The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial computer science admissions test

I am doing my imperial admissions test for computing on Monday and I want to find out more about what the test consists of. The email they sent me said that the test would test my logic and reasoning skills. There are no past papers or paper format information so I am desperate to just get an idea for what it is like and its format from anyone that as done it before.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Same, my test is on Monday too. I honesty have no idea what to expect.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
I have some info, I friend of mine said that his friend did it last year and apparently the test consists of 8 multiple choice questions that test your logic and reasoning skills.
Original post by Adithya09
I am doing my imperial admissions test for computing on Monday and I want to find out more about what the test consists of. The email they sent me said that the test would test my logic and reasoning skills. There are no past papers or paper format information so I am desperate to just get an idea for what it is like and its format from anyone that as done it before.

Original post by R5R
Same, my test is on Monday too. I honesty have no idea what to expect.

When did you apply?
How was the test?
Reply 5
I'm literally about to start it now
Reply 6
How did it go for everyone? I reckon I got around 6/8 but I heard a bunch of people are pretty confident that they got 8/8 which is kinda worrying
Reply 7
I got 3 very easy ones and the rest wer horrible. I probably only got either 5 or 6 put of 8
How much time after your application was sent did you pass the test? I submitted yesterday, when should I expect it to take place?
Reply 9
I sent off my application on the 27th of september. It depends on when you sent your application off. I think they first read your personal statement, look at your predicted grades and let you do the test if you're within a reasonable range of achieving what they expect you to achieve. I assume the next lot of admissions tests will be for the folks that apply by tomorrow, this will include yourself and itt will probably be sometime in the end of october or early November and might coincide with the oxbridge admissions tests. inperial have loads of interview dates throughout november to December so they would want to finish dealing with all the early deadline applicants around about the same time as oxbridge (january) so they can start focusing on the late deadlines. I know you didn't ask for all that but I just gave a whole timeline lol.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Adithya09
I sent off my application on the 27th of september. It depends on when you sent your application off. I think they first read your personal statement, look at your predicted grades and let you do the test if you're within a reasonable range of achieving what they expect you to achieve. I assume the next lot of admissions tests will be for the folks that apply by tomorrow, this will include yourself and itt will probably be sometime in the end of october or early November and might coincide with the oxbridge admissions tests. inperial have loads of interview dates throughout november to December so they would want to finish dealing with all the early deadline applicants around about the same time as oxbridge (january) so they can start focusing on the late deadlines. I know you didn't ask for all that but I just gave a whole timeline lol.

Avacadomanguo
Was it maths questions based on the A Level Maths Content or was it far harder?
Reply 12
it was AS level maths but you have to able to apply it it in extremely unfamiliar situations, much like the MAT. if you've been preparing for the MAT the maths questions should be doable. the programming questions depend on your level of programming ability. for beginner or new programmers you need to be able to grasp the info they give you on the codes very quickly and answer the questions. with a lot of programming experience these questions should not be too hard. in my opinion this admissions test is harder than oxford's MAT which I'm preparing for because the 45 minute time limit I thought really affected my performance and I could've done a lot better if it were a one hour test. But at the end of the day that's how you separate and filter put candidates, if I'm good enough I'll be called for an interview, if not it is what it is and I wish who ever got that interview instead of me the best of luck
Reply 13
Did you guys get an email after the test to confirm you completed it?
what would you say is worth going over in preparation for the test?
Reply 15
Yeah, I found it much difficult than MAT, I reckon I got 5/6 maybe. It is what is now.
Reply 16
Original post by ninja_uchiha
what would you say is worth going over in preparation for the test?

I would recommend not to, in my opinion it’s a waste of time, topics are basic yet questions are worded in a very complex way.
Original post by R5R
I would recommend not to, in my opinion it’s a waste of time, topics are basic yet questions are worded in a very complex way.

thanks, i thought so too because i have a lot of work so i probably won't get round to it
Guys i went over the time limit by a few seconds does that mean my application is not considered at all or does it mean theyll still have a look at it :frown:
Reply 19
I went over the time limit bu a few seconds too. I was watching it count down from 5 to 0 thinking it would automatically finish and submit the test but after 3 seconds I realised it didn't 😂😂. it probably doesnt matter I reckon it shows up that you went over the limit by a few seconds next to your grade when its assessed and if its only a few seconds we should be fine I think, and hope

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending