The Student Room Group

Opinions about a masters in Mathematics?

I am currently doing a maths degree and am expecting to achieve a first. I am in my final year but I really don't feel ready to get a proper job yet and want to stay in uni forever. I do like the student life and i don't want it to end. I am also worried that a masters in maths will be too hard? Is it a massive jump from bcs level?? Do you have to be super smart to do a masters? I wouldn't say i'm the smartest in the class but I do enjoy learning maths and i am kinda smart.
Depends on two things:
1. Is your bsc focussed on pure, or applied maths?
2. Do you feel you have the sufficient knowledge to get a job doing something you enjoy?

Question 1 is because a degree on pure maths is excellent for doing research, but if you want a job in say operational research or data analysis, you may want to consider a masters degree in said area. However, if you want a job that involves pure maths (cant think of any off the top of my head but I'm sure they exist), a masters may not be needed.

Question 2 is because masters degrees are VERY varied. My maths masters is operational research, very very different to pure maths. Also, an msc in "mathematics" in some universities will remain pure, in some will contain lots of studies on cryptography, operational research etc. Basically, Msc in Mathematics is quite an umbrella term and you definitely want to look into several options for it.

Also, you may not enjoy an industry job life, and you may instead want to go into researching entirely, in which either a masters, or even straight to a PhD is plausible! You definitely want to have a chat with your personal tutor on this.

In terms of difficulty, all I can say is the usual twaddle of "as long as you're motivated, it's definitely possible". Choose a masters you enjoy, and you should be up for it

edit:- for reference, my bsc was heavily applied, I chose a masters to enhance the knowledge, but I reckon I could very much get a job without the masters. This is simply because I enjoy learning (and need a year to decide what to do shhhh)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by itsyahg
I am currently doing a maths degree and am expecting to achieve a first. I am in my final year but I really don't feel ready to get a proper job yet and want to stay in uni forever. I do like the student life and i don't want it to end. I am also worried that a masters in maths will be too hard? Is it a massive jump from bcs level?? Do you have to be super smart to do a masters? I wouldn't say i'm the smartest in the class but I do enjoy learning maths and i am kinda smart.

No. No. No.
Ah, the sweet nostalgia of university life! I understand that you may feel reluctant to bid farewell to those cherished student days. But fear not, for a master's in Mathematics could be the perfect continuation of my academic journey. While it may indeed present new challenges, I can consider it an exciting leap rather than an insurmountable abyss.

The transition from bachelor's to master's level is indeed significant, but it also opens doors to deeper exploration and specialization in mathematical realms. I won't fret about needing to be a super genius; my passion for learning and enjoyment of math are solid foundations. Plus, the beauty of pursuing a master's online is the flexibility it offers.
Wanna learn more about masters in Mathematics Click here
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest