The Student Room Group

Getting my NMC Pin with previous conviction

Hi everyone, I wonder if anyone has any previous experiences of the above. I have just graduated from my children and young peoples nursing degree, I have a job lined up (I start this week!), and have been invited by the NMC to register, which I have just done. I have a drink driving conviction from 10.5 years ago (annoyingly, in May it gets filtered) but obviously I have declared it now. I have always been open and honest about it - and of course the uni have always been aware, and my new job. My application for uni had to go to the fitness to practise panel before I could even be offered an interview, and they said this would not have any bearing on it. Now as it's been sent to the registration investigations team, I am freaking out. Don't get me wrong, I knew they would have to look into it, but I'm very worried about the outcome! I also declared a long-term health condition (related to the offence many years ago, which I have also declared), so I guess they will also be looking into this and making sure I declared it on application to university (I have). I filled in the reflective statement part that said it was optional, and cited that I knew it was unacceptable, that I had learnt from it and all the positive things I had achieved since then, along with my circumstances at the time of the offence. I also said I had always been open and honest and haven't/would never make the same mistake again. I really hope after many years of studying this won't hold me back. Does anyone have any similar stories? Do you think i'll be ok? The email today said they would look into it within 5 working days. I guess they will also take into account the length of time that has passed and the circumstances. Everyone at my uni seems to be getting their pins within 2 or so days at the moment, so I'm hoping this means the NMC isn't super busy at present and I won't be in limbo for long.
Reply 1
Original post by chughes87
Hi everyone, I wonder if anyone has any previous experiences of the above. I have just graduated from my children and young peoples nursing degree, I have a job lined up (I start this week!), and have been invited by the NMC to register, which I have just done. I have a drink driving conviction from 10.5 years ago (annoyingly, in May it gets filtered) but obviously I have declared it now. I have always been open and honest about it - and of course the uni have always been aware, and my new job. My application for uni had to go to the fitness to practise panel before I could even be offered an interview, and they said this would not have any bearing on it. Now as it's been sent to the registration investigations team, I am freaking out. Don't get me wrong, I knew they would have to look into it, but I'm very worried about the outcome! I also declared a long-term health condition (related to the offence many years ago, which I have also declared), so I guess they will also be looking into this and making sure I declared it on application to university (I have). I filled in the reflective statement part that said it was optional, and cited that I knew it was unacceptable, that I had learnt from it and all the positive things I had achieved since then, along with my circumstances at the time of the offence. I also said I had always been open and honest and haven't/would never make the same mistake again. I really hope after many years of studying this won't hold me back. Does anyone have any similar stories? Do you think i'll be ok? The email today said they would look into it within 5 working days. I guess they will also take into account the length of time that has passed and the circumstances. Everyone at my uni seems to be getting their pins within 2 or so days at the moment, so I'm hoping this means the NMC isn't super busy at present and I won't be in limbo for long.

This is from the NMC code of practice.....which hopefully you have read.

Drink-driving offences
Drink-driving offences will only call into question a nurse, midwife or nursing associate’s fitness to practise if:

the offence occurred either in the course of a nurse, midwife or nursing associate’s professional duties, driving to or from those duties, or during on-call or standby arrangements
there are aggravating circumstances connected with the offence, or
it is a repeat offence.
If a nurse, midwife or nursing associate has been convicted of a drink-driving offence, decision makers should consider whether we need to explore any underlying alcohol issues that indicate the nurse, midwife or nursing associate’s fitness to practise is impaired because of their health.

In such cases the nurse, midwife or nursing associate’s employer, general practitioner or occupational health department should be contacted for additional information.

They will look at this obviously like you have said.

I won't think that they will for any reason not issue you with your nursing registration as it been over 10 years ago this happened.

They may look at it if your job depends on you driving around to clients home's ( community nursing) incase they think you will still drink and drive or something else.

So you declare it to the university at the beginning of your degree and therefore they should have notified NMC about this then so it should be on record. If they weren't happy with you about it at the time you started your university degree then they should have said something to you but looks like they never which means everything was fine with them.
Obviously now you have qualified the NMC unfortunately have the final say on this but don't worry about it as you'll be fine.

They will take longer than other applications due to the investigation for your previous convictions okay.

Don't worry as it is standard practice for NMC to look into it again.

Unfortunately you can't start your job that you are supposed to start until you receive the green light from the NMC.

Good luck with your children nursing career.

NHS registered midwife
Reply 2
you will be fine. unlike one of ours that got dunk crashed her car and then said there was a bomb in it. she got stuck off. your driving offence was not repeated or aggravated.relax and welcome to nursing. obviously dont repeat it again that would not be good.
Reply 3
Original post by chughes87

Hello, I just want to ask you if you have received your pin. I am in a similar situation but I am very anxious as my cohort are receiving their pin one after the other.
Reply 4
Original post by Subisubi22
Hello, I just want to ask you if you have received your pin. I am in a similar situation but I am very anxious as my cohort are receiving their pin one after the other.
Hi sent you an massage.
Kindly check you inbox...Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending