The Student Room Group

I am a hijabi british somali .ask me anything

Ask me anything

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Alla walaal. maashan ka carar. ummad balaaya ah ayaa maashan soo taagan. Gaalo futto cad maxaad asxaan ugu dayaysaa?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Salam aleikum sis, how does it feel to be a hijabi in britain, is there any discrimination?.
are you allowed to marry outside the somali community?
Reply 4
Dont u speak english?, hw do u communicate in britain if u dont speak english?:-@
Reply 5
Original post by Idris11
Dont u speak english?, hw do u communicate in britain if u dont speak english?:-@

lol. what are you on about? are you somali?
Reply 6
Original post by gr8wizard10

no I'm not. i have to marry a farah or abdi. since she's gone offline I've decided to answer all the q's for her as I'm a somali hijabi too
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Idris11
Salam aleikum sis, how does it feel to be a hijabi in britain, is there any discrimination?.

there is a lot of discrimination. people giving you dirty looks in the streets, spitting on you or next to you, not being allowed to sit upstairs in the bus or you'll get weird looks, getting kicked out of restaurants, etc
Reply 8
Why you wear hijab if you are in the country that has different culture? If you like your culture so much why do you come here?
Who closes the door when the bus driver gets off?
Reply 10
Original post by Ravenous
Who closes the door when the bus driver gets off?

??? the bus driver closes it from outside probably?
Reply 11
Original post by Nottie
Why you wear hijab if you are in the country that has different culture? If you like your culture so much why do you come here?

Why are living in the UK and liking your own culture mutually exclusive?
Also, I think she said 'British somali' meaning she was born in Britain, so she didn't 'come here'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Squirb
Why are living in the UK and liking your own culture mutually exclusive? Also, I think she said 'British somali' meaning she was born in Britain, so she didn't 'come here' Posted from TSR Mobile

then her parents came here. And my culture is fairly similar to British one and when it isn't I adapt to the British one. Wearing hijab as far as I know was never part of Western Europe culture
Reply 13
Original post by Nottie
then her parents came here. And my culture is fairly similar to British one and when it isn't I adapt to the British one. Wearing hijab as far as I know was never part of Western Europe culture

That's your own choice, and wearing hijab is her choice. No one forces you to sacrifice your culture just to conform to Western standards. Her culture may mean more to her than yours does to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Squirb
That's your own choice, and wearing hijab is her choice. No one forces you to sacrifice your culture just to conform to Western standards. Her culture may mean more to her than yours does to you. Posted from TSR Mobile

Just because I can accept that if I come to other country and benefit from living here I should accept the culture doesn't mean my culture means less to me. I hate people who come to other countries and then moan how bad it is and how their country is better. If you come to Europe, behave in European way.
Original post by Keke000
Alla walaal. maashan ka carar. ummad balaaya ah ayaa maashan soo taagan. Gaalo futto cad maxaad asxaan ugu dayaysaa?

i only understood a little anyway hii
Original post by Nottie

Maybe the country needs some difference. Difference = makes a more interesting and diverse multicultural country :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Idris11

wa alaykumus salam, so far i haven't experienced discrimination and being a hijabi is the best feeling:smile:
Original post by gr8wizard10

yes i am aloud to marry outside the community, its no problem.But i am not aloud to marry outside the religion(Muslim). :smile:
Original post by Idris11

English is my first language :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest