The Student Room Group

Birmingham or Newcastle for Law?

I was wondering whether or not I should firm Birmingham or Newcastle for Law - I'm completely torn so was wondering if anyone could offer any insight into either uni? I feel like they are both on par.

I have a conditional offer from Birmingham of AAA and an unconditional offer from Newcastle if I firm them, but I really don't want that to sway my decision as there are many pros and cons to each uni.

I loved Birmingham Uni - I've visited twice and fell in love with the campus. It has everything I could ask for of a university and I adore the old-style buildings with a mix of modern and the general atmosphere of the campus. I felt somewhat 'at home' whilst I was there; something seemed to click for me and everything felt right about it. I loved the style of teaching, the opportunities, the culture etc and the fact that there is a train station on campus. Its a very well-established, red-brick uni with lots of prestige (and I did have to sit the LNAT to get in!) The city, despite its reputation, doesn't bother me either and I have family living 20 miles away (I also live nearer to Birmingham than I do to Newcastle, but its still 2 hours).

Newcastle was also great - staff, students, the culture etc but I feel like I'm being swayed just because of the great nightlife, and that's not a valid reason for me to choose a uni. I really want a campus university with lots of prestige and I feel that the modern Law school perhaps doesn't offer this? I'm not sure, but the Law school seemed a little isolated! Other than that, Newcastle is perfect so I really can't decide. It's also going to be cheaper than Birmingham.

In summary, I want to go to the university with the better degree that will open up more prospects for me when I graduate (but I still want to have the time of my life). I am definitely edged towards Birmingham BUT is there any reason I shouldn't firm it? Am I being silly turning down Newcastle's unconditional?

If anyone can offer insight into student life/years abroad at either, that would also be great! I'm a passionate dancer and I'd love to keep up my German language skills.

(I got AAAA at AS and I'm predicted A*AA if that's of any help).

Scroll to see replies

The idea that a university is more prestigious because you had to sit the LNAT is fallacious, in my view. I think Birmingham do it because they know it connotes prestige, so piggyback on the prestige of other universities. They take in below-average LNAT scores, so they do not really have a reason to have people sit them.

In my opinion, I prefer Newcastle's standing and I think it is slightly better than Birmingham. With regard to the buildings and teaching quality, I cannot speak.
(edited 9 years ago)
Personally I would go with Birmingham as they are a very established university with good academic staff and many opportunities for you to speak to law firms who visit and hold open days. The holdsworth club (law society) is top notch and is well worth joining because of the opportunities they provide. I also think whilst the city might not be as nightlife centric as Newcastle, it has a decent nightlife and you can go to broad street and other places. In my opinion Newcastle is so far removed from the rest of the country it will be harder to visit family and just generally be A pain when needing to travel to the midlands/south of the country. Whilst it isn't a main reason to disregard Newcastle, I think the logistics side of things in addition to birmighams superior academic reputation warrants it as a first choice, especially if you felt at home their!

Ps I may have some bias in my judgement due to firming Birmingham for law for 2015 entry! Good luck in deciding and I'm sure you will be successful and happy wherever you end up
Choose the University of Birmingham as it's a better university with the better campus.
Reply 4
Original post by callum_law
The idea that a university is more prestigious because you had to sit the LNAT is fallacious, in my view. I think Birmingham do it because they know it connotes prestige, so piggyback on the prestige of other universities. They take in below-average LNAT scores, so they do not really have a reason to have people sit them.

In my opinion, I prefer Newcastle's standing and I think it is slightly better than Birmingham. With regard to the buildings and teaching quality, I cannot speak.

I agree with you on the whole LNAT thing - you couldn't have said it better. I just feel like Birmingham offers a little more.
Reply 5
Original post by neal95
Personally I would go with Birmingham as they are a very established university with good academic staff and many opportunities for you to speak to law firms who visit and hold open days. The holdsworth club (law society) is top notch and is well worth joining because of the opportunities they provide. I also think whilst the city might not be as nightlife centric as Newcastle, it has a decent nightlife and you can go to broad street and other places. In my opinion Newcastle is so far removed from the rest of the country it will be harder to visit family and just generally be A pain when needing to travel to the midlands/south of the country. Whilst it isn't a main reason to disregard Newcastle, I think the logistics side of things in addition to birmighams superior academic reputation warrants it as a first choice, especially if you felt at home their!

Ps I may have some bias in my judgement due to firming Birmingham for law for 2015 entry! Good luck in deciding and I'm sure you will be successful and happy wherever you end up

This was helpful, thank you - might see you in September!
Original post by Tinkerem
This was helpful, thank you - might see you in September!

No problem :smile: yeah, if you decide to firm let us know haha! I firmed Birmingham with Sheffield as my insurance
Reply 7
Original post by neal95
No problem :smile: yeah, if you decide to firm let us know haha! I firmed Birmingham with Sheffield as my insurance
I shall do, it seems like I will be :smile: and I'm from Sheffield if you have any questions?
I would pick Birmingham over Newcastle if I were you, although I might be slightly biassed too because chances are I'm going to firm Birmingham for Law.
I shall do, it seems like I will be :smile: and I'm from Sheffield if you have any questions?

Nice one :smile: how did you find the applicant visit day? I will ask you if I need any more help, thanks :smile: thing is I really have my heart set in Birmingham, I loved the campus and the law school seems really good and well connected. Really want to start already
Reply 10
Original post by neal95
Nice one :smile: how did you find the applicant visit day? I will ask you if I need any more help, thanks :smile: thing is I really have my heart set in Birmingham, I loved the campus and the law school seems really good and well connected. Really want to start already

It was great, thanks! Yeah, I'm happy to answer questions about nightlife etc! And me too, I feel the exact same way. Where are you living - have you applied to halls yet?
It was great, thanks! Yeah, I'm happy to answer questions about nightlife etc! And me too, I feel the exact same way. Where are you living - have you applied to halls yet?

On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate the nightlife lol? I have applied to the vale, Shackleton to be precise? :smile: hbu? (If you have)
Reply 12
Original post by neal95
On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate the nightlife lol? I have applied to the vale, Shackleton to be precise? :smile: hbu? (If you have)

Well I've never had a night out elsewhere unfortunately, so this won't be a valid score but I'd say 8/10 :smile: loads of great bars and a good number of nightclubs all in the city center, decent prices too, great atmosphere - there's definitely something to suit everyone! And nice, I haven't applied yet but I'm going self-catered, shared bathrooms I think!
Well I've never had a night out elsewhere unfortunately, so this won't be a valid score but I'd say 8/10 :smile: loads of great bars and a good number of nightclubs all in the city center, decent prices too, great atmosphere - there's definitely something to suit everyone! And nice, I haven't applied yet but I'm going self-catered, shared bathrooms I think!

Thanks for the info it's quite helpful! I've never been out elsewhere either apart from where I live but I would probably rate it about a 6/10 as it is a small town with about 3 nightclubs but the amount of pubs is good lol.

I also applied for I think it was Victoria halls as one of my choices I don't mind sharing a bathroom or living there whatsoever but I quite liked the look of the vale and heard it's quite sociable so that would be my ideal choice. It's so expensive at Birmingham though!
Reply 14
Original post by neal95
Thanks for the info it's quite helpful! I've never been out elsewhere either apart from where I live but I would probably rate it about a 6/10 as it is a small town with about 3 nightclubs but the amount of pubs is good lol.

I also applied for I think it was Victoria halls as one of my choices I don't mind sharing a bathroom or living there whatsoever but I quite liked the look of the vale and heard it's quite sociable so that would be my ideal choice. It's so expensive at Birmingham though!

Ah no problem - if you want to know more about general life here just ask :smile: and Sheffield definitely has more clubs than that so it'll be a whole new experience (as will Birmingham!)

Sounds great and I agree with the expense issue! I was comparing it to Newcastle and I was fairly shocked, but it doesn't seem to be putting me off :smile:
Ah no problem - if you want to know more about general life here just ask :smile: and Sheffield definitely has more clubs than that so it'll be a whole new experience (as will Birmingham!)

Sounds great and I agree with the expense issue! I was comparing it to Newcastle and I was fairly shocked, but it doesn't seem to be putting me off :smile:

Yeah that's what I'm looking forward to about uni (in addition to the course, of course!) which is experiencing a whole new lifestyle and getting out of my comfort zone really! And same because I know I will enjoy the 3 years there, the railway station is pretty awesome on campus too lol
Reply 16
Original post by neal95
Yeah that's what I'm looking forward to about uni (in addition to the course, of course!) which is experiencing a whole new lifestyle and getting out of my comfort zone really! And same because I know I will enjoy the 3 years there, the railway station is pretty awesome on campus too lol

I couldn't agree more! Can just get a railcard and be home in 2 hours straight from campus and vice versa - it's brilliant! I love the nightclub on campus too, I think it's great!

I'm thinking of Maple Bank for accommodation - simple and cheap because my debts will be big enough already, haha!
I couldn't agree more! Can just get a railcard and be home in 2 hours straight from campus and vice versa - it's brilliant! I love the nightclub on campus too, I think it's great!

I'm thinking of Maple Bank for accommodation - simple and cheap because my debts will be big enough already, haha!

That's spot on really! I mean it's so central and well connected to the rest of the country and only about 30 minutes from home. Is that the one thy transforms from like a pub/restaurant thing into the club? That's pretty cool haha, and yeah maple bank was my third choice I think, I would also be happy there :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by neal95
That's spot on really! I mean it's so central and well connected to the rest of the country and only about 30 minutes from home. Is that the one thy transforms from like a pub/restaurant thing into the club? That's pretty cool haha, and yeah maple bank was my third choice I think, I would also be happy there :smile:

Exactly! :smile: yeah it is haha, I think its so convenient! Nice choice, I'd be happy at most of them too to tell the truth.
Reply 19
Original post by Buxtonwater
I would pick Birmingham over Newcastle if I were you, although I might be slightly biassed too because chances are I'm going to firm Birmingham for Law.

What were your other choices? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending