The Student Room Group

Hay fever

During exam season my hayfever gets really bad and my nose and eyes itch, along with other unpleasant symptoms which really make me uncomfortable. I take over the counter medication but it doesn't really do much, is there anything else I can do to alleviate the symptoms?
Hi there, sorry to hear about you struggling with hayfever, especially just before exams!! I also suffer from it, so I feel your pain!

You could try some honey - locally produced from your area, so it contains local pollen from your area (what you're allergic to). your body will get used to the pollen and so it won't affect you symptom-wise as much.

Also eating foods high in Vitamin C such as oranges & lemons can help as they are known to be a natural anti-histamine :smile:

To help with nose itching, sounds strange but get some vaseline and just rub it on the inside of your nostrils, to coat the inside - that way pollen can't stick to it, and won't make your nose itch. It sure feels funny at first, but genuinely does help!

Hope some of these help, and good luck in your exams!!:biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by rachaelftw
Hi there, sorry to hear about you struggling with hayfever, especially just before exams!! I also suffer from it, so I feel your pain!

You could try some honey - locally produced from your area, so it contains local pollen from your area (what you're allergic to). your body will get used to the pollen and so it won't affect you symptom-wise as much.

Also eating foods high in Vitamin C such as oranges & lemons can help as they are known to be a natural anti-histamine :smile:

To help with nose itching, sounds strange but get some vaseline and just rub it on the inside of your nostrils, to coat the inside - that way pollen can't stick to it, and won't make your nose itch. It sure feels funny at first, but genuinely does help!

Hope some of these help, and good luck in your exams!!:biggrin::biggrin:

I think ill start drinking lemon water with honey, and ill try the vaseline thing too, thanks:tongue:
Original post by corey7695
I think ill start drinking lemon water with honey, and ill try the vaseline thing too, thanks:tongue:

No problem! Hopefully it'll help ^_^
I am predicting this will be an issue for me soon as well. The local honey has been mentioned but I have never heard of the vaseline thing.

I normally get eye drops, nasal sprays AND oral tablets just to make life more bearable. It works well for me but there will always be that one day where it seems nothing has worked and you want to tear your eyes out.
Reply 5
Original post by BasicMistake
I am predicting this will be an issue for me soon as well. The local honey has been mentioned but I have never heard of the vaseline thing.

I normally get eye drops, nasal sprays AND oral tablets just to make life more bearable. It works well for me but there will always be that one day where it seems nothing has worked and you want to tear your eyes out.

yeah happens all the time, ill be fine up to when my exam starts, then bam, my nose starts running uncontrollably...
Original post by corey7695
During exam season my hayfever gets really bad and my nose and eyes itch, along with other unpleasant symptoms which really make me uncomfortable. I take over the counter medication but it doesn't really do much, is there anything else I can do to alleviate the symptoms?

Have you tried everything over the counter? Go and speak to your local pharmacist and see if they can recommend anything stronger. If they can't, they'll refer you to your GP who can write a prescription for something stronger if necessary.
Hayfever is terrible!
Ugh I hate hay fever and no one else understands whilst they lie on the grass unaffected. Take antihistamines. You might feel more tired but it's worth it
Reply 9
Take the over the counter tablets regularly, every morning through the season, not just when you start to get symptoms. Use eye drops and a nasal spray like beconase/pirinase on top if necessary.

Wash your face when you come in from outside and before bed at night - it'll help get rid of any pollen stuck to it. And if you're really struggling, see your GP, they can prescribe stronger stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest