The Student Room Group

Durham or Leeds for Medicine?

Hello everyone!

I've got two offers for Medicine: Leeds and Durham. I don't know which one to choose because I really like them both! So I just please want some opinions and advice in order to help me make the right decision!

Thanks! :smile:

PS. After two years at Durham Medical School, you have to go to Newcastle University Medical School where you will graduate which some may see as a positive whilst some may see that as a downside!
How do the courses compare (lectures/PBL, early clinical contact, year size, BSc opportunities etc.)?

If they're pretty similar, then really it comes down to where you'd like to live for 5-6 years. Did you like Queen's Campus and do you mind being in Stockton for the first 2 years? Likewise do you like Leeds as a city, and would you rather be jollying around West Yorkshire vs. Tyneside after the pre-clinical years?
Reply 2
Original post by Blatant Troll
How do the courses compare (lectures/PBL, early clinical contact, year size, BSc opportunities etc.)?

If they're pretty similar, then really it comes down to where you'd like to live for 5-6 years. Did you like Queen's Campus and do you mind being in Stockton for the first 2 years? Likewise do you like Leeds as a city, and would you rather be jollying around West Yorkshire vs. Tyneside after the pre-clinical years?

Thanks! I think I'm going to try and mentally ask these to myself and see which one suits me best! Also, do you think it will be hard when transitioning from Durham to Newcastle? :smile:
I think that's the way to go! Otherwise you'll get people selling it either way, which isn't all that useful.

Your last question is a fair one: that doesn't seem to be a problem (in my n=1, second-hand experience). It seems to be more of a problem for the Newcastle students coming the other way for the year.
I'm a fourth year who just transitioned this year. I think it's very easy to go from Stockton to Newcastle, it's the other way round that's hard (they aren't involved with Durham, they don't have the societies down there etc.)

Getting involved with everything in Newcastle Uni is really easy, and in my opinion all the newcastlers have been really friendly. Newcastle itself is a bit more expensive and the first few weeks we all had very poor impulse control but it's ok. It's fun to have somewhere to explore again after a few years, and the move was one of the things that attracted me to Durham/Newcastle.
Reply 5
Original post by Blorcyn
I'm a fourth year who just transitioned this year. I think it's very easy to go from Stockton to Newcastle, it's the other way round that's hard (they aren't involved with Durham, they don't have the societies down there etc.)

Getting involved with everything in Newcastle Uni is really easy, and in my opinion all the newcastlers have been really friendly. Newcastle itself is a bit more expensive and the first few weeks we all had very poor impulse control but it's ok. It's fun to have somewhere to explore again after a few years, and the move was one of the things that attracted me to Durham/Newcastle.

Hey! Thanks for your reply! I suppose it depends if you're the kind of person who would like the change and a different environment. Also, which college were you in? Snow or Stevenson? :smile:
Original post by 08rgill
Hey! Thanks for your reply! I suppose it depends if you're the kind of person who would like the change and a different environment. Also, which college were you in? Snow or Stevenson? :smile:

No problem. Stevenson. Pm me if you have any more questions specifically, I'll try not to over-sell it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending