The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by swopnil
so i was wondering what the average score of all applicants and those who are successful are, and what each score/points mean? particularly for the interview score.
thanks

The meaning of the scores is:

10 Exceptional candidate - must take
9 Very strong - definitely worth an offer
8 Strong - worth an offer
7 Probably worth an offer
6 Possibly worth an offer
5 Doubtful of an offer
4 Weak
1-3 Probably unacceptable

The average interview score of all applicants to Medicine at Peterhouse last year was 6.1 and for successful applicants was 7.6. However, it is once again important to stress that the interview is no more and no less important than any other piece of information about your application and that no one piece of information is ever considered in isolation. As a result, there are always unsuccessful applicants who score higher at interview than some candidates we make offers to.
Original post by Gaiaphage
Just thought of another question(s) for Peterhouse - it's such a great opportunity to talk to an admissions tutor etc. so I might as well use it!

Are all offers (for 2015 entry and possibly onwards if known) A*A*A with the A*s in Biology and Chemistry and the A in Maths (If the applicant is doing bio/chem/maths) or are other offers given, and what may the reasons be if other offers are given to people studying these three subjects?

Also, how 'lenient' are Peterhouse on narrowly missed offers, and do you think that would be similar for all colleges?

Thank you!

Hi,

All offers are set individually on a case-by-case basis - hence A*A*A is only a 'typical' offer rather than the offer always set. Different offers might be set for a variety of reasons, but the typical offer is given to the vast majority of offer holders. At Peterhouse, the subjects are rarely specified - offers would therefore be something like "A*A*A in any order in....". Other colleges may differ in their approach to this. Only Chemistry is essential for Medicine, other science subjects are advantageous.

Candidates who narrowly miss an offer are dealt with on a case-by-case basis and we don't have any hard and fast rules about this. It depends, amongst other things, on how many other people have missed their offer and how narrow the miss was. Medicine is a little unusual in that the colleges do not have flexibility in terms of the number of students they can admit as the number of Medicine undergraduates across the whole University is capped by the Department for Health. To ensure that the numbers are met across the University, each year a number of candidates in Medicine are made open offers - they are set conditional offers by the University but are not assigned to a College. These open offer-holders are used to make up the places where candidates miss their conditional offers at one of the colleges. No offers will be relaxed until the open offer-holders who met their conditions have been allocated, and the Summer Pool has taken place. This process operates differently in Medicine to most other subjects.

(The Summer Pool is an opportunity for the colleges to compare candidates who have narrowly missed their offers, and ensures that candidates aren't disadvantaged by how 'lenient' their particular college is).
Original post by SweatyColon
Do you think students who usually average 95%+ in their top 3 subjects are in a lot better position than a student who averages around 85%? How much of a difference does it really make - is it rare you don't interview someone with 95%+ average?

Students with such a high average in their top 3 (science) subjects would certainly look to be strong candidates, but marks at ~85% would not exclude other applicants from getting an interview, as long as their school record, BMAT and similar data was otherwise good.
Original post by skyakdu
Hi, I was wondering how you would view applicants who had previously been unsuccessful at Cambridge and other universities in the previous application for medicine and chose to apply again to Cambridge in their gap year? Would you expect them to undertake further academic work in their gap year?

Would you hope for them to have a high ums overall (above 95%) or would just having 3A*s with low 90s in bio/chem/maths be sufficient to stand a realistic chance of an offer?

Also, how would their interview be different, compared to if they were a year 13 student?

Thank you for your help in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, thanks for posting!

Reapplications are broadly treated the same as first time applications (in terms of assessment, exam grades etc.). Our experience is often that post-A students being a little older can handle some of the questions better they have covered the whole course rather than part of it, and are also that bit older and we take this into account when assessing the overall scoring.
Original post by tomfailinghelp
What is the strangest question you have ever asked an interviewee?

Strange?? Never!

We ask questions that are meant to provoke thinking, rather than answers.
Original post by swopnil

by the way, since medicine doesn't have a centralized system where if you get 93+ ums you will get automatically get pooled, so what sort of applicants do you decide to put through the winter pool?

thanks

It is true that there aren't any compulsory pooling criteria in Medicine, apart from allowances for cases where interviews malfunction or where interviewers strongly disagree in their assessment of a candidate. Otherwise we will tend to pool any candidate where we feel that they would deserve a place but where we are unable to offer it at Peterhouse mostly because we have more good candidates than we have places. Similarly, we know that there are many very talented applicants to be found in the pool, having been placed there by other colleges.

This is true of all subjects - the majority of people who are pooled are 'discretionary' rather than 'compulsory.' I think rather too much importance is given to compulsory pooling on the basis of UMS here on TSR, and the other reasons candidates are pooled tend to be overlooked. This is especially important given that c. 40% of applicants don't have UMS and the fact that we look to lose much UMS information with the transition to linear A levels.
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
x

nice, thank you1
Reply 67
I'd be interested to hear whether or not you consider Maths, either at AS or A level, to be preferable (or even essential) for Medicine?
x

hello,
i was just vaguely made aware of the 'cashing-in' system of AS grades today. And apparently in our school, we can choose if we want to cash in our grades or not.
so i was wondering if it will affect my application if i decide to not cash in the grades, or vice versa. and what do you recommend i do?

to be honest i still don't really get what cashing in means, so apologies if this makes no sense at all.

thanks.
Thank you very much for answering my previous question. I would just like to know would you look more favourably on a candidate who had a 95% UMS average consistently in all modules or one who had the same overall average but lower marks in practical examinations with higher marks in written papers?
Thanks very much
Original post by Soraia
I'd be interested to hear whether or not you consider Maths, either at AS or A level, to be preferable (or even essential) for Medicine?

Hi,

Maths is one of the four major sciences (Chemsitry, Biology, Physics, Maths) of which we generally want three. Chemistry is deemed essential, but all of the other three have benefits in medicine. So Maths is a very good science, and important but not essential.
Reply 71
Hi,

Maths is one of the four major sciences (Chemsitry, Biology, Physics, Maths) of which we generally want three. Chemistry is deemed essential, but all of the other three have benefits in medicine. So Maths is a very good science, and important but not essential.

Thank you. Is there any preference or advantage for applicants with Bio/ Chem/ Maths rather than Bio/ Chem/ Physics (where the 4th subject is non-science) and would you look for evidence of mathematical ability beyond an A* at GCSE if Physics rather than Maths is offered?
I realise that the info on the website gives no preference but it also states that, theoretically, only one science pass need be at A2 level so I am wary of taking it at face value.
Original post by Soraia
Thank you. Is there any preference or advantage for applicants with Bio/ Chem/ Maths rather than Bio/ Chem/ Physics (where the 4th subject is non-science) and would you look for evidence of mathematical ability beyond an A* at GCSE if Physics rather than Maths is offered?
I realise that the info on the website gives no preference but it also states that, theoretically, only one science pass need be at A2 level so I am wary of taking it at face value.

There is no preference - either combination of subjects is good preparation for our course and we do not require any mathematics beyond GCSE. As many science subjects as possible is advantageous, but we do not require more than 3 A levels.
Just a reminder that there's only two days left on this thread! We will be closing the thread at 5:30 on Friday, but will answer any and all questions until then!

For non-Medics, our next all-subjects Ask the Admissions Team thread will run from the 11th May for two weeks.
Reply 74
Hi again!

How much do you look into the context of a school as one of your selection factors? I go to a private school and I've heard 'rumours and whisperings' that a private educated student has to 'do better' at interview compared to an academically very similar state educated pupil and I just want to know if this is looked as a factor and if so, how much does it impact your decisions?

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
First of all some important background information: Although there is no centralised "established formula" to rank candidates in medicine (or another subject for that matter) there are extremely good reasons for this. Such a centralised formula would, in fact, be most unfair. The reasons for this is that individuals and individual circumstances count and what Cambridge and the colleges do is to assess each application considering all the information that we have access to. Even for UK candidates who are studying for A levels, we do not simply have ranking criteria based on GCSE grades, UMS scores, BMAT exams. We take into account many other things, including school (not just school type but the GCSE school and sixth form college or equivalent) records in terms of average performance of students in GCSE and A level.

We also have information on other possible factors, such as looked-after children, low participation neighbourhood, schools with few Oxbridge offers in the past, socio-economic area group etc. We also have additional information from school references and, in some cases, the extenuating circumstances form, that contribute to our overall assessment of an application and whether the candidate should be called for interview and what can expect from them at interview. In addition, we get an increasingly large number of candidates applying from all over the EU (counted as Home students) and the rest of the world. Even from the UK, many of our candidates are not taking A levels, and from outside the UK, the majority of candidates are not taking A levels. Together this means that about 40% of our applicants don't have Merit Scores. Any ranking on the basis of examination results alone (including the BMAT) would be impossible and unfair. What the BMAT does is provide additional information (on how all candidates applying have done relative to each other) and therefore allows us to make decision on the candidates we invite for interview. I hope this provides a clear picture on why a centralised scoring system is not appropriate (even if it would lighten the load for all the academics involved in the admissions selection process).

The enormous differences in academic profile between candidates is the biggest reason why we can't simply plug numbers into a regression formula and pick the best - candidates aren't interchangeable and similar information about different candidates can paint a dramatically different picture. For example, to return to UMS data, 90% UMS at a school where that is barely above average gives a different impression to where that is the highest score anyone has ever achieved at that school. A regression model approach would strip out this extra contextual information in favour of easily quantifiable metrics.

With regards to the differences between colleges with regards to the degree to which BMAT is considered a good indicator of academic ability, there are perhaps slight differences in view (and I am sure if you went to other Medical Schools you would find academics involved in admissions that do not all have exactly the same view). However, there are no major differences in how different colleges view the BMAT, and you will find that ALL colleges look at each application carefully and holistically before making any decision. Decisions are never based on BMAT alone.

Thanks for the reply. :smile: Interesting to read. Whilst I obviously don't dispute anything in your reply, I was especially interested in your answers to my points about the evidence basis of interviews, which your reply didn't really address.

See this section of my post:

"But surely there needs to be an evidence base to know if the interview actually does assess intellect and ability to think and manage the course? Obviously I have no experience of conducting admissions, but to me, a correlation of 0.078 doesn't really sound especially convincing. That's why I asked if there had been any other research done into them at Cambridge, but you didn't mention any in your reply...

I mean, if a clinican said, "Oh, I think we should prescribe the patient Drug X. I think it's really good at treating hypertension. The only study done shows that it's no better than placebo, but we've been using it for a while, so I feel that it's the right choice, in my expert opinion", he would quite rightly be criticised! We are always taught about the importance of evidence/research in medicine, so placing a high weighting on an admissions metric that doesn't seem to have much/any evidence seems odd from my point-of-view.

If the DOSes think that interviews are good at assessing intellect and ability, but the research shows negligible correlation with measurable outcomes, I'd be questioning what they were basing their opinions on."

Do you have any thoughts on that? Essentially I'm asking if there's evidence that Cambridge interviews are a good way of selecting students.
Original post by Questioner1234
Thank you very much for answering my previous question. I would just like to know would you look more favourably on a candidate who had a 95% UMS average consistently in all modules or one who had the same overall average but lower marks in practical examinations with higher marks in written papers?
Thanks very much

Hi,

The overall average score is (by far) the most important, but we can also see all modules. The exact answer depends a little on how much variation there is in marks between modules - a few percent difference isn't really of interest.
Original post by swopnil
hello,
i was just vaguely made aware of the 'cashing-in' system of AS grades today. And apparently in our school, we can choose if we want to cash in our grades or not.
so i was wondering if it will affect my application if i decide to not cash in the grades, or vice versa. and what do you recommend i do?

to be honest i still don't really get what cashing in means, so apologies if this makes no sense at all.

thanks.

No, it won't make a difference. The SAQ asks you to list the scores in each module, and whether you intend to resit them so it doesn't matter if you cash them in or not as we get the information from the SAQ.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Thanks for the reply. :smile: Interesting to read. Whilst I obviously don't dispute anything in your reply, I was especially interested in your answers to my points about the evidence basis of interviews, which your reply didn't really address.

See this section of my post:

"But surely there needs to be an evidence base to know if the interview actually does assess intellect and ability to think and manage the course? Obviously I have no experience of conducting admissions, but to me, a correlation of 0.078 doesn't really sound especially convincing. That's why I asked if there had been any other research done into them at Cambridge, but you didn't mention any in your reply...

I mean, if a clinican said, "Oh, I think we should prescribe the patient Drug X. I think it's really good at treating hypertension. The only study done shows that it's no better than placebo, but we've been using it for a while, so I feel that it's the right choice, in my expert opinion", he would quite rightly be criticised! We are always taught about the importance of evidence/research in medicine, so placing a high weighting on an admissions metric that doesn't seem to have much/any evidence seems odd from my point-of-view.

If the DOSes think that interviews are good at assessing intellect and ability, but the research shows negligible correlation with measurable outcomes, I'd be questioning what they were basing their opinions on."

Do you have any thoughts on that? Essentially I'm asking if there's evidence that Cambridge interviews are a good way of selecting students.

We conduct out own in-house research and the correlations vary between interviewers, but are generally better than that.

There are at least 4 important thing to bear in mind with regard to this approach, any of which could be considered fatal to your idea of providing evidence this way. 1 problem is that we only get exam results from those who are admitted and these generally have average interview scores in the range of 6-9 only. Very few candidates score an average of 3 and go on to sit a Tripos exam, so the full range of exam results, from fail to starred first, is clustered basically around average interview scores of 7. The second problem is that the correlations obtained are extremely variable depending on how you weight the exam results - is a first twice as good as a 2.2, or only 1.2 times better? We can't just plug percentages in as these are not necessarily comparable between years. The next issues concern the Medicine course specifically. In the third year, medical students take the third year of any of our degrees. Most choose a biological science, but students can choose anything from Anglo-Saxon to Theology. The third year results are extremely variable and its not clear why a medicine interview should be expected to be any good at assessing a candidate's ability to study English, for example. The last issue was touched on previously, and is the issue of the relationship between doing well at Cambridge exams and being a good doctor. We are primarily interested in training and preparing our medical students for their medical careers and exams are an imperfect way of measuring this.

Another thing to think about regarding your analogy is what is the placebo we're comparing against? As mentioned before, we can't use exam results as candidates come to us from a huge range of educational backgrounds and each candidate has an individual story with challenges and difficulties unique to each student.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by nurav11
Hi again!

How much do you look into the context of a school as one of your selection factors? I go to a private school and I've heard 'rumours and whisperings' that a private educated student has to 'do better' at interview compared to an academically very similar state educated pupil and I just want to know if this is looked as a factor and if so, how much does it impact your decisions?

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

We do look at school context, but this is done on a school-by-school basis rather than simply state-independent as we know that this information is much more detailed and complicated than the broad brush of school type. The expectations at interview will depend to some extent on your background: whether you are from a high-achieving or lower-achieving school (either state or independent), which A levels you have studied, whether you are post A level, a mature applicant or have already completed a degree etc. We do this to ensure the process if fair and that nobody is disadvantaged.

Latest

Trending

Trending