The Student Room Group

History A levels

Hi!
I’m in year 11 and i have to choose my subjects for A levels now. I was thinking of doing history as it is one of my strongest subject so i just wanted to make sure if history A level is worth it or is it interesting??
Reply 1
Original post by username6626322
Hi!
I’m in year 11 and i have to choose my subjects for A levels now. I was thinking of doing history as it is one of my strongest subject so i just wanted to make sure if history A level is worth it or is it interesting??

I think definitely look at the content of the course you’d be completing in the school you’re interested in doing your a levels in- my course has been communist states in the 20th century (The USSR and Communist China) and the second part being Lancastrians, Yorkists and Henry the VII. I honestly really love it and find it so engaging and interesting and it helped that I was aware of what topics I’d be studying before.

Also if possible- if you‘re staying at the same school, I’d suggest looking at what teachers teach the topics because your teacher would definitely make a difference as to your interest in the subject. That being said if you love the subject, don’t be put off if you’re not too keen on the teacher teaching it- if the topic interests you I say go for it!

Last thing, most schools-not sure about yours but I’m assuming yours would too- allow for changes in your subjects to be made a few weeks in so if you can’t see yourself doing the course you can switch subjects in the first few weeks-worst comes to worst. From my experience they usually make the first few weeks a bit more challenging so that people who aren’t willing to put in the effort might leave so I’d say, if it interests you should definitely stick it out! I honestly love it but definitely check what topics you’d be studying and maybe read a few pages of an a level textbook to see what your content would be. Good luck, it’ll all work out so don’t stress about it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest