The Student Room Group

Can I get in trouble for workplace gossip?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zKlown
Are you the CEO's daughter?

Things are starting to get a little personal. :ninja:
Original post by blue n white army
I'm not worried about getting fired at all. No one will drop me in it and there won't be enough to mount any sort water tight reason for dismissal against me.

Does the company have any sort of social media policy? If so, they could easily dismiss you for this. If not, dismissal would probably be harder, but certainly a written/final warning could be possible.

There are multiple witnesses, and you've sent the photos to other people involved. In any sort of formal meeting, would you trust all these people to lie for you? If there are multiple witnesses stating you took the photos, it will be very hard to lie and say you don't have them.

If you are called in, don't say that everyone spent a day laughing about it. Be contrite, say it happened in a moment of stupidity, and you've since realised it was wrong and won't ever do anything similar again. I would also say you didn't expect things to get so out of hand.

If your families are friends, in some ways, that could make things worse, as the CEO might take things more personally than if you were just a random employee.
Original post by Precious Illusions
Show us the pics

Pic for pic? :wink:
Pic for pic? :wink:

pics cost £5
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Does the company have any sort of social media policy? If so, they could easily dismiss you for this. If not, dismissal would probably be harder, but certainly a written/final warning could be possible.

There are multiple witnesses, and you've sent the photos to other people involved. In any sort of formal meeting, would you trust all these people to lie for you? If there are multiple witnesses stating you took the photos, it will be very hard to lie and say you don't have them.

If you are called in, don't say that everyone spent a day laughing about it. Be contrite, say it happened in a moment of stupidity, and you've since realised it was wrong and won't ever do anything similar again. I would also say you didn't expect things to get so out of hand.

If your families are friends, in some ways, that could make things worse, as the CEO might take things more personally than if you were just a random employee.

Yeah we have a social media policy - I wrote it and it doesn't really cover this sort of thing. Given the nature and size of the organisation I'd say I'll be called in for an informal chat and following my rehearsed grovel I should get an informal *******ing. She has taken a very relaxed informal almost noexistent approach to discipline in the past so hopefully that will work in my favour
pics cost £5

that's well worth it
that's well worth it

I didn't specify what the pic will be of tho
Yeah we have a social media policy - I wrote it and it doesn't really cover this sort of thing. Given the nature and size of the organisation I'd say I'll be called in for an informal chat and following my rehearsed grovel I should get an informal *******ing. She has taken a very relaxed informal almost noexistent approach to discipline in the past so hopefully that will work in my favour

Fair enough. If you've got no specific policies covering this sort of thing then she's unlikely to risk firing you outright for it. If her normal disciplinary action is an informal telling off, then chances are that's what will happen.

Just to confirm, have you worked there for more than 2 years?
I didn't specify what the pic will be of tho

How much are the Bear's Precious Illusion's boobs easter eggs worth?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
How much are the Bear's Precious Illusion's boobs easter eggs worth?

£2.50
£2.50

I'll have two please.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I'll have two please.

instead of a butt pic for £5? Well, sure I mean your choice. I'll send you my PayPal details.
instead of a butt pic for £5?

:eek3:

I have a bum of my own thanks. Don't have boobs though (well, good proper ones anyway).
(edited 9 years ago)
The level of thirst that has appeared has compelled all the water that makes up my body into this thread.
(edited 9 years ago)
Someone please explain to me what right a company has to fire someone for showing other people photos of two employees kissing.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
The level of thirst that has appeared has compelled all the water that makes up my body into this thread.

:pee:
Original post by Birkenhead
Someone please explain to me what right a company has to fire someone for showing other people photos of two employees kissing.

Work's night out is still in the course of employment provided it was organised by work, and not just 5 mates who happen to know each other from work.

Decent argument he's breached implied term of trust and confidence, at a bigger co. the social media policy too in all likelihood.

Then dismiss for breach. Probably not so gross as to be on the spot, one meeting with rep then dismiss.

If he brought a claim under those circumstances I'd give around 60% chance of defending on unfair, maybe a bit less for wrongful.
Original post by Le Nombre
Work's night out is still in the course of employment provided it was organised by work, and not just 5 mates who happen to know each other from work.

Decent argument he's breached implied term of trust and confidence, at a bigger co. the social media policy too in all likelihood.

Then dismiss for breach. Probably not so gross as to be on the spot, one meeting with rep then dismiss.

If he brought a claim under those circumstances I'd give around 60% chance of defending on unfair, maybe a bit less for wrongful.

It wasn't organised by work it was a "I'm leaving, I'll be in X pub at 7 be there for drinks if you fancy" type event. Given that we were all blackout drunk in a night club I don't think that it would be wise to claim it was an official work night out given that I work in the third sector.
It wasn't organised by work it was a "I'm leaving, I'll be in X pub at 7 be there for drinks if you fancy" type event. Given that we were all blackout drunk in a night club I don't think that it would be wise to claim it was an official work night out given that I work in the third sector.

Leaving drinks and birthday drinks are a grey area to be fair, it would turn on the facts.

Everyone getting absolutely hammered doesn't stop something being a work event, at many work places (mine included) it's a fundamental feature.
Original post by zKlown
Delete all ties this has to you.

The stupid thing wasn't taking pictures, it was sending them out.

Good luck bro

I agree; don't lie about it if you are asked, but delete all photos and evidence etc. on your phone.

Quick Reply

Latest