The Student Room Group

Can i get my ears pinned back through NHS?

hey everyone
I am a 19 year old student, (turned 19 a few months ago) and I am still in full time education. i have not really ever been bullied or suffered stress due to my ears, but its just something that bothers me.

I am from a low income family, and we already get benefits etc. what i wanted to ask is that if I use the 'psychological stress' excuse and say that it is affecting me as a person and so on, can i get my ears pinned back for free through NHS?

only concern is that I am 19. is that too old ?

thanks
It's very unlikely that the NHS will fund this as it's a cosmetic procedure. You can't just turn up and say "I don't like the way my ears look" and they'll do it for you. If it really bothers you that much, save up once you've finished uni/college and have it done privately. I didn't like the way my nose looked when I was younger but I had to pay to have it reshaped.
There's a possibility that you could get it done if you tried that tack, yes.

It'd be a pretty appalling thing to do though, assuming (as your post implies) that you're not actually suffering psychological distress.
Original post by tnfr123
hey everyone
I am a 19 year old student, (turned 19 a few months ago) and I am still in full time education. i have not really ever been bullied or suffered stress due to my ears, but its just something that bothers me.

I am from a low income family, and we already get benefits etc. what i wanted to ask is that if I use the 'psychological stress' excuse and say that it is affecting me as a person and so on, can i get my ears pinned back for free through NHS?

thanks

You could get it done on the NHS yrs ago, but not anymore. Although I'm sure you can get it on the NHS if you're a child and being bullied at school.
Other than that, you'll have to get it done privately, and it costs around £4000~
Original post by tnfr123
hey everyone

thanks

Yes

It can cause mental distress and insecurity and self doubt and social anxiety

I really do think there is legitimate reasoning for the NHS to do it
You could try and use the excuse of psychological stress yeah, but why should the taxpayers fund your surgery because you don't like the way you look?
Reply 6
If you manage to pull that excuse then the NHS has really gone to pot. You said you are not bullied about them and you said you haven't suffered any stress so you're lying to cheat the NHS. Really, just suck it up and stop being such a whimp, I have a big forehead due to a high hairline, I have been bullied about it but I'm not running to the NHS to beg to have hair implants.
Reply 7
Original post by tnfr123
hey everyone

thanks

If you havent really been bullied or stressed,are you actually sure its an issue?

Has anyone ever commented? Could you get an honest opinion from friends?

You could go the NHS route possibly,,otherwise get the money from somewhere and get it done asap if it is identified as an issue.

Quick Reply

Latest