The Student Room Group

Can you go straight for a Masters instead of a bachelors?

Just wondering if it's possible? Can you go straight for the masters course without doing the bachelors first? for example I was looking at EEE Engineering and the prospectus looks exactly the same up until the 4th year... Wasn't sure so thought I'd ask
You can do an integrated Master's, which has an additional 4th year. It's particularly popular for engineering, you come out with a single MEng instead of having to do two separate degrees.
Reply 2
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
You can do an integrated Master's, which has an additional 4th year. It's particularly popular for engineering, you come out with a single MEng instead of having to do two separate degrees.

So for example, http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/programmes/h602-meng-electrical-and-electronic-engineering

Is that the sort of thing you mean?

Yes, that's right. In most cases, the content will be identical to the BEng in years 1, 2 and 3. After year 3, the BEng students will leave with their Bachelor's degrees while others stay on for the extra year to get the MEng.
Reply 4
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
Yes, that's right. In most cases, the content will be identical to the BEng in years 1, 2 and 3. After year 3, the BEng students will leave with their Bachelor's degrees while others stay on for the extra year to get the MEng.

So I could apply straight for that and similar courses at other UNI's? Thankyou!
Original post by Ryanx623
So I could apply straight for that and similar courses at other UNI's? Thankyou!

Yep, just bear in mind that the MEng often has slightly higher entry requirements. It's quite easy to transfer from BEng to MEng during the course of your degree as long as you're getting decent results. So if you're unsure if you can get the grades, it might be worth applying for the BEng instead and switching afterwards.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending