The Student Room Group

Is jealousy logical

I am jealous of only one person. And that person is pretty, has a husband with a reasonable income and a lovely family. But I have friends who are prettier than that girl, are richer, have a better job and have a closer relationship with their family.

I am not jealous in a nasty way. I don't even speak to her anymore and my only information is from facebook (which I know portrays only the good and yhe reality is often different). I just kind of wish I was her.

I often wonder why I'm jealous and it does seem illogical. i have friends who I don't feel any jealousy towards that have so much more.

Do you feel jealous of anyone? Is jealousy logical?

I actually have a lot and many people tell me they are jealous of me. Which makes me laugh.
Reply 1
Well feeling usually is illogical; logic just dictates if something is true or false so its a bit of an illogical thing to say, or thats what someone with autism and takes everything literally would say anyway. What you actually mean is if it is foolish; now might I ask does being jealous make you feel good? I doubt it, so yes it is foolish.
of course it's logical - it's logical to want more things because more things makes us happy
Yes but it's also silly
Original post by whorace
Well feeling usually is illogical; logic just dictates if something is true or false so its a bit of an illogical thing to say, or thats what someone with autism and takes everything literally would say anyway. What you actually mean is if it is foolish; now might I ask does being jealous make you feel good? I doubt it, so yes it is foolish.

Agree with bold bit. Logic doesn't necessitate any emotion. Neither does it even necessitate happiness as an end to be achieved. I'm not sure why jealousy would make someone feel good though lol, isn't it a negative feeling by nature?

Either way, I wouldn't say jealousy is 'foolish', who gets to dictate which feeling is 'right', given any situation? Feel whatever you wish to, OP. Life is unfair, and you're entitled to be angry at that fact.
Reply 5
Original post by Amused Nihilist
Agree with bold bit. Logic doesn't necessitate any emotion. Neither does it even necessitate happiness as an end to be achieved. I'm not sure why jealousy would make someone feel good though lol, isn't it a negative feeling by nature?

Either way, I wouldn't say jealousy is 'foolish', who gets to dictate which feeling is 'right', given any situation? Feel whatever you wish to, OP. Life is unfair, and you're entitled to be angry at that fact.

That was the point of the rhetorical question. Everyone values things differently, some value peace, some value war. Most of us say we value happiness, and jealousy does not make us happy, so it seems foolish.
It is things like this that create low self esteem.

Why would you be jealous over this? smh

:rolleyes:
I wouldn't say that jealousy is logical. However, it may motivate you to achieve.
Yeah, I'd say it's logical. Doesn't mean it's good though.

But if Spock can be jealous of Carol Marcus then you can be jealous of friends. Still isn't a good idea though.
Reply 9
human beings aren't rational. it's normal, i don't see the issue.

Quick Reply

Latest