social life is of a greater standard and its proximity to London may help in terms of networking which is important for some professions.

Any specific career plans?
(edited 9 years ago)
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Thanks. I would like to do a Master's after the undergrad. At the moment, I think I would focus on Economics rather than Finance. Beyond that, don't know!

My concern about Andrews is also that I need to spend four years rather than three, and I am not sure if it is worth that extra year.
Original post by oribaba
Thanks. I would like to do a Master's after the undergrad. At the moment, I think I would focus on Economics rather than Finance. Beyond that, don't know!

My concern about Andrews is also that I need to spend four years rather than three, and I am not sure if it is worth that extra year.

Why not visit and see what you think of each place? St Andrews is a pretty small, dull place to spend 4 years. Exeter is quiet but has more going on. Plus proximity to London can be helpful. The extra year has pluses and minuses. Think about how soon you want to start working; some people need four years to mature to that point, others three. You can also consider cost; accommodation in St Andrews is very expensive for the extra year.
Reply 4
I would have loved to visit, except that I am an international student from Hong Kong and it's a long way off!

Do the Andrews students cover more of the subject area since they are spending four years?
Reply 5
Maturity-wise, I think I should be okay because I have already taken a gap year and have been working.
Reply 6
Original post by oribaba

Do youhave to do the first year? as an English student, thought you couls start in year two.
Reply 7
I am an international student from Hong Kong. I don't know if I could start in the second year. Any views on this possibility?
Reply 8
Original post by oribaba
I am an international student from Hong Kong. I don't know if I could start in the second year. Any views on this possibility?

I think it applies only to some science courses
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/study/ug/apply/direct-entry/
Reply 9
Yes, you are right. Seems like I can't apply for direct second year entry :frown:

In terms of reputation in economics, is there any great difference between Exeter and St. Andrews?
Reply 10
Original post by oribaba
Yes, you are right. Seems like I can't apply for direct second year entry :frown:

In terms of reputation in economics, is there any great difference between Exeter and St. Andrews?

I don't know much about economics - the complete university guide rankings suggest they are around the same level. http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Economics

Might be a good idea to post the question in an economics forum if you haven't already.
(Edit: Ah, I see you have and not had much response).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
The reason for the extra year is that Scottish universities allow for more breadth: in the first two years you will be able to study up to three subjects, and it's entirely up to you beyond your department's basic requirements. So, in first year you would take economics 1 and 2, but for example you could also do Spanish and management. The Scottish system allows students to broaden their education, which some appreciate, whilst others prefer for the more concentrated English approach where you would solely study economics.

In my first year, I took chemistry, maths and biology, but my friend took physics, maths and medieval history; another took English lit, sustainable development and music. In the end, some students actually end up changing their degree path if they find something else they prefer!

Another aspect to consider is the student experience; Exeter is a big English city, whilst St Andrews is a small Scottish town. I don't know much about Exeter I'm afraid, but if you have any questions about St Andrews, please ask. I'm actually going back into first year as an economics student due to personal reasons meaning I've had to leave early this year, so I'll maybe see you in September!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending