The Student Room Group

how to cover all of gcse maths content in one month

someone pls help

Scroll to see replies

notes
Original post by 4liferzz
someone pls help

i covered the whole of gcse maths in 3 days. 10 hour revision, day and night. good luck
Do a topic practice, do another topic practice, repeat. Remember practice is essential for maths.
Original post by sometimesallith
i covered the whole of gcse maths in 3 days. 10 hour revision, day and night. good luck

corbettmaths is the man
Original post by sometimesallith
corbettmaths is the man

elaborate on your plan and what grade did you get lool

i got a 7 and did 10 hour revision on the course of 3 days just sat on my desk and did it bc i was tired of being a lazy bum and not working hard, so i turned my pain into progress and here i am today good luck
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
someone pls help

mocks in december right? HA, we're already 2/3 done with the mocks.
watch tons of gcse maths walkthroughs by mr tompkhins for aqa, and the edexcel ones too, theyre the same for maths. play x2 speed for efficiency. BAM, even got the hard questions covered. If u see a question u dont know how to do, attempt it. then revise that topic, OR, just watch how mr tompkhins on yt does it. watch more of those videos, then get the hang of it.
Reply 8
someone pls help

HELLO,

I used to be SO BAD AT MATHS. I remember not knowing anything and getting a 3 in my mocks. It was embarrassing. HOWEVER, after using Maths Genie, and doing exam papers and practise questions, I'm proud to say I'm an 8.

When looking at how to revise for a subject like maths, it's all about practise. Continuously do practise questions and get exam practise in your study sessions, as it'll prepare you for the exam.
Print off a checklist of topics for your exam board and go through them, doing the ones you find hardest first. You can Identify your weakest topics by rating each one Red/Amber/Green. Do questions and past papers, I recommend going through Dr Frost Maths Power Points (create an account)
Original post by z4ra.x
HELLO,

I used to be SO BAD AT MATHS. I remember not knowing anything and getting a 3 in my mocks. It was embarrassing. HOWEVER, after using Maths Genie, and doing exam papers and practise questions, I'm proud to say I'm an 8.

When looking at how to revise for a subject like maths, it's all about practise. Continuously do practise questions and get exam practise in your study sessions, as it'll prepare you for the exam.

in a month tho??
Corbettmaths does checklists :yy:
Good luck!
Reply 12
in a month tho??

YES - It is so very doable. Depending on your current grade, I'll show the difficulty level it was for me to get to a Grade 8/9 standard.

GRADES: *The colours determine how easy/hard it is to get on that level*
1-2 Green
2-3 Green
3-4 Amber/Green
4-5 Amber
5-6 Amber
6-7 Red
7-8 Amber/Red
8-9 Amber
Original post by z4ra.x
YES - It is so very doable. Depending on your current grade, I'll show the difficulty level it was for me to get to a Grade 8/9 standard.

GRADES: *The colours determine how easy/hard it is to get on that level*
1-2 Green
2-3 Green
3-4 Amber/Green
4-5 Amber
5-6 Amber
6-7 Red
7-8 Amber/Red
8-9 Amber

wdym by the colour
Reply 14
wdym by the colour

Green = Easy
Amber = Average
Red = Hard
in a month tho??

ok listen, you seem quite stressed as you keep asking ppl if its possible to get it done in a short amount of time rather than actually getting it done so i'm going to tell you as a former maths retake student who also did the exact same thing as you, to get your ass up and start right now, doesn't matter where you start just start from anywhere, corbett maths has a checklist for all the topics foundation or higher depending on your exam board just watch his videos and take notes and do atleast 3 practise questions per topic so you're secure. just sit somewhere and get it done doesn't matter what time it is right now, doesn't matter how long you got left till your exam, all that matters is how much you're going to get done now. grab a pen and don't finish when you're tired, finish when you're done. good luck my friend.
Original post by z4ra.x
HELLO,

Some social scientists love to harp about a so-called ability threshold where after a threshold, practice becomes much more important.

But https://my.vanderbilt.edu/smpy/files/2013/02/Top1in10000.pdf
The top 1 in 10,000 ... different and much steeper trajectory than even the top 1 in 100.
This "difference that makes a difference" casts doubt ... ability threshold.

Practice may not be that important.
Original post by justlearning1469
Some social scientists love to harp about a so-called ability threshold where after a threshold, practice becomes much more important.

But https://my.vanderbilt.edu/smpy/files/2013/02/Top1in10000.pdf
The top 1 in 10,000 ... different and much steeper trajectory than even the top 1 in 100.
This "difference that makes a difference" casts doubt ... ability threshold.

Practice may not be that important.

waffle
waffle

Debunking that practice is the main factor:
"Some researchers and writers, notably psychologist Anders Ericsson at Florida State University in Tallahassee and author Malcolm Gladwell, have popularized the idea of an ability threshold. This holds that for individuals beyond a certain IQ barrier (120 is often cited), concentrated practice time is much more important than additional intellectual abilities in acquiring expertise. But data from SMPY and the Duke talent programme dispute that hypothesis (see 'Top of the charts'). A study published this year12 compared the outcomes of students in the top 1% of childhood intellectual ability with those in the top 0.01%. Whereas the first group gain advanced degrees at about 25 times the rate of the general population, the more elite students earn PhDs at about 50 times the base rate."
Source: https://www.nature.com/articles/537152a

Work through these: https://www.missbsresources.com/teaching-and-learning/mathspassports

Quick Reply

Latest