The Student Room Group

Reference Trouble

I know im applying after the January Deadline but this is after my tutors have constantly talked me out of it and ive had enough.

I applied for Lancaster University Computer Science. It is a dream of mine to go there, I am currently doing an apprenticeship and hate it.

I got D,D,D In my BTEC, will this be enough or should I finish my apprenticeship?

I have a second problem, I have been off a few weeks due to an illness and my workplace will refuse to give me a reference because I have been off to much even though ive been there a year and havent been off until then! I think its unfair to not give a reference because of that. What do I do? Will I be allowed to submit before a reference? Im stressed and would love to go there :frown:
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by lancity
I know im applying after the January Deadline but this is after my tutors have constantly talked me out of it and ive had enough.

I applied for Lancaster University Computer Science. It is a dream of mine to go there, I am currently doing an apprenticeship and hate it.

I got D,D,D In my BTEC, will this be enough or should I finish my apprenticeship?

I have a second problem, I have been off a few weeks due to an illness and my workplace will refuse to give me a reference because I have been off to much even though ive been there a year and havent been off until then! I think its unfair to not give a reference because of that. What do I do? Will I be allowed to submit before a reference? Im stressed and would love to go there :frown:

DDD in your BTEC meets Lancaster's entry requirements for Computer Science (source).

Do you also have GCSE Mathematics grade B or 6, and GCSE English Language grade C or 4?

Theoretically you can submit your UCAS application without providing details of a referee, but it's not recommended. It would be more sensible to return to your workplace for a few weeks, and then ask if they'd be happy to be your referee. (Not that you being ill should have any impact here, but you imply that they're not very happy with you right now.)
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
DDD in your BTEC meets Lancaster's entry requirements for Computer Science (source).

Do you also have GCSE Mathematics grade B or 6, and GCSE English Language grade C or 4?

Theoretically you can submit your UCAS application without providing details of a referee, but it's not recommended. It would be more sensible to return to your workplace for a few weeks, and then ask if they'd be happy to be your referee. (Not that you being ill should have any impact here, but you imply that they're not very happy with you right now.)
Yeah I got 6's and 7's im just nervous the longer I wait the less chance I have and other people are impacting the rest of my life it sucks ☹️
Do you have a college tutor you can ask?
I got a conditional offer for Lancaster compsci at BBM so ur grades should be fine the only thing that I’d be worried about is applying after the deadline
Reply 5
Original post by LzTaylor749
I got a conditional offer for Lancaster compsci at BBM so ur grades should be fine the only thing that I’d be worried about is applying after the deadline
yep ☹️ im still waiting on my college to send it off im so scared i wont get it but i really want to go ;( im even doing an apprenticeship i dont really like so that should help me more hopefully my college speeds it up but i feel like people are really screwing me over with the times on things
Original post by lancity
yep ☹️ im still waiting on my college to send it off im so scared i wont get it but i really want to go ;( im even doing an apprenticeship i dont really like so that should help me more hopefully my college speeds it up but i feel like people are really screwing me over with the times on things

that sounds tough, all I can tell you is the sooner u get the application in the better have you finished your personal statement and everything?
Reply 7
Original post by LzTaylor749
that sounds tough, all I can tell you is the sooner u get the application in the better have you finished your personal statement and everything?
all done and paid for with ucas, literally just need college to send it through. to be honest im nervous its too late ☹️ hopefully im not alone but im scared the course will close soon

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending