The Student Room Group

2.2 Masters Chances?

I'm currently studying an LLB in Malta and my average is shaping up to be a high 2.2 (68% since our 2.1 is 70%). However, I really want to complete an LLM in the UK, but most of the unis I'm interested in require a 2.1 (Southampton, Manchester, Bristol, Birmingham, Exeter, Nottingham, Newcastle, York, Leeds, QMUL and Sheffield).

Should I apply anyways? The conversion for the degree is that a Maltese 2.1 (70% or more) is equivalent to a UK 2.1 (which is a lower average). I really want to achieve this dream but I don't know whether I have a shot at all.

I would appreciate some insight as to whether I should apply and whether I'd actually have a shot at gaining a place as an international student.

Reply 1
Short answer = Yes apply

Longer answer = They always put minimum 2:1 but they will consider outside this. You will have to answer some more questions or undergo more interviews with the course leaders and maybe do a presentation or write a statement detailing why you would be suitable to go on the course even though you dont meet the entry requirements. All courses are different so I cant give you an exact answer. So just apply and they will guide you on what to do next. Good luck!
Original post by kelagiorgio
I'm currently studying an LLB in Malta and my average is shaping up to be a high 2.2 (68% since our 2.1 is 70%). However, I really want to complete an LLM in the UK, but most of the unis I'm interested in require a 2.1 (Southampton, Manchester, Bristol, Birmingham, Exeter, Nottingham, Newcastle, York, Leeds, QMUL and Sheffield).

Should I apply anyways? The conversion for the degree is that a Maltese 2.1 (70% or more) is equivalent to a UK 2.1 (which is a lower average). I really want to achieve this dream but I don't know whether I have a shot at all.

I would appreciate some insight as to whether I should apply and whether I'd actually have a shot at gaining a place as an international student.

Hey @kelagiorgio,

Its always worth asking the universities directly as to what they would consider from you - it might be that they can consider you with your predicted grades, but they also might have advice on what else they could look for in an application from you that you might not think to add. Masters applications are quite different from undergraduate ones, so its always worth getting in touch to see what they say!

All the best,
Becky
University of Salford Rep

Hi @kelagiorgio

Our Law LLM (Master of Laws) programme at Newcastle has typical entry requirements of A 2:1 honours degree, or international equivalent, in law or any other subject.

We will also consider applications on an individual basis if you have lower or non-standard qualifications or experience in professional legal practice.

To best advise on your eligibility, please contact our Admissions Secretary via [email protected].

I hope this helps :smile:
Lydia
As above, always best to contact the uni to check before applying if you don't meet the academic requirements.

Hi!

I've spoken to a member of our International Recruitment Team and they have the following response:

"As you are only marginally below a 2:1 we would encourage you to apply as we take into account a range of factors when assessing your application. Each is assessed on it's merits e.g. academic achievement, work experience and application statement. For postgraduate applications, students can apply to as many courses/universities as they wish often without an application fee."

I hope this helps!

Hazel :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending