The Student Room Group

Nervous About Starting at Oxford (Computer Science)

I’m about to start my undergrad computer science degree at Oxford this October and I’ve been feeling really nervous. I don’t have much background in computer science (learnt some Python during sixth form, didn’t take a level computer science) and didn’t perform great in the MAT, which is why I’m confused as to how I even managed to secure a place. Does anyone have any advice at this stage to help me calm my nerves and maybe prepare a bit before actually starting the course? Thank you!!
Reply 1
Original post by fluffypoopies
I’m about to start my undergrad computer science degree at Oxford this October and I’ve been feeling really nervous. I don’t have much background in computer science (learnt some Python during sixth form, didn’t take a level computer science) and didn’t perform great in the MAT, which is why I’m confused as to how I even managed to secure a place. Does anyone have any advice at this stage to help me calm my nerves and maybe prepare a bit before actually starting the course? Thank you!!

University can be a nervous experience for some students. Remember that Oxford's admissions team admitted you because they saw potential in you. Oxford have a holistic approach to admissions. They consider your personal statement, your academic achievements, references, performance in interviews and your MAT score. Even if your MAT score wasn't perfect, they saw potential in your overall profile from your references to performance in interview. Based on your entire application, they gave you an offer. Secondly, MAT is a difficult test, so despite believing you did poorly, your score might have been competitive without realising. Just realise that Oxford picked you because they believe you have what it takes to succeed at Oxford, based on your entire application. So, don't discredit yourself based on one test.

Next, it seems you are experiencing imposter syndrome, which is the belief that you don't belong there, or you aren't good enough. This is very common, and it's important to talk about it with others, and seek support if needed. Discuss your feelings to your peers, as many will also be going through the same. Seek guidance from tutors or lecturers, who can provide perspective and advice.

Before you start, here is some advice:

Make sure your mathematics is refreshed. You will be using calculus, linear algebra, Discrete mathematics (such as proofs) and more, so make sure you don't forget those concepts.

Take a course on Coursera or edX to improve your programming, or try some code exercises on Codeacademy, You could practice coding using LeetCode, or HackerRank.

Try watching some online python videos, such as Corey Schafer's Python series (available here: Python Tutorials - YouTube)

Since you know some Python, try to focus on gaining a deeper understanding of the language. You could do that by reading some books on python, such as:

Python Crash Course by Eric Matthes

Fluent Python by Luciano Ramalho

Automate the Boring Stuff with Python by Al Sweigart

You could also find some books on the basics of data structures and algorithms, etc.

Once you're at Oxford university:

Engage with your peers. You will find that you will learn far better when you work and learn with your peers. They can help to understand hard topics.

If you find you are struggling, don't hesitate to contact tutors or lecturers. The longer you leave it, the harder it is to catch up.

Be open to receiving feedback. When you get your assignment or homework back, ask lots of questions and use it as a tool for improvement.

Finally, take everything one step at a time and remember that admissions selected you because they believe you will be successful at Oxford. You won't know everything at the start, and that's fine. What is important is the dedication to learn and grow.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Baleroc
University can be a nervous experience for some students. Remember that Oxford's admissions team admitted you because they saw potential in you. Oxford have a holistic approach to admissions. They consider your personal statement, your academic achievements, references, performance in interviews and your MAT score. Even if your MAT score wasn't perfect, they saw potential in your overall profile from your references to performance in interview. Based on your entire application, they gave you an offer. Secondly, MAT is a difficult test, so despite believing you did poorly, your score might have been competitive without realising. Just realise that Oxford picked you because they believe you have what it takes to succeed at Oxford, based on your entire application. So, don't discredit yourself based on one test.

Next, it seems you are experiencing imposter syndrome, which is the belief that you don't belong there, or you aren't good enough. This is very common, and it's important to talk about it with others, and seek support if needed. Discuss your feelings to your peers, as many will also be going through the same. Seek guidance from tutors or lecturers, who can provide perspective and advice.

Before you start, here is some advice:

Make sure your mathematics is refreshed. You will be using calculus, linear algebra, Discrete mathematics (such as proofs) and more, so make sure you don't forget those concepts.

Take a course on Coursera or edX to improve your programming, or try some code exercises on Codeacademy, You could practice coding using LeetCode, or HackerRank.

Try watching some online python videos, such as Corey Schafer's Python series (available here: Python Tutorials - YouTube)

Since you know some Python, try to focus on gaining a deeper understanding of the language. You could do that by reading some books on python, such as:

You could also find some books on the basics of data structures and algorithms, etc.

Once you're at Oxford university:

Engage with your peers. You will find that you will learn far better when you work and learn with your peers. They can help to understand hard topics.

If you find you are struggling, don't hesitate to contact tutors or lecturers. The longer you leave it, the harder it is to catch up.

Be open to receiving feedback. When you get your assignment or homework back, ask lots of questions and use it as a tool for improvement.

Finally, take everything one step at a time and remember that admissions selected you because they believe you will be successful at Oxford. You won't know everything at the start, and that's fine. What is important is the dedication to learn and grow.

Thank you so so much for putting in the effort to write such a detailed reply- I genuinely appreciate it a lot.
Hearing other incoming undergrads already confidently discuss advanced CS topics, while I feel like I just about have a grasp of the basics, has been really intimidating. Definitely fed into the feeling of inadequacy and self-doubt.
I will keep all your advice in mind and will try staying as open-minded as possible at this stage and once I actually start the course; thank you for the online courses and book recommendations too, I’ve noted them down :smile:
Once again, thank you for the reassuring words, it means a lot. I’m wishing you all the best on your current and future endeavours :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you so so much for putting in the effort to write such a detailed reply- I genuinely appreciate it a lot.
Hearing other incoming undergrads already confidently discuss advanced CS topics, while I feel like I just about have a grasp of the basics, has been really intimidating. Definitely fed into the feeling of inadequacy and self-doubt.
I will keep all your advice in mind and will try staying as open-minded as possible at this stage and once I actually start the course; thank you for the online courses and book recommendations too, I’ve noted them down :smile:
Once again, thank you for the reassuring words, it means a lot. I’m wishing you all the best on your current and future endeavours :smile:

Thank you for your kind words.

First, it is understandable that you feel intimidated when it seems like others have more experience or knowledge, but remember that everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses You will have skills and knowledge they won't have, which is equally as valuable. Furthermore, it is sometimes common that people who vocalise their knowledge and seem really confident, might not always be as knowledgeable as they appear; they might simply be trying to impress others.

Just always remember, whenever you feel that you aren't good enough or inadequate, you were admitted based on your potential Oxford believes you have. They didn't admit you purely based on knowledge or what someone knows, or what skills someone else possesses. They admit you based on whether they feel you will be successful within the Oxford environment - which they believe you will be.

Remember to enjoy the journey and learn as much as you can. I wish you well along your journey.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 4
@fluffypoopies Hi hi hi I'm a physicsman at LMH this year too!!!!! (I too suffer from a feeling of being super behind already T-T) You'll do great >.<

btw there's a fresher's blog competition here (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7389979) if you're interested [also check out mine!]
Reply 5
Original post by Baleroc

Few things I forgot to mention about these books:
First, there is a newer version of Fluent Python called Fluent Python: Clear, Concise, and Effective Programming.

Second, the two other books Python Crash Course by Eric Matthes and Automate the Boring Stuff with Python by Al Sweigart are beginner books. However, Fluent Python is designed for more experienced programmers. The expectation is to first use one of the other two books, then use Fluent Python: Clear, Concise, and Effective Programming as the last book.

Sorry about the confusion.
(edited 7 months ago)
Worth noting that you shouldn't worry too much about having a limited programming background - that's pretty normal for most CS freshers. It's also probably even less of an issue for Oxford compared to other unis as the Oxford course very much focuses on the mathematical and theoretical underpinnings first and programming is a secondary factor (to illustrate those concepts with). Remember a CS degree is not a degree in programming, and particularly at places like Oxford programming is a much smaller part of the course.

In terms of being selected for the course, remember that the admissions tutors have a lot of experience in knowing which kinds of students can and do succeed on the course and making offers for them. So try and avoid giving in to the impostor syndrome - you're definitely not there due to a mistake or something and they definitely think you can do well on the course (and have a lot more experience in gauging that than you do :wink:).

Unless your college has sent you any pre-reading or exercises to do before going up, I would suggest not worrying too much about it and trying to enjoy the free time while you have it!
Original post by Baleroc
Thank you for your kind words.

First, it is understandable that you feel intimidated when it seems like others have more experience or knowledge, but remember that everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses You will have skills and knowledge they won't have, which is equally as valuable. Furthermore, it is sometimes common that people who vocalise their knowledge and seem really confident, might not always be as knowledgeable as they appear; they might simply be trying to impress others.

Just always remember, whenever you feel that you aren't good enough or inadequate, you were admitted based on your potential Oxford believes you have. They didn't admit you purely based on knowledge or what someone knows, or what skills someone else possesses. They admit you based on whether they feel you will be successful within the Oxford environment - which they believe you will be.

Remember to enjoy the journey and learn as much as you can. I wish you well along your journey.

Thank you again, this is one of the most supportive messages I’ve received! :smile: I will make sure to look back on what you’ve said whenever I feel the self-doubt creeping in, thank you for helping me see it from a different perspective.
Original post by PAT_22
@fluffypoopies Hi hi hi I'm a physicsman at LMH this year too!!!!! (I too suffer from a feeling of being super behind already T-T) You'll do great >.<

btw there's a fresher's blog competition here (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7389979) if you're interested [also check out mine!

Aw thank you!! It’s reassuring to find others who feel similar to me because it has been feeling like everyone I’ve encountered is super ahead/ super confident already (even though I was aware that there are of course other apprehensive students starting, just haven't been able to meet any yet!). You’ll be great too :smile: I’ll check your blog out now!
Original post by Baleroc
Few things I forgot to mention about these books:
First, there is a newer version of Fluent Python called Fluent Python: Clear, Concise, and Effective Programming.

Second, the two other books Python Crash Course by Eric Matthes and Automate the Boring Stuff with Python by Al Sweigart are beginner books. However, Fluent Python is designed for more experienced programmers. The expectation is to first use one of the other two books, then use Fluent Python: Clear, Concise, and Effective Programming as the last book.

Sorry about the confusion.

Thank you for this clarification! I’ve downloaded online versions of all three books right now and will start with the crashcourse today first!
Original post by artful_lounger
Worth noting that you shouldn't worry too much about having a limited programming background - that's pretty normal for most CS freshers. It's also probably even less of an issue for Oxford compared to other unis as the Oxford course very much focuses on the mathematical and theoretical underpinnings first and programming is a secondary factor (to illustrate those concepts with). Remember a CS degree is not a degree in programming, and particularly at places like Oxford programming is a much smaller part of the course.

In terms of being selected for the course, remember that the admissions tutors have a lot of experience in knowing which kinds of students can and do succeed on the course and making offers for them. So try and avoid giving in to the impostor syndrome - you're definitely not there due to a mistake or something and they definitely think you can do well on the course (and have a lot more experience in gauging that than you do :wink:).

Unless your college has sent you any pre-reading or exercises to do before going up, I would suggest not worrying too much about it and trying to enjoy the free time while you have it!

Thank you- I’ll bear that in mind :smile: Hopefully once I arrive I’ll meet more people like myself and the transition will start to feel a bit less scary!
Reply 11
Aw thank you!! It’s reassuring to find others who feel similar to me because it has been feeling like everyone I’ve encountered is super ahead/ super confident already (even though I was aware that there are of course other apprehensive students starting, just haven't been able to meet any yet!). You’ll be great too :smile: I’ll check your blog out now!

lmfao from my experience, the genuinely super ahead ones tend to be the ones that don't give any indication that they are super ahead/confident! 😭
Reply 12
Hii!! How are you doing so far 👀 hope you're having a good week 5!!
Original post by PAT_22
Hii!! How are you doing so far 👀 hope you're having a good week 5!!

Terrible lol i’m struggling so much. Hows it going for you?
Reply 14
Terrible lol i’m struggling so much. Hows it going for you?

Got lucky the me 3 weeks ago did most of the problem sets required early so I’m not dying from overwork…

Doing ok so far, hope you have people to ask for help from and have activities to help you destress !!!

Get sleep! Eat well and stuff 🙏🏼 (Me too actually…)
Original post by PAT_22
Got lucky the me 3 weeks ago did most of the problem sets required early so I’m not dying from overwork…

Doing ok so far, hope you have people to ask for help from and have activities to help you destress !!!

Get sleep! Eat well and stuff 🙏🏼 (Me too actually…)

Yesss thank you!! Honestly its my fault because I’ve been doing a lot of society/socials related stuff instead of actually focussing on my degree so I guess at least the stress and accumulated workload feels somewhat worth it since I’ve got to have a lot of fun? At least that’s how I’m trying to reassure myself lol

Your level of organisation and time management is what I aspire towards🙏 I’m glad to hear things are going well for you- good luck with the rest of the term and keep it uppp! :smile:
Reply 16
Nar, I haven’t had a life in a while, the first 3 weeks was such a grind and now I’m just burnt out a little

I probably should chill a little bit 😭

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending