The Student Room Group

statistics help, calculating confidence limits and performing a students t test

Hey, so I'm pretty awful at all thing maths and statistics. can't seem to get it through my thick skull.
Anywho I'm stuck on how to calculate confidence limits and performing a student's t test and to determine if the means are significantly different. I've been trying to look up what to do and watch tutorials but they all seem to pluck numbers out of thin air and it confuses me. University tutors aren't answering emails either and have been very unhelpful, which means I'm running out of time.

Could anyone please break it down for me on how to complete it?

Here is my data.

Oh also those bottom two cells to the left say average and standard deviation, accidentally cut them out when taking the picture.
have a look on youtube, there will be videos that show you how to di it excel.

hope that helps
Original post by Icecream1
have a look on youtube, there will be videos that show you how to di it excel.

hope that helps

Like I said I already tried looking on you tube, I've watched several tutorials now and they all seem to have numbers at the ready to use in calculation. I have no idea what numbers I'm supposed to use (as they used different ones)

It's really not easy for someone who has no idea.
When it comes to this it's like my IQ goes straight down to 70.

For me, absolutely none of that made sense.

That's why I asked for it to be broken down on how to do it with my data, so I can see what is being done.
bump.

Main problem I'm having right now, how to know how many degrees of freedom to use? nothing seems to tell me.
Original post by SophieSmall
bump.

Main problem I'm having right now, how to know how many degrees of freedom to use? nothing seems to tell me.

Are you doing a two-sample t test?

What test statistic are you using?
Reply 8
I heard statistic is really hard :colone:
Original post by rayquaza17
Are you doing a two-sample t test?

What test statistic are you using?

Two tailed t test yes

I don't know what you mean by the second question
Two tailed t test yes

I don't know what you mean by the second question

Does this look familiar at all:

If so, the degrees of freedom is n1+n2-2 (=13+13-2)

[t is called the test statistic, it's basically what you're testing using the tables :smile:]
(edited 9 years ago)
Does this look familiar at all:

If so, the degrees of freedom is n1+n2-2 (=13+13-2)

No not at all. Not been taught any of this stuff, so assume that I know literally nothing about statistics.
No not at all. Not been taught any of this stuff, so assume that I know literally nothing about statistics.

Have you done any similar examples like this? Or done any theory for two sample t-tests?

If you haven't, then this is what I have in my notes and I think this is what you're supposed to use:

Have you done any similar examples like this? Or done any theory for two sample t-tests?

If you haven't, then this is what I have in my notes and I think this is what you're supposed to use:

No.

And honestly that is all just complete gibberish to me, I don't understand any of it. Like the equations and stuff, no idea what they mean.
No.

And honestly that is all just complete gibberish to me, I don't understand any of it. Like the equations and stuff, no idea what they mean.

I think you may need to speak to your lecturers and ask them what they are expecting.

But to try and explain what I have posted:
s1=4.7
s2=20.3
x̄1=94.7
x̄2=40.4
n1=13
n2=13

You literally just put those numbers first into the formula for s first, and then put those numbers and the value for s into the value for t and test that on 24 degrees of freedom.
I think you may need to speak to your lecturers and ask them what they are expecting.

But to try and explain what I have posted:
s1=4.7
s2=20.3
x̄1=94.7
x̄2=40.4
n1=13
n2=13

You literally just put those numbers first into the formula for s first, and then put those numbers and the value for s into the value for t and test that on 24 degrees of freedom.

thanks for trying.

I've run out of time to get help from lecturers as it's due tomorrow. They don't reply to emails, they don't answer questions when you ask them. I think I'll just fail that question. I literally can't do it. I've had maths teachers tell me I'm stupid for over ten years. Sick of it.
thanks for trying.

I've run out of time to get help from lecturers as it's due tomorrow. They don't reply to emails, they don't answer questions when you ask them. I think I'll just fail that question. I literally can't do it. I've had maths teachers tell me I'm stupid for over ten years. Sick of it.

Considering you're doing something that I've been taught in the second year of my maths degree, you obviously aren't stupid!! Sorry I couldn't help anymore. :frown:
Considering you're doing something that I've been taught in the second year of my maths degree, you obviously aren't stupid!! Sorry I couldn't help anymore. :frown:

I really am otherwise maths teachers wouldn't have gotten angry with me constantly over the years for not understanding anything they say :/

It's okay, I appreciate the effort.

Quick Reply

Latest