The Student Room Group

Can this be jealousy?

Let me give an example. Lets call them Alice and Harry. Alice asks Harry out and he rejects her and he says to her 'you're objectively good looking but not my type and I don't find you attractive' and she keeps repeatedly asking him what he thinks of her looks and slowly there are more negative comments. The next time she asks he says 'you're quite good looking but when you speak you look worse, don't turn to the side your front profile looks better', they discuss looks later on more and he says you don't have a kind face and I am attracted to kind approachable faces. Alice feels theres alot of contradictions so she messages him later and confronts him about why hes contradicting what he thinks about her looks and he says I don't know you well enough to know if you want me to be brutally honest but in summary if you like...

He then says you have a model look but you have too many harsh features so it is hard to objectively place you, I can understand if someone rated you a 3 or 4 but also an 8 or 9, your upper lip protrudes too much, your chin sticks out in the side profile, your nose is too large. You have a polarising face etc

He goes into alot of specific detail

My question is, is there a possibility he may have been jealous or negging her since I dont think jealousy works in that way as in if he was jealous wouldn't he have been mean to her looks right from the start? Do you think its pretty obvious he was being honest and didn't have any ill intent. Obvs you don't know the reason for a fact but all I want to know if jealousy a possible reason in this context
Original post by Anonymous #1
Let me give an example. Lets call them Alice and Harry. Alice asks Harry out and he rejects her and he says to her 'you're objectively good looking but not my type and I don't find you attractive' and she keeps repeatedly asking him what he thinks of her looks and slowly there are more negative comments. The next time she asks he says 'you're quite good looking but when you speak you look worse, don't turn to the side your front profile looks better', they discuss looks later on more and he says you don't have a kind face and I am attracted to kind approachable faces. Alice feels theres alot of contradictions so she messages him later and confronts him about why hes contradicting what he thinks about her looks and he says I don't know you well enough to know if you want me to be brutally honest but in summary if you like...

He then says you have a model look but you have too many harsh features so it is hard to objectively place you, I can understand if someone rated you a 3 or 4 but also an 8 or 9, your upper lip protrudes too much, your chin sticks out in the side profile, your nose is too large. You have a polarising face etc

He goes into alot of specific detail

My question is, is there a possibility he may have been jealous or negging her since I dont think jealousy works in that way as in if he was jealous wouldn't he have been mean to her looks right from the start? Do you think its pretty obvious he was being honest and didn't have any ill intent. Obvs you don't know the reason for a fact but all I want to know if jealousy a possible reason in this context

Why would he be jealous? I don't get it, is there a third party that makes Harry jealous? Or does he want to look like Alice?
By the sound of it, he doesn't seem jealous, more angry and annoyed. If someone kept asking me if they were good looking, i'm going to get fed up and annoyed at them, potentially saying bad stuff. He was nice at the start because he didn't want to appear as rude. Alice seems hella annoying ngl
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #2
Why would he be jealous? I don't get it, is there a third party that makes Harry jealous? Or does he want to look like Alice?
By the sound of it, he doesn't seem jealous, more angry and annoyed. If someone kept asking me if they were good looking, i'm going to get fed up and annoyed at them, potentially saying bad stuff. He was nice at the start because he didn't want to appear as rude. Alice seems hella annoying ngl

I should have mentioned, they are both narcissistic, both models and Harry would make comments like 'I looked for competition in my course and there was none' so potentially he could have been jealous Alice is better looking.

When you say he was probably angry and annoyed so said bad stuff, do you think he meant the bad stuff and thought okay this girl is pestering me let me just be honest to her or just said it to shut her up and didnt mean what he said?
Original post by Anonymous #1
I should have mentioned, they are both narcissistic, both models and Harry would make comments like 'I looked for competition in my course and there was none' so potentially he could have been jealous Alice is better looking.

When you say he was probably angry and annoyed so said bad stuff, do you think he meant the bad stuff and thought okay this girl is pestering me let me just be honest to her or just said it to shut her up and didnt mean what he said?

are you sure when he said "i looked for competition in my course and there was none" wasn't in terms of that he thinks he's the best out of them all so he doesn't see any of them as a threat to him? Seeing as he's narcissistic, this seems more likely.
At the beginning he said "you're objectively good looking but not my type and I don't find you attractive" but alice kept pestering him so i think its a bit of both, he's being honest in a ruder way to make her shut up.
Whether or not he means it is a different story because it would depend on how close they are, what sort of relationship they have, the tone he says it in etc. But again, as he's narcissistic, i wouldn't be surprised if he meant it
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous #2
are you sure when he said "i looked for competition in my course and there was none" wasn't in terms of that he thinks he's the best out of them all so he doesn't see any of them as a threat to him? Seeing as he's narcissistic, this seems more likely.
At the beginning he said "you're objectively good looking but not my type and I don't find you attractive" but alice kept pestering him so i think its a bit of both, he's being honest in a ruder way to make her shut up.
Whether or not he means it is a different story because it would depend on how close they are, what sort of relationship they have, the tone he says it in etc. But again, as he's narcissistic, i wouldn't be surprised if he meant it

yeah he said it in terms of hes better looking than everyone

The only thing that makes me question whether he was being honest was because of how exaggerated his comments were, thats what I told her, for someone to rate someone a 3/10 they would have to be extreamly unattractive, there was some underlying truth to it but it was very exagerrated, I know people have opinions but this was just too unrealistic which makes me think there might have been an external factor

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending