The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Strand Campus Accommodation

While I was searching for KCL accommodation, I found that most of them were around/on Guy's Campus, but I read that English is mainly taught at the Strand Campus. Does anyone have any recommendations for sociable, self-catered (preferable affordable) accommodation that's convenient for the Strand Campus? I've heard that longer commutes to lectures in first year are advised to be avoided and I've never lived in London before so I want to make sure I make the right choices.. Thanks a lot!
Original post by niicoleew
While I was searching for KCL accommodation, I found that most of them were around/on Guy's Campus, but I read that English is mainly taught at the Strand Campus. Does anyone have any recommendations for sociable, self-catered (preferable affordable) accommodation that's convenient for the Strand Campus? I've heard that longer commutes to lectures in first year are advised to be avoided and I've never lived in London before so I want to make sure I make the right choices.. Thanks a lot!

Hi there Nicole,

Congratulations on your offer for English :smile: Are you excited about moving to London? You are right that most of your degree will be taught at the Strand Campus - and actually a lot of our student from there do live in the accommodation surrounding Guys. They all have good access to The Strand Campus via a direct 15 minute bus ride, via the underground (also about 15 minutes) or you can walk which takes about 30 minutes or so and the route takes you across the river which has a lovely view of Big Ben and the London Eye... You may find other people in your residences going to lectures at the same time too.

Perhaps you could come and visit the Strand Campus for a tour one afternoon and trial out the walk or bus ride? We either have an exclusive offer holder event on Wednesday the 29 April or you can register for a tour at a time that suits you.

Offer Holder event: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/offerholders/undergraduate/events.aspx
Strand Tour: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/visit/tours.aspx

Hope that helps - let me know if you have further questions?

Kerri
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by King’s College London
Hi there Nicole,

Congratulations on your offer for English :smile: Are you excited about moving to London? You are right that most of your degree will be taught at the Strand Campus - and actually a lot of our student from there do live in the accommodation surrounding Guys. They all have good access to The Strand Campus via a direct 15 minute bus ride, via the underground (also about 15 minutes) or you can walk which takes about 30 minutes or so and the route takes you across the river which has a lovely view of Big Ben and the London Eye... You may find other people in your residences going to lectures at the same time too.

Perhaps you could come and visit the Strand Campus for a tour one afternoon and trial out the walk or bus ride? We either have an exclusive offer holder event on Wednesday the 29 April or you can register for a tour at a time that suits you.

Offer Holder event: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/offerholders/undergraduate/events.aspx
Strand Tour: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/visit/tours.aspx

Hope that helps - let me know if you have further questions?

Kerri

Hi Kerri,

Thank you very much! I'm super excited to move to London (fingers crossed I pass my finals). That's actually very reassuring to know that others would have to take that route too. I would love to come and look around but sadly I am in China at the moment and won't be coming back until June, and by then I will have already submitted my preferences.

Thank you for your help!
Hi Nicole,

So glad I could help :smile: Have a great time in China until June - you could always join us online next Thursday, we will have the Accommodation Team and current students in the Arts and Humanities booth online between 10am-5pm (BST) to answer any questions you have, may help put your mind at ease? Here is the link if you'd like to join us: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/offerholders/undergraduate/virtual-fair.aspx.

All the best,

Kerri
Reply 4
Hi, I'm just finishing my first year at KCL studying English and I stayed at SSA. The 10 minute walk across the bridge for lectures is so handy and I would fully recommend putting it as your first choice. All the rooms are ensuite and although they aren't in the nicest decoration it's livable and the kitchens are usually a really good size. I've found SSA really sociable, especially in the month of fresher's and it's soooo much easier to go on nights out from SSA as it's closer to most of the places you'll be going! If you have any other questions feel free to ask!
Reply 5
Original post by leapfrog
Hi, I'm just finishing my first year at KCL studying English and I stayed at SSA. The 10 minute walk across the bridge for lectures is so handy and I would fully recommend putting it as your first choice. All the rooms are ensuite and although they aren't in the nicest decoration it's livable and the kitchens are usually a really good size. I've found SSA really sociable, especially in the month of fresher's and it's soooo much easier to go on nights out from SSA as it's closer to most of the places you'll be going! If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Hi,

I was actually thinking of putting SSA as my top choice so that's really reassuring! Although when I went to a guided tour last summer the girl said that demand for SSA was very high... Is SSA like a flat setup where it's like multiple rooms and shared kitchen/living room, or more like halls where it's just the rooms on a long corridor with the kitchen at the end?

Thanks so much for your response, it was really helpful!
Reply 6
Original post by niicoleew
Hi,

I was actually thinking of putting SSA as my top choice so that's really reassuring! Although when I went to a guided tour last summer the girl said that demand for SSA was very high... Is SSA like a flat setup where it's like multiple rooms and shared kitchen/living room, or more like halls where it's just the rooms on a long corridor with the kitchen at the end?

Thanks so much for your response, it was really helpful!

Pick SSA for proximity. Pick Moonraker for luxury. The rest all have their pros and cons. But do not pick JM! :smile:
I was at Great Dover St last year and it was honestly the best choice for Strand campus. It was close enough to Central that you don't have to trek across London but also not too close. I have friends that lived at Stamford St last year and although it it just over the bridge from Somerset house they didn't get to know as many sides to London as I did. Because they lived so close it made them quite lazy about their surroundings. GDS is the same layout and furnishings as Stamford St but it's double the size and I found I lived with more science and med students which is actually more fun than just living with arts students if you are one. Personal choice I guess but living in Borough was lovely, especially as you are literally a short walk from London Bridge, Borough Market (food is out of this world!), historic southwark, Tate modern, millennium bridge and the globe theatre. There's nothing like strolling up South Bank on your way to uni.

Quick Reply

Latest