The Student Room Group

Why does China stick with the whole communist image?

China is so capitalist these days. If Russia could get rid of the communist image, why can't China? Why all the red and sickles?
Reply 1
It's just easier for a start. The population of China is like 5x the population of the Soviet Union even at its peak.
Orwellian reasons. Plus there are probably still genuine Marxists in government that think they are steering society towards communism.
Because communism is a convenient excuse to keep the oligarchy in power and it keeps the masses subdued and living in false hope. "Yeah don't worry guys, we'll give you your Marxist paradise soon enough, just trust us we have it all under control. Now get back to your sweatshops!"
Reply 4
It was for the sake of creating a Communist utopia that the Communist Party seized power from the Republic of China after twenty years of civil war. Therefore, if the party now admits that actually the state isn't Communist after all, it's effectively announcing to the world that the PRC has been illegitimate all along and that the party has no reason to stay in power.
To maintain the power of the party.
I think countries like Vietnam and China believe (or say they believe) the communist utopia can only be achieved when society has prospered, so naturally free trade is a step to that. But as far as we can see, communism is not realistic and I doubt they would ever achieve enough wealth for it to work and even if they had (China maybe), people would not give up their money so easily. Anyhow, seeing it as how it is now, the communist party in China only exists because the rich people are doing well and the politics isn't harming them, while the poor are too poor to think about politics, and above all, everybody has been brought up to trust the Party and in a education system that has little emphasis on politics and critical thinking. Well and the government, why would they give up all the power with virtually nobody pressuring them into doing so? Nowadays (I'm only talking about China and Vietnam), communism is just politics. It means a single party rather than equal distribution of wealth (its core idea).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending