The Student Room Group

Applying for medicine

I've been looking into it and I came across this on a few websites:

'Due to the competitive nature of applying for the course most candidates selected for interview usually far exceed our minimum requirements.'

I was wondering what exactly exceed the minimum requirements are. Also for those who already did an interview for medicine could you describe what it was like? and your grades and subjects studied during A-levels if that is ok with you.
Original post by Sesshomaru24U
I've been looking into it and I came across this on a few websites:

'Due to the competitive nature of applying for the course most candidates selected for interview usually far exceed our minimum requirements.'

I was wondering what exactly exceed the minimum requirements are.

So, say if a Medical School has a minimum requirement of 15/18 points in your top 9 GCSE where an A*/A = 2 points and a B = 1 point (as Liverpool do :tongue:), most people selected for interview would have higher than 15 points.

It can vary between Medical Schools but for some, just as long as you meet the minimum requirements for a particular areas, they won't look at that aspect of the application in greater depth. For example, St George's and Plymouth have minimum GCSE/A-Level/UKCAT scores that they require and as long as you meet those, they will give you an interview.

Also for those who already did an interview for medicine could you describe what it was like? and your grades and subjects studied during A-levels if that is ok with you.

The prospect of going to an interview is obviously daunting beforehand but then when it started and I calmed down a bit, I didn't think they were that scary. Most interviews I had were nice and tried to put me at ease which was fine. Just do a bit of prep beforehand, try to stay calm and it should be fine. I stuttered and stammered throughout my interviews out of nerves but I think they expect you to be nervous so try not to let that put you off too much.

You can find people's (and my) stats on this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=865511

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending