The Student Room Group

Tricky mechanics question

Show that if the acceleration of the particle at a distance xx metres from the origin is given by 1100(x+100)ms2\displaystyle \frac{1}{100}(x+100) ms^{-2}, then the particle can start with a velocity of 1ms11 ms^{-1} at OO and can have a velocity of 3ms13 ms^{-1} at a distance of 20m20m from OO. Show however that it would take 11s to cover this distance.

I have no clue how to go about this!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
Show that if the acceleration of the particle at a distance xx metres from the origin is given by 1100(x+100)ms1\displaystyle \frac{1}{100}(x+100) ms^{-1}, then the particle can start with a velocity of 1ms11 ms^{-1} at OO and can have a velocity of 3ms13 ms^{-1} at a distance of 20m20m from OO. Show however that it would take 11s to cover this distance.

Write a=dvdt=vdvdxa=\frac{dv}{dt}=v\frac{dv}{dx} and integrate twice.
Reply 2
Original post by atsruser
Write a=dvdt=vdvdxa=\frac{dv}{dt}=v\frac{dv}{dx} and integrate twice.

a=dvdt=dxdtdvdx=vdvdx\displaystyle a = \frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{dx}{dt} \frac{dv}{dx} = v \frac{dv}{dx}

Is this how you get the required form of aa?
Original post by Zacken
a=dvdt=dxdtdvdx=vdvdx\displaystyle a = \frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{dx}{dt} \frac{dv}{dx} = v \frac{dv}{dx}

Yes. It's a standard use of the chain rule that allows you to integrate when you are given accln as a function of displacement (as in SHM).
Reply 4
Original post by Zacken

They've told you what a is!

This form of the chain rule enables you to set up a DE which you can solve for v (and x if necessary) and plug in any boundary conditions.

Was the question actually written the way you typed it - it seems to be phrased very strangely i.e. "can start" and "can have"?
Reply 5
Original post by davros

This form of the chain rule enables you to set up a DE which you can solve for v (and x if necessary) and plug in any boundary conditions.

Was the question actually written the way you typed it - it seems to be phrased very strangely i.e. "can start" and "can have"?

I've copied it down word for word, it is a little strange, but meh. :tongue:

I haven't come across that form of the chain rule before, should come in useful now though. :smile:
Original post by Zacken
Show that if the acceleration of the particle at a distance xx metres from the origin is given by 1100(x+100)ms1\displaystyle \frac{1}{100}(x+100) ms^{-1}, then the particle can start with a velocity of 1ms11 ms^{-1} at OO and can have a velocity of 3ms13 ms^{-1} at a distance of 20m20m from OO. Show however that it would take 11s to cover this distance.

Just pointing out that you have a unit error in the first line. Acceleration should have ms2 ms^{-2} .
Reply 7
Original post by ThatPerson
Just pointing out that you have a unit error in the first line. Acceleration should have ms2 ms^{-2} .

Oopsies, thanks. Fixed now. :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by davros

vdvdx=1100(x+100)\displaystyle v \frac{\mathrm{d} v}{\mathrm{d} x} = \frac{1}{100}(x+100)

v22=1100(x22+100x)+c\displaystyle \Rightarrow \frac{v^2}{2} = \frac{1}{100}\left(\frac{x^2}{2} + 100x\right) +c

Using (0,1) yields c = 1.

v2=x2100+2x+1v^2 = \frac{x^2}{100} + 2x + 1, but this doesn't work out. What am I doing wrong?
Reply 9
Original post by Zacken
vdvdx=1100(x+100)\displaystyle v \frac{\mathrm{d} v}{\mathrm{d} x} = \frac{1}{100}(x+100)

v22=1100(x22+100x)+c\displaystyle \Rightarrow \frac{v^2}{2} = \frac{1}{100}\left(\frac{x^2}{2} + 100x\right) +c

v2=x2100+2x+1v^2 = \frac{x^2}{100} + 2x + 1, but this doesn't work out. What am I doing wrong?

Surely c = 1/2 if v = 1 when x = 0, unless my brain's failing suddenly (which is possible as my internet browser's been playing up today so I keep seeing things that aren't there :smile: ).
Original post by Zacken

I just tried the question, and I arrived at the same expression for v(x), so I think there is a mistake in the question.
Reply 11
Original post by Zacken

Have you given us the complete question?

Can you scan or upload an image of the original? The wording is so strange I'm just suspicious we're missing something!

Is this from an A level paper or a textbook?
Original post by Zacken

Original post by ThatPerson

The question gives the desired answers if the original formula for the acceleration was:

1100(x+10)  ms2\displaystyle \frac{1}{100}(x+10)\; ms^{-2}
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by ghostwalker
The question gives the desired answers if the original formula for the acceleration was:

1100(x+10)  ms2\displaystyle \frac{1}{100}(x+10)\; ms^{-2}

Good spot! :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by davros
Have you given us the complete question?

Can you scan or upload an image of the original? The wording is so strange I'm just suspicious we're missing something!

Is this from an A level paper or a textbook?

This is the full question, not exactly from a textbook or paper, my teacher gave this to me as extension work, no idea where it comes from.

Probably just a type in the question, thanks everybody. PRSOM for you all. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest