The Student Room Group

Dating someone more talented/intelligent than you

Would you date someone more intelligent/talented than you? Not just academically, but let's say they could play 5 different instruments and were really good at sport and so on...

Personally I'd feel quite intimidated, even just being friends with them, like I'd constantly have to live up to their expectations.

Scroll to see replies

Yes I would, though it hasn't happened yet.
yeah why not lol
Reply 3
i find intelligent and talented women to be a HUGE turn on.
so no i wouldn't care
I would. I'm not particularly talented but I'm pretty cool myself.
Reply 5
Of course, talent, competence and intellect is attractive.
I'd be impressed if I could find someone who could play more instruments than me, be smarter than me and sportier than me.:redface:
Of course. I'd find it attractive.

Spoiler

I can't think of anything better than having someone who can elevate you intellectually. I'd much rather that than have to constantly converse with someone far duller.
Depends how large this gap would be. At Oxford there are many young women that had a lot of social capital passed on from their parents: they can often speak many languages, play instruments and have been paid for to travel the world.

At the same time, I can do things that they cannot. Very few know about agricultural economics, field fertilization - natural and chemical - and good farm animal husbandry.

We the Finnish farmers also have high standards

Spoiler

It's the best thing ever. I'de be their slave. Simple as.
Reply 11
Not hard to do.
Intelligence and talent is attractive, but I don't want to be made to feel inferior. For me, the best situation is where people have different skills and so complement one another. e.g. my boyfriend plays the guitar and I'm in awe of him for that, but I'm a good swimmer and he's always mesmerised by my "aquatic undulations".
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I.would,think of the interesting conversations.
I'm 21 and fancy an older guy (32) whom I know right now, and am in this kind of situation. Its torture. I'm very sure he likes me back or at least finds me physically attractive, but I don't even have a degree yet (going as a mature student) and my career is up and down, and I've had an abusive family/depression so barely travelled/done much at all. Whereas he's worked and travelled the world and done so much stuff, and is an amazing rower and been up and down the country rowing for his university. even most girls i know my age have done more than me.

I'm also scared he might judge me due to my depression b/c hes usually nice but I heard him say some dodgy things about celebrities with MH issues before.

:frown:
Reply 15
Original post by William Pitt
Depends how large this gap would be. At Oxford there are many young women that had a lot of social capital passed on from their parents: they can often speak many languages, play instruments and have been paid for to travel the world.

At the same time, I can do things that they cannot. Very few know about agricultural economics, field fertilization - natural and chemical - and good farm animal husbandry.

We the Finnish farmers also have high standards

Spoiler

What do you think of the Breivik Geofarm brand of fertilizer supply and vegetable growth? I had a friend in Oslo who said it was a blast! However, it was not so well received on the island of Utøya.
Reply 16
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 21 and fancy an older guy (32) whom I know right now, and am in this kind of situation. Its torture. I'm very sure he likes me back or at least finds me physically attractive, but I don't even have a degree yet (going as a mature student) and my career is up and down, and I've had an abusive family/depression so barely travelled/done much at all. Whereas he's worked and travelled the world and done so much stuff, and is an amazing rower and been up and down the country rowing for his university. even most girls i know my age have done more than me.

I'm also scared he might judge me due to my depression b/c hes usually nice but I heard him say some dodgy things about celebrities with MH issues before.

:frown:

Well you sound like you need a cuddle then! :hugs:
If you're constantly feeling like you need to constantly better yourself to be "up to their level", then maybe you weren't meant to date them in the first place?
That's why girls can't handle me.
Original post by Mortifer
Well you sound like you need a cuddle then! :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending